Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Own Harvest

Nisai

My Own Harvest

A few days ago, I pulled up all my babies and did a measure up and health check. I am attaching a few photos here showing the growth of them.
    Pls kindly comment. Thanks!

Nisai
    A momotaro sanke acquired on Nov 07
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Own Harvest-05.jpg   My Own Harvest-081028.jpg  

Nisai
    A momotaro Kohaku also acquired in Nov 07
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Own Harvest-07.jpg   My Own Harvest-081028.jpg  

Nisai
    This one is from a local breeder I acquired in Jul this year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Own Harvest-8.jpg   My Own Harvest-.jpg  

Nisai
    These three were all acquired in Nov last year and I remember I posted them around that time for your opinion. They were all from a local Chinese breeder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Own Harvest-.jpg   My Own Harvest-081028.jpg   My Own Harvest-.jpg   My Own Harvest-081028.jpg   My Own Harvest-.jpg  

My Own Harvest-081028.jpg  

Nisai
    These four sanke were acquired during my visit to Niigata this Apr.
    Pls refer to my thread as following:
    http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/genera...-pick-pls.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Own Harvest-01.jpg   My Own Harvest-081028.jpg   My Own Harvest-03.jpg   My Own Harvest-081028.jpg   My Own Harvest-wushilan.jpg  

My Own Harvest-081028.jpg   My Own Harvest-.jpg   My Own Harvest-081028.jpg  

Nisai
    This is an Isa Showa and the only Showa I have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Own Harvest-07.jpg   My Own Harvest-081028.jpg  

Nisai
    Two Matsue Kohaku I acquired this Aug.
    Pls refer to my earlier thread:
    http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/genera...haku-keep.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Own Harvest-1.jpg   My Own Harvest-.jpg   My Own Harvest-2.jpg   My Own Harvest-081028.jpg  

A bunch of really nice healthy fish with bright whites! You must have some decent water

I really like how a lot of your beni appears to have richened over the year. Not a photo thing? Two fish that I personally really like are the ochiba and the first Matsue kohaku.

Thanks for sharing!

Grant

So many to think about! What I notice overall is that the growth has been moderate and at the same time the bodies are filling out. I tend to think of this as indicating that they are fed well, and have not gained more length due to other factors. Some of the more common length-retarding factors are cooler water temperatures, short growing season, or high hormone levels in the pond due to crowding or insufficient water changes. I think all have improved under your care, except the locally-bred Sanke is showing ragged edges on the Hi indicating it may be starting to break up.

The Ochiba is interesting because some of the color on the head has faded away and in other areas it has consolidated. The red-brown color has intensified. This is similar to what Hi does on young Kohaku. I hope the pattern we now see holds. She is quite attractive and makes a nice contrast with your gosanke.

You have assembled quite a collection of gosanke in only one year. And, quite a range of breeders! Observing how they develop differently will provide pleasure for years to come. The pattern diversity is pleasing. Some classic, some like abstract art. It is difficult to evaluate beni quality through photos. The locally bred Kohaku seem to be better quality than I would expect. They will be particularly interesting to observe growing up.

The Isa Showa is an example of the challenge of Showa. How old is she? The body line looks very good. The Sumi is not fully developed (will it fully develop?), and the Hi seems to have passed its prime. Having the black and red mature on different schedules results in the full potential never being reached, but the continuing sumi development is as if she is making a promise to continue doing her best to please. When you have such a koi in a pond, especially one so much more sizable, it adds a dimension to the collection. She is surrounded by her more beautiful granddaughters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast