Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Shutting down waterfall for winter

Shutting down waterfall for winter

Since I am trying to heat my pond over the winter, I was thinking that turning off my waterfall would be a good idea. I have a valve to adjust the amount of flow that goes back to the waterfall or back in to the pond directly.

I ran a heater last winter, but that was when my pond was much smaller, now I have a rennovated pond that is bigger (and I need to start another thread to show it off!) and I am trying to keep my electric bills down if I can.

Should I turn the waterfall completely off, or just lower the flow rate going into it vs. back direcly into the pond?

If I turn the waterfall off, should I drain all the water out of it or leave it full? If I leave it full, should I add an anti-bacterial in it for over the winter (or maybe even just make it a high salt conc to achieve this)?

Even if I drain it, I don't think I can get it completely dry, and it will rain etc, so water will accumulate...since this water in a stagnant waterfall will not be filtered, should I be concerned about the potential for bacteria or fungus to grow in there and perhaps get into the pond? Again if I do drain it, how should I start it back up in the spring, in particular, should I be concerned about getting the water that has been sitting in the stagnant waterfall all winter getting back into the pond?

Sorry about all the questions, but I figured that there are probablly folks around here that have already dealt with this and have some thoughts to share.

Assuming I do goa ahead
    Rockman

Honmei
    Yes, turn off the waterfall providing you have another air source for the pond. Yes, drain it and it would be wise to have a drain that can be left open so that water will not acculmulate in what I believe based on your description is a biofalls? Prior to starting it back up, clean well.

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    Yes, turn off the waterfall providing you have another air source for the pond. Yes, drain it and it would be wise to have a drain that can be left open so that water will not acculmulate in what I believe based on your description is a biofalls? Prior to starting it back up, clean well.

Steve
    Thanks...sounds like good advice...I will leave the drain open. There will still be the chance for each step of the waterfall to have some residual water, and maybe I will just keep a high salt concentration in the water of each step.

I am tihnking this is my last week to enjoy the waterfall before it gets too cold. I do have a couple of bubblers, one on ym bottom drain, one in the waterfall (which I will now move back into the main pond), so I tihnk the fish will get plenty of aeration even without the waterfall. I suppose I will miss the biological filtration I am getting out of the waterfall, but my bead filter should be more than enough to cover the needs.

One additional question...I have some spongy filter material in the watefall (and yes it is similar to biofalls)...should I leave this material in there in the drained waterfall over the winter, or should I remove it, clean it, and keep in clean and dry over the winter awaiting for replacingi t back in the spring?

I believe the bacteria bounce back quicker and stronger each year, so I wouldn't clean it. Unless it's mainly a mechanical filter, then no matter.

Is there someplace in the pond you can keep it? In a mesh bag or something.

Grant