Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suda Kohaku from 5" to 14.5" in 4.5 months

Suda Kohaku from 5" to 14.5" in 4.5 months

Thoughts?

First picture is from July 2nd, rest are from today.
    Purchased from Japanese POnd and Koi supply in Marengo, Illinois.

You actually get good growth in your pond...not bad, keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    You actually get good growth in your pond...not bad, keep up the good work.
    Thank you! I'm not sure how or why the growth comes so easily, but it does....

Ethan

Very impressive growth. If you don't mind me asking, what are the specs on your pond: how big, how much water change, what do you feed them, water parameters, etc? Going from 5" to 14.5" in 4.5mos equals an average of 2" a month!!!!! Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Lam Nguyen View Post
    Very impressive growth. If you don't mind me asking, what are the specs on your pond: how big, how much water change, what do you feed them, water parameters, etc? Going from 5" to 14.5" in 4.5mos equals an average of 2" a month!!!!! Wow!
    I know! I was a bit surprised too. I had a longfin yamabuki from the same seller go from 6 inches to 14 as well. They were bought at the same time.

POnd isn't big. 9x13x4 feet depth. Round rectangle, if that makes sense. I do a 20-25% water change maybe once every week, 10 days at most. I have been feeding Yamato Nishiki from Mystickoi for the last half of the summer combined with Blackwater Creek Max. Earlier in the summer it was just the max. Now I am mixing a lower protein cool water Blackwater with the Yamato Nishiki food as temps are dropping quickly in the midwest.

I have wayyy to many fish in my pond, 15 with 10 of them being over 15" and 4 being over 20". I need to cull, but don't know where to take them unless I take them to the cemetery pond that has some koi in it.

Ethan

I think you really need to give more details on your filtration, turnover rate, aeration, etc... to provide Lam with all the useful information he's looking for

First off, aren't you glad you started learning more and improving your stock. You've done a wonderful job of improving everything about you Koi and your Koi KEEPING. Fantastic growth and a pretty solid looking fish.

Now comes the important part.

What is this fish teaching you? What are you seeing about the way it is growing, the stability of pattern and color, the characteristics of the ginrin beni and shiroji vs the facial beni and shiroji...? This Koi has a ton to tell you, and the more it tells you the further along you know you are coming...
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    I think you really need to give more details on your filtration, turnover rate, aeration, etc... to provide Lam with all the useful information he's looking for

First off, aren't you glad you started learning more and improving your stock. You've done a wonderful job of improving everything about you Koi and your Koi KEEPING. Fantastic growth and a pretty solid looking fish.

What is this fish teaching you? What are you seeing about the way it is growing, the stability of pattern and color, the characteristics of the ginrin beni and shiroji vs the facial beni and shiroji...? This Koi has a ton to tell you, and the more it tells you the further along you know you are coming...

Good point. I actually have a 35 gallon drum filled with K1 for the first time. I have a 40 lpm pondmaster airpump boiling the K1. My one bottom drain comes up through a 55 gallon drum with an Answer Unit in it, then to that 35 gallon with K1, then to the Sequence 5800 pump, which is valved down to only push 2100-2300 gph, as that's all the Microscreen can handle.That runs to the aqua 58 watt UV, then to the pond by waterfall.

I also have a 2400 gph pondmaster submersible in the skimmer. This runs through an 18 watt UV to a DIY foam fractionator, back to the pond. I had a working AERATED bottom drain, but I believe it is clogged or collapsed at some point under the pond.

Ethan

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post

The pattern hasn't changed really at all....even on the head, which to me shows the strength of the beni. I don't believe the beni has receded or faded in the 4 months I have had it. Moreso, I am impressed that it has remained as strong as it has through 9 inches of growth. I would eventually like to see a break in the head and shoulder beni to create 3 steps, but it isn't THAT important to me.

The ginrin shiroji is a brilliant white. The head shiroji is a slight off white, but not by much. This really surprises me, because the body is so brilliantly white.

The head hi is definitely a deeper color than the body hi. Isn't this becuase the skin is thinner on the head and the color shows through darker? The ginrin combined with having scales makes the hi on the body appear orange at this point in it's life. This fish was born in July of 07, so I believe it is nisai right now.

For me, it's hard to tell quality of the kiwa and sashi when a fish has ginrin. From what I see, it looks fine, but still very difficult to tell.

tail tube is nice and thick. I want to say female, but that's just cause she's so pretty.

In regard to the head to body ratio, I don't think she lines up with the four and a half rule. CLose, but not quite, unless I made the lines for where the head stops wrong. I haven't ever understood where to stop.

ethan

Ethan,

First off, congrats on achieving some outstanding growth of your fish. Keep that up and I might change my mind on keeping fish in the mud... (at least as far as growth goes!)

I'm impressed with how well the hi plates kept up with the growth of the fish. The ginrin looks a little scattered, and I don't know if that can be affected by growth. Also, gin is so hard to judge from a picture. The shiroji is awesome!

Careful if you have a plugged bottom drain on your pond. You could create a breeding ground for all kinds of anaerobic nasties in the dead water...

Keep up the good work!

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by gcuss View Post
    Ethan,

First off, congrats on achieving some outstanding growth of your fish. Keep that up and I might change my mind on keeping fish in the mud... (at least as far as growth goes!)

I'm impressed with how well the hi plates kept up with the growth of the fish. The ginrin looks a little scattered, and I don't know if that can be affected by growth. Also, gin is so hard to judge from a picture. The shiroji is awesome!

Careful if you have a plugged bottom drain on your pond. You could create a breeding ground for all kinds of anaerobic nasties in the dead water...

Keep up the good work!

Grant
    not a plugged bottom drain, but a collapsed or plugged air diffuser. I should have made that more clear.

Bottom drain still works. Aerated part doesn't.

Ethan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast