Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pics of Dropsy - Not Pretty

Pics of Dropsy - Not Pretty

As ya'll know, I've been working very long hours so I haven't been checking on my fish twice a day like usual. Yesterday, my Brady 4 year old male Shiro was pineconning badly. I tested the water and all parameters were just where they should be. I clean my filter and do about 1000 gallon water change weekly, without fail. I don't know what happened to him but I don't think I can save him. He's the only male I kept because I've enjoyed watching him mature. He was 5" when I got him and is now 25".

I have calls in to 5 Vets. The Vet I "used" to go to, my main Vet, wouldn't give me any meds until he has time to come out and inspect my "facility". He knows NOTHING about fish. My Vet from 20 something years ago is going to check to see if he can write me a script for it and if so, he'll do it tomorrow. This is how he always gave me meds for the 4 legged animals. My son's current Vet says he can't give me any and the one that gave me Baytril years ago hasn't bothered to call back.

I finally gave up on getting meds today and knocked him out and slit under all the scales to release the poison. A few of them immediately oozed puss, some had a clear yellow liquid run out but most had nothing. After slitting under all the scales on one side, I pressed and ran my hand down his body from his head to his tail. A lot of clear yellow fluid came out doing this, more on the right side than the left.

It took me about 20 minutes of pushing him through the water to wake him up but he's cruising around the surface of the pond now. Before, he was isolating under the falls and hugging the wall midlevel. He looks awful. I feel so sorry for him because he must really be hurting after being cut so many times.

My sister has some Baytril so I'll have it tonight and can start injections in the morning. I'd much rather Amikacin for this but I can't get it from anyone locally.

Oh, I salted him yesterday from 0 to .3%. I was supposed to raise him to .6% today but had a mishap with the QT. I set it up at 7:00 this morning, heater, seeded filter, .6% salt & Elbagin. Everything was fine. When I brought the fish over to the QT about 2:00 p.m., it was bone dry. I had to put him back in the pond. One of the BD had come loose so I'll reglue it in the morning, inject him and move him back to the QT.

This is the first sick fish I've had in over 5 years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pics of  Dropsy - Not Pretty-dropsy-shiro.jpg   Pics of  Dropsy - Not Pretty-dropsy-shiro-anest.jpg   Pics of  Dropsy - Not Pretty-dropsy-shiro-after-slitting-under-scales.jpg  

This is what he looked like before the Dropsy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pics of  Dropsy - Not Pretty-shiro-showa.jpg  

Sandy,

I'm sorry you're having trouble. If you don't get the baytril, e-mail me. One of my best friends is a vet, so meds are come by easily and I can overnight you a bottle of baytril. In fact, I've got a brand new one in the fridge.

Best luck with your shiro, that really sucks...

Grant

Last edited by jnorth; 11-04-2008 at 08:07 AM.

Thanks, Grant. I may take you up on that if I can't get any tomorrow.

Ouch that sucks Sandy . Hope things work out for your shiro.

Grant I removed your email address so you wouldn't have random people emailing you for Baytril.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Quote Originally Posted by jnorth View Post
    Ouch that sucks Sandy . Hope things work out for your shiro.

Grant I removed your email address so you wouldn't have random people emailing you for Baytril.

Ahh, probably a good idea! Thanks Jim.

Grant

Sandy-

Baytril is a better choice for dropsy than Amikacin. Best if luck.

Mike Pfeffer

Ok, thanks Mike.

I have enough for 1 injection. I'll call my sister and get 4 more.

He's up cruising the pond this morning like nothing's wrong. His scales are very slightly raised but nothing like yesterday. If someone didn't know what they should look like, they wouldn't notice.

I fixed the QT this morning and I'm waiting for the silicone to set up around one of the BDs. I'll move him into this afternoon.

Well done, Sandy. Good job popping & draining the fluid sacs.

Now for the hard part: What caused those symptoms to manifest? Got any ideas???

Best wishes,

Honmei
    A few comments may be in order.

First of all, Sandy has had numerous delays in treating this koi. That is not a very good thing. At the first signs of a systemic infection, ALL of the following should be done immediately:

Knock the koi out.
    Slit all fluid sacs under the scales. Strip the fluids by placing your hand over the backbone just behind the head and firmly running the hand back down the koi (fingers on one side and thunk on the other).
    Start the koi on antibiotic injections.
    Place into hospital tank with and increased salinity from prior environement (by .3%...not to exceed .6%).
    Elbagin at 10 grams per ton (264 US Gallons).
    Water temperature is preferred in the 70 to 708F range.
    Reslitting fluid sacs may be necessay in 3 to 5 days if pineconing reappears.

Now, by slitting the sacs and placing the koi back into the original environment, the koi is still further exposed to a higher CFU count of bacteria than they would have been utilizing the aforementioned protocol (hospital tank with salt and elbagin).

Mixing and matching protocols is never a wise thing since the protocol itself is reliant on each step within.

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast