Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: oxygen in filter system

Tosai

oxygen in filter system

Hi,
    I put this on another forum, and i wondered what you guys think about it ??,

I was told at the weekend by a guy, who works across Europe for water purifying company,
    About oxygen in filter systems,
    And he was telling me that after the initial filter of solids, which need's alot of oxygen,
    That too much oxygen in the actual Biological stages, can cause all kinds of problems, with the good Bacteria, not being able to colonise properly ,as they dont really like too much Oxygen, etc etc,
    And told me that to keep My airstones on in the first filter tank, but to take out my stones in the remaining filters, as this will benefit the good bacteria,
    As too put the airstones in the pond itself where it will be more beneficial ,
    So from my point of view,
    My 2000 Gallon pond,I have in my 1st 25gallon black box filter,
    Settling tank with 6 off Black night brushes,
    2nd 25 Gallon box K1 media, with Airstones FOR Oxygen
    3rd 25 Gallon Box Housing plastic Media,(no airstones now)
    4th 25 Gallon box housing foams, ( again no airstones )
    Then returned to Pond,
    What are your thoughts on his comments, and my set up ?,
    And is there any advice with regards to : is there anything i can put into my last Box, which will help with my Nitrite reading of 0.1
    It doesnt matter how many water changes,
    I still end up with my Nitrite reading of 0.1
    All my other readings are spot on,
    I hoping its just because its a newish filter set up,and hasnt matured yet ,
    And im not sure if i should keep the lids on my filter boxes to keep it as dark as possible, or keep the lids off, to get alot of light ?

MCA
    I will stick with some of the best advice I ever got...get the DO levels in a koi pond, to as near saturation as possible. You want at least 80% saturation.

I run one 100L put on each of the two BDs and another 100L on each of the two Nexus....for 10,000US gallons. With all that aeration,,,,I could still see a huge difference in the koi appetite when I cranked up two short bakki showers this summer. DO is not at or near saturation.

So this guy, does he keep koi at all? I would guess, not.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Poppycock is the lest offensive thought I have about the idea that aerarobic bacteria do not like too much oxygen.

Increasing aeration (oxygen levels) is the single greatest benefit most new koi keepers could make to improve their koi pond systems. Many of the keepers of top quality koi in Holland use oxygen generators in their filter system.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by RayJordan View Post
    Poppycock is the lest offensive thought I have about the idea that aerarobic bacteria do not like too much oxygen.

Increasing aeration (oxygen levels) is the single greatest benefit most new koi keepers could make to improve their koi pond systems. Many of the keepers of top quality koi in Holland use oxygen generators in their filter system.
    Ditto Ray's comments.

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA