Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Purdin Koi Farm Harvest

Nisai

Purdin Koi Farm Harvest

I have just spent a great three days harvesting tosai at Purdin Koi Farm (in advance of the harvest of their number one pond next weekend). Scott Purdin and the McGurks really are producing some exceptional fish down there in Louisiana.

I have posted pictures over on Koi Shack (and there will be more to follow).

Roger

Nisai
    Additional pics were added late last night.

Thursday I'm off to Purdin

and will have some photos to post on both boards. I want to find a showa and a sanke this time. last month I discovered a Kohaku I could not live without. This saturday is the #1 tosai pond. Most of the stuff is expected to come out 12 to 15 inches in length. ( must be that southern cookin')

I think like most of us with the economy the way it is, a trip to an Ikeage
    is badly needed and so much more affordable closer to home this year. Especially if you can find superlative size and quality.

The first pic is of my kohaku, I named lakota for the indian tribe. Hooks like a red hand print over the dorsal of the Koi.

The second pic is one of a sanke I'm considering on the very bottom right. Love the panda eye but want to see it in the flesh before I decide.

The third pic of showas has one I also want to see up close. It's the second from the left.....

Some kinda wild choices I know, but love the quality and something different
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Purdin Koi Farm Harvest-hand-print-kohaku.jpg   Purdin Koi Farm Harvest-post-387-1225070301_thumb.jpg   Purdin Koi Farm Harvest-rogers.jpg  
    Dick Benbow

Tosai

Trip to Purdin Koi Farm

My trip to Purdin Koi Farm (PKF) - Wow, four days in koi kichi paradise! I didnít take a camera, but fortunately fellow NCKWS member Roger Lias took hundreds to record our experience living and working on a koi farm for a few days in Louisiana. First, our hosts Scott Purdin and Bill & Maureen McGurk showed our families hospitality like I have not experienced in my lifetime. We felt welcomed from the moment we arrived until the moment we left to return home. The food was great, every night with a different cuisine. I am now a fan of Cajun (rice & beans, et tu fe, jambalaya and spicy meat pies with a pepper jelly sauce my favorites).

Let me see if I can take you there thru my eyes.........

We spent two days helping with the ikeage (fall harvest), waders on, pulling the seine net, knee deep in mud, chest deep in water, sock net in hand, helping with the tosai ponds. Each day we pulled up 100-200 (gosanke) tosai from two tosai ponds.

Then came sembetsu - the "sorting" or "grading" of koi. Roger and I looked on with eager eyes and ears in an attempt to absorb and learn all we could while Scott, Bill & Maureen had us move & remove the tosai amongst four or five large blue bowls. We sorted first based on variety (kohaku, showa, sanke), then by quality. The process didnít take long really; as it was evident Scott, Bill & Maureen have done this many times before. The quality ran deep in numbers of tosai. Sizes ranged from 10"-14" for these mere seven month old (April-October) tosai. It was interesting which tosai Scott designated and pulled aside for use as future potential oygaoi, used to develop the characteristics and direction Purdin koi Farm is leading. The tosai have great white, deep beni, good bodies, many with deep sumi (some with maruzome sumi) coming right out of the mud. You could see the influence from different oyagoi amongst the tosai. Scott, Bill & Maureen could tell you by name which parent stock the tosai came from and the desired characteristics passed onto the tosai. Bill knew most every single tosai by memory from pics taken when each 3" fry was put out in the mud ponds to grow out back in Spring.

Nicole & Art Lembke were also on hand Friday to participate in the festivities. Listening to Nicole & Art critique a bowled koi being considered for potential acquisition, just as they did at the recent Carolina Classic Young Koi show (www.carolinaclassickoishow.com) and the many other shows where I have worked along side of them during judging, was a good learning experience as well. What better than to hear the different points of view on a particular koi coming from the eyes of both breeders and judges at the same time!

While most all tosai were of very good quality, you could see a clear difference in the #1 bowl of GUMBO JUMBO tosai in each variety! Most of these were 13"-14" size and of the highest quality and patterns. These are the tosai most koi hobbyists probably never get the opportunity to see while visiting a Japanese breeder. We felt privileged to be present and able to participate in and observe the sembetsu! Hopefully I will never forget what I learned on this trip in koi kichi paradise!

Although I have never personally been to Japan, I have studied the ikeage pictures on the koi msg boards over the past 10 years, eagerly awaiting my daily koi fix of some of the best koi in the world provided from those hobbyists and dealers fortunate enough to be present. While experiencing the best of Japanese culture first hand remains at the top of my list of things I have yet to do in this great hobby of ours, I feel I have indeed seen koi of equal quality right here in our own Louisiana, USA.

The "River" as it is known, is under construction at PKF - an indoor concrete growout facility, similar in nature to what Momotaro has brought into vogue as a means of growing out the best of the best JUMBOs in Japan in recent years. At 125,000 gallons, eighteen 4" bottom drains and a shipping container load full of Japanese matting, this is one impressive facility. I hope to return next Fall harvest to see the River completed and in full operation!

Those going for the open house this weekend are in for a real treat!

less koi more filtration,

participate & learn,

Dan Phillips

Dan . . .

Nice post. Thanks for sharing your experience and expertise.

_____
    Don

Dan, appreciate your enthusiasm. Sorry our paths didn't cross. Instead of Art, this weekend the Koi Coach will be on hand to share along with Scott,Bill and Maureen. I have a list of Koi wanted that I'll be looking for some exceptional koi for others as well. I'll take pics and post so you and others won't have missed too much! Let's hope the bunch of us together can make it an event next year......a tradition in the making. They have beautiful Koi and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out!