Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: sick Koi. Please help urgently

You mentioned in one of your earlier posts that you had gotten some meds and supplies from Mystic, but their mention kind of got lost in the other info. Bill and Sean are advertisers here and they are reputable people. Since they are already a familiar face you have confidence in (with good reason) it would be good to get their advice on your pond and filtration. I (and quite a few others here) have Koi from them swimming happily in our own ponds

David,

Please read Terri’s instructions carefully and follow them. It is very important to use the salt for all the reasons she just listed. The fish don’t stand much of a chance without it. They have too many conditions going on that the salt will help.

I know it’s hard to not do what you feel would help immediately, but sometimes things have to be done in a certain order to get them stronger before hitting them with the “big guns”. The salt will help get their bodies and immune systems working so they can start healing.

Did you try the salt dip again?

Hello David . . .

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

This compendium on salt that I put together might be of some interest to you:

Salt . . .

You don't need to read the entire thread -- just the first part.

Best wishes,

OK, salt it is. For a pond of my size, how much do you think I should start? How about a 40# blue bag from Home Depot? I would wait until the rain is over (unless you feel the urgency), I would vaccuum the bottom then put the salt in. The Shop-Vac is here already.

"You mentioned in one of your earlier posts that you had gotten some meds and supplies from Mystic"
    No, I plan on buying from them this Thursday. I bought the previous meds from a different dealer.

Jumbo
    Salt is most safe, although it takes a little longer especially in a colder temperature.
    you need at least 0.5%+ of salt (0.6% or 0.7% of salt is commonly used ) against total gallons of the pond and filter.

To achieve .3% salt add 2.5 lbs. per 100 gallons
    To achieve .6% salt add 5 lbs. per 100 gallons

Start off by raising the level to .3% and wait to see if Terri wants you to raise it higher.

Jumbo
    also, you have to stop feeding !

Sorry for the delay- I have so much to do for tomorrow. David-We need your eyes again. My concern is if you vacuum, stir up the water and disturb any anaerobic pockets and then add salt and they die, it will look like the salt caused their deaths.
    Can you estimate- How much debris or how deep is the debris or depth in inches of rocks? I’d like to see you start at .3% which is easier on the filter and then increase .1% a day until you hit .6%. You will need a salt test kit or salt meter to do this because Salt comes in different forms and for you we don’t know the gallons, so we need a test kit. I would say starting with 30lbs is more than safe. If your close and you have 3,000 gals, that should bring us close to .2%. I’d feel better using a test kit after that. Let me know those answers and we'll go from there.
    Here's a cool formula to find your water volume by using salt.
    1. Measure existing salt. Ex- .08%
    2. I think my pond holds 3,000 gals so I will add 1 lb. of salt per 100 gals. Ex- 30lbs of salt Wait one hour.
    3. Do another salt test. Write this down Ex-.18% salt
    4. Subtract the first salt reading from the second. Ex- .18% - .08%= .10%
    5. Multiply the number of pounds of salt you put in times 12 Ex-30 X 12= 360
    6. Divide the total from step 5 with the figure from step 4. This will give you the total gallons of water. Ex-360 divided by .10%=3,600 gals. of water.

Super Kindai-Curious why you feel you need to stop feeding?
    Terri
    Terri Janas
    Master Koi Health Advisor
    Member of
    ZNA Potomac
    MAKC

the dirt layer is not too bad but I do see the waste and some soil spilled off from the water plants. I just wanted to suck out those spores from Ich if they are still laying at the bottom of the pond. It is here and there, no real layer yet.

Ok sounds good, go ahead and vacuum.
    Tell you what, lets get the salt up to .3% first and see how they respond. If the ones on bottom start to move around, then maybe we can keep it at .3%. Terri

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast