Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: new Quality koi doitsu showa

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M. View Post
    For me this koi is NOT balanced, way to much beni on the front half and not enough on the right rear. It is a pond grade koi nothing more nothing less.

I am sure you will learn a great deal from watching this koi grow.
    I think I will. I did realize early on that the beni isn't prevelant on the back rear right side, but there it is full of this light blue hue where there is underlying sumi.

I'm okay if it doesnt fill in, but am hoping it does.

Thanks!

Ethan

See, the good thing about this fish is it is teaching me patience. As of now, I don't believe it would be worth bringing to a show. Depending on what happens as the sumi comes up and finishes after coming out of the mud will determine whether or not this fish is to be considered for showing purposes.

Showa are a different animal, thankfully. We can get a showa with little beni on one quarter of the body, even a whole rear side, and yet see the sumit that is underlying, and potentially will come up. Will it? Who knows. That's why this one wasn't $3 grand. It still was no small investment on my librarian's salary.

This one is far from finishing, and should do well in my pond once it comes here. Nancy, you are right. Right now, it is no more than a pond fish because of the large block of shiroji.

Others have commented on the sumi that it itching to come up. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but it still is not a completed project. With showa, it is usually a 3-7 year gamble depending on the lineage, water factors, and mud factors.

Jumbo
    Well first off I am not a fish expert but this fish does not look like a Showa to me. It seems to have a Kumonryu look to the black and under lying black (the blueish color). Sorry this is not what a Doitsu Showa would looks like to me. Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan25 View Post
    See, the good thing about this fish is it is teaching me patience. As of now, I don't believe it would be worth bringing to a show. Depending on what happens as the sumi comes up and finishes after coming out of the mud will determine whether or not this fish is to be considered for showing purposes.

Showa are a different animal, thankfully. We can get a showa with little beni on one quarter of the body, even a whole rear side, and yet see the sumit that is underlying, and potentially will come up. Will it? Who knows. That's why this one wasn't $3 grand. It still was no small investment on my librarian's salary.

This one is far from finishing, and should do well in my pond once it comes here. Nancy, you are right. Right now, it is no more than a pond fish because of the large block of shiroji.

Others have commented on the sumi that it itching to come up. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but it still is not a completed project. With showa, it is usually a 3-7 year gamble depending on the lineage, water factors, and mud factors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Campcheryl View Post
    Well first off I am not a fish expert but this fish does not look like a Showa to me. It seems to have a Kumonryu look to the black and under lying black (the blueish color). Sorry this is not what a Doitsu Showa would looks like to me. Keep us posted.
    Cheryl, after looking at the pictures again, I tend to agree with you regarding teh sumi, I think that blue color that we are seeing is in fact a kumonryu.

Perhaps this is a beni kumonryu gone bad?

Cheryl, after looking at the pictures again, I tend to agree with you regarding teh sumi, I think that blue color that we are seeing is in fact a kumonryu.

um, no. I don't think so.

anyhow, it was neat to see the sumi coming up and down this spring. THe head pattern looked nice from what I could see, and hopefully it will mature in the same way once I get it to my pond in a few years.

I will probably be leaving it again to get one more year of mud unless it comes out very short, which I don't see happening based on updated pictures.

It was definitely Doitsu Showa when seen last October.

Good body form. Weak pattern. If the sumi comes in on the rear right side, the pattern will be OK... so long as sumi does not overwhelm the Hi on the rear left side. Head/face pattern should be very attractive.

I don't like Doitsu much. But, when the pattern is good they take great photos.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    It was definitely Doitsu Showa when seen last October.

Good body form. Weak pattern. If the sumi comes in on the rear right side, the pattern will be OK... so long as sumi does not overwhelm the Hi on the rear left side. Head/face pattern should be very attractive.

I don't like Doitsu much. But, when the pattern is good they take great photos.

Thanks, Mike. I thought I remember that you were there last fall. I would really like to go this fall, but don;t think I will be able to.

Next year I plan on getting in the 555 event.

You are right about the pattern. It is weak now, can be better later, but that's only if that beni comes in.

The one thing I have a tough time with is telling quality vs non quality beni on doitsu gosanke.

Daihonmei
    Cheryl,
    that was an interesting observation and it took me a minute or two of looking at the other pics to decide it was not a beni kumonryu...the black isn't lateral as much as it is just on top of the body... that makes me wonder because the black should wrap around the body...and I think it is going to from the look of the blue sumi on the back half of the fish.
    I still like that you were thinking outside the box

Couldn't stop yourself from the second sentence could you Nancy ?

Glad to see Mike speaking up as I believe he was there when the Koi was purchased . I believe remembering Ross at NKF saying it was a D. Showa (I could be wrong) and Mat stated the same thing .

It's a cross your fingers and wait Koi and not bad at all for the money spent for it .

Quote Originally Posted by HEADACHE6 View Post
    Couldn't stop yourself from the second sentence could you Nancy ?

Glad to see Mike speaking up as I believe he was there when the Koi was purchased . I believe remembering Ross at NKF saying it was a D. Showa (I could be wrong) and Mat stated the same thing .

It's a cross your fingers and wait Koi and not bad at all for the money spent for it .
    Troy

I take it you picked this fish out for Ethan?

Now are you 100% sure Matt said it was D. showa? Seems to me I remember this fish from a few years ago, as I was asked my opinion on it.

Or perhps it is a Doitsu Gin Rin Kigoi.....

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast