Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Own Harvest

How big is the pond these fish are in?

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by gcuss View Post
    A bunch of really nice healthy fish with bright whites! You must have some decent water

I really like how a lot of your beni appears to have richened over the year. Not a photo thing? Two fish that I personally really like are the ochiba and the first Matsue kohaku.

Thanks for sharing!

Grant
    Thanks for the comment, Grant. It seems that I am pretty fortunate to have good water source, which has proved to be quite beny-enhancing. But on the other hand, its effect on the sumi is quite diversified. Some seem to have enhanced the sumi whereas the sumi on some others seems to sink. I guess only time will tell.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    So many to think about! What I notice overall is that the growth has been moderate and at the same time the bodies are filling out. I tend to think of this as indicating that they are fed well, and have not gained more length due to other factors. Some of the more common length-retarding factors are cooler water temperatures, short growing season, or high hormone levels in the pond due to crowding or insufficient water changes. I think all have improved under your care, except the locally-bred Sanke is showing ragged edges on the Hi indicating it may be starting to break up.

The Ochiba is interesting because some of the color on the head has faded away and in other areas it has consolidated. The red-brown color has intensified. This is similar to what Hi does on young Kohaku. I hope the pattern we now see holds. She is quite attractive and makes a nice contrast with your gosanke.

You have assembled quite a collection of gosanke in only one year. And, quite a range of breeders! Observing how they develop differently will provide pleasure for years to come. The pattern diversity is pleasing. Some classic, some like abstract art. It is difficult to evaluate beni quality through photos. The locally bred Kohaku seem to be better quality than I would expect. They will be particularly interesting to observe growing up.

The Isa Showa is an example of the challenge of Showa. How old is she? The body line looks very good. The Sumi is not fully developed (will it fully develop?), and the Hi seems to have passed its prime. Having the black and red mature on different schedules results in the full potential never being reached, but the continuing sumi development is as if she is making a promise to continue doing her best to please. When you have such a koi in a pond, especially one so much more sizable, it adds a dimension to the collection. She is surrounded by her more beautiful granddaughters.
    Hi Mike, I have been following your post of the mud pond pull lately and I have found it so interesting to read and very informative as well!
    With regard to the moderate growth of my koi. I guess the main reason is probably the food I give them. I feed only embryo food all year around. Somehow I have a negative feeling towards body enhancing, growth enhancing and colour enhancing food amd I don't have the desire to see agressive growth rate. By the way, this year I change water more frequently, about 10% daily.
    The showa was born in 2002 and 7 years of age. It is so young. strong and healthy. The untidy beni on the should used to be covered by sumi, which sunkened after it arrived from Japan in may 07. The body structure is really good. I have a big hope for her.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    How big is the pond these fish are in?

They are kept in two ponds, one is 45tons including filtation and the other is 25tons.

Yi: Your extra work shows. Next time you take photos, try to get a close-up photo of the beni of the Showa. In regard to feeding, next summer you might consider using a higher protein pellet (growth formula, not color food) in one pond and see what difference it makes.

I'm glad you enjoyed the posts on the Nisei Koi Farm harvest. Could you to post photos of your local breeder's farm some time? I would really like to learn more about koi breeding in China. I read articles in the English version of Rinko magazine, but they are written from a Japanese perspective.... and their English is not nearly as good as yours.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Yi: Your extra work shows. Next time you take photos, try to get a close-up photo of the beni of the Showa. In regard to feeding, next summer you might consider using a higher protein pellet (growth formula, not color food) in one pond and see what difference it makes.

I'm glad you enjoyed the posts on the Nisei Koi Farm harvest. Could you to post photos of your local breeder's farm some time? I would really like to learn more about koi breeding in China. I read articles in the English version of Rinko magazine, but they are written from a Japanese perspective.... and their English is not nearly as good as yours.
    I will look at high protein food next summer
    I will post more about the local fish farm later on.

Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12