Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Transporting Koi with Air? Okay or not

Transporting Koi with Air? Okay or not

was wondering if it be okay to transport 3 12" koi for a 8-10 hrs trip. I don't have any oxygen, and need to transport the koi, thinking of putting air in the bag, air from the gas station for tires. Any thought? thanks

Fry

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by An Ly View Post
    was wondering if it be okay to transport 3 12" koi for a 8-10 hrs trip. I don't have any oxygen, and need to transport the koi, thinking of putting air in the bag, air from the gas station for tires. Any thought? thanks

This is NOT A GOOD IDEA! Unless you know that the air compressor is an oil less air compressor, which most on the market are not. Oil will get passed the pistons in the air lines which you cannot see and then contaminate the air which then the fish will breathe. You are better off using the air from your air stones that you use in your pond. That is generally used though for short trips. Best to find someone who has oxygen....or use a transport tank, large rubber maid of some sort with an inverter. Inverters cost $20.00 at WalMart. Hope this helps.

Honmei
    Inflating a bag with plain air should NEVER be used to transport koi. It simply does not have the O2 concentration nessesary.

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

MCA
    would not put even 1 fry in a bag of just air for 8+ hours.

Get with a fellow club member who has an O2 tank.

You can get a regulator and hose from AES for around $150. You can get a regulator only for around $30 from Harbor Freight. Check with local welding supply companies. They should be able to set you up with a small O2 tank (around 1 cubic foot), regulator, and hose. You just swap in the tank when the O2 is empty. You do NOT need medical grade. Welding grade will do just fine for fish.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

thanks all, for all the input. we drove to petco and the clerk was nice enough to fill the bag up with oxygen, off to southern california we went. thanks again.

An

Tosai
    In regards to this issue - what if the trip were, say, a two day long driving trip?

Would one shot of 02 in a large bag be sufficient?
    Would it be better to somehow have an open top bag with an air bubbler running in it?
    or
    would it be best to take an 02 tank and regulator along and change the 02 in the bag half way?

Thoughts appreciated.

Best way to transport is in a sealed bag. I one time used a air stone with pump but the fish now have something to run into..............

Bag with O2 is the best I have found, but do not add or change the air mid trip. Opening the bag causes some sort of reaction with the water.

If properly inflated it will last 24 to 36 hours. Before filling with O2, remove all the air out of the bag so it is filled completely with O2.......................but take spare air, water, bags & rubber bands in case of an emergency!

Just my 2 cents.......
    Koi Wrangler
    CKHPA

MCA
    what if the trip were, say, a two day long driving trip?

Delta Dash, Fedex, DHL, UPS....etc.

Tosai
    I found that normal air in a bag (use airstone and not oil compressor) is sufficient for max two hours if you keep the water cool. I imported 350 koi from Japan recently and the fish were in the bags with oxygen and the product called "allfish" for 52 hours, no problem. (Niigata, Tokyo, Amsterdam, Johannesburg (SA), Cape Town (SA))

If you open the bags halfway, it might cause a PH swing, and you should not add fresh water halfway.