Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary

Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary

I look forward to going to the harvest from the time I leave the last one. Being away from work, getting a taste of autumn weather, and total immersion in koi with no diversions. It is a wonderful combination of peaceful escape from the normal hectic pace, anticipation and excitement.

I arrived late on Friday morning, having flown from Orlando. The drive from Philadelphia becomes a pleasure after exiting I-295 into the southern New Jersey countryside of small farms, woods and open fields. I missed the first pond pull. The harvested koi had been measured, photographed and taken away to their winter greenhouse home, except for two. These were the best of the pull. First, the Showa:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary-nkf-harvest-fri-08-009.jpg   Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary-nkf-harvest-fri-08-010.jpg   Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary-nkf-harvest-fri-08-012.jpg  

She came out at 22". The beni was extraordinary. The sumi as lacquer black as one could want. The shiroji was remarkable, particularly for a koi out of the mud for only a couple of hours. The body.... well, if you like the full-bodied look, there wasn't much left to want. This is a koi that grew nearly 5 inches over the summer. She has a wonderful future ahead of her. Hopefully whoever acquires her will give her the opportunity to compete for GC in a few years.

The very best, however, was not so immediately striking. The Sanke:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary-nkf-harvest-fri-08-001.jpg   Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary-nkf-harvest-fri-08-003.jpg   Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary-nkf-harvest-fri-08-002.jpg  

Nisai
    Question

I live in south central PA so by your 1st post is there actually a koi farm in this region that does these harvest everyone talks about ?
    and how do they actually work

This young lady had grown from 17.5" when she went to the mud in late Spring to 24" at harvest. The photos do not show her well, but even in person she is one that has to be studied to begin to understand her. I do not fully understand her by any means. What stood out to my eye was the long body and head structure. She is as straight as a board, nothing but muscle and bone. She has a long way to grow, but she does not have the head width one expects in some lines. She has a long head. It is a trait that tells us she can become enormous. The next thing I noticed was the lustre. The first photo gives a hint of the golden sparks aligned throughout the flanks of this fish, but does not show it well. She has the Matsunosuke gin in the most refined expression I have seen. The sumi is lacquer. The beni is strange... more deeply toned than I would expect on so young a fish, but translucent at the same time. I do not understand what I was seeing. Nothing about this fish caused her to stand out now, except all the pieces and parts. Overall, she had a certain messiness to her, and at the same time all the parts were great.

Over the weekend, I kept going back to the 85,000 gallon pond where she will winter. I looked at her a great deal. I talked to Mat about her a little. He has a great story about when Toshio Sakai visited the farm last Winter. It's a story for Mat to tell, so I'll not repeat it here.

Mat had a simple answer to my inability to understand this koi. This is true tategoi.

I am looking forward to October 2009. Maybe I will understand her a bit more then.
    Last edited by MikeM; 10-28-2008 at 09:44 PM. Reason: typo

I was still wondering about the Sanke when everyone wandered into the old asparagus farm shipping house the farm uses for storage. It was time for lunch. Here's the Kentucky contingent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary-nkf-harvest-fri-08-013.jpg  

Then it was time for the afternoon pull; but, first, I had to take in the Autumn colors. This is not a scene we get in Orlando, so I like to savor it while I have a chance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary-nkf-harvest-fri-08-014.jpg   Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary-nkf-harvest-fri-08-015.jpg  

Then it was out to the pull.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary-nkf-harvest-fri-08-016.jpg   Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary-nkf-harvest-fri-08-017.jpg   Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary-nkf-harvest-fri-08-018.jpg   Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary-nkf-harvest-fri-08-020.jpg   Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary-nkf-harvest-fri-08-023.jpg  

Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary-nkf-harvest-fri-08-024.jpg   Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary-nkf-harvest-fri-08-025.jpg   Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary-nkf-harvest-fri-08-027.jpg  

Looking on, Joe Zuritsky, whose vision has made NKF possible. He was as intently interested in every koi that came out as anyone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary-nkf-harvest-fri-08-026.jpg  

Then it was back to the greenhouses for the koi to be placed in viewing vats and singly measured, inspected and photographed. Some lovelies in there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary-nkf-harvest-fri-08-028.jpg   Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary-nkf-harvest-fri-08-029.jpg   Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary-nkf-harvest-fri-08-030.jpg   Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary-nkf-harvest-fri-08-031.jpg   Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary-nkf-harvest-fri-08-032.jpg  

Nisei Koi Farm 2008 Harvest Diary-nkf-harvest-fri-08-034.jpg  

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast