Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: sick Koi. Please help urgently

Quote Originally Posted by obman View Post
    I think is is handling. The Koi was still OK this AM when I left for one hour to get the salt. I think my MIL saw the sick Koi and put it in the small bucket. She probably think it is just like any other gold fish. The Koi certainly die in that environment from haddling, stress, no air. I didn't pay much attention to the mouth but I think it was closed. Picture attached. He is burried at this point. The QT tank is 35 Gal. The Koi was in a small bucket, not in the QT tank when I got home

A wild estimate is 40 Kois left, ranging in size from 2 inches (3-4), mostly 6-8 inches, a few very large ones 12-20 inches (4-5)
    Am I being sucker punched here? This is a difficult decision for me, but In light of this most recent post, I have to back out. I wrote a post and deleted it because I am too frustrated to continue. I have taken this very seriously and taken time from my family to help. You nor your family have in my eyes. David, if your taken aback, reread this entire thread two –three times again, then possibly you’ll understand. Maybe the others here will help you. I wish you and your fish the best, I really do. Terri

Quote Originally Posted by koiluv View Post
    Am I being sucker punched here? This is a difficult decision for me, but In light of this most recent post, I have to back out. I wrote a post and deleted it because I am too frustrated to continue. I have taken this very seriously and taken time from my family to help. You nor your family have in my eyes. David, if your taken aback, reread this entire thread two –three times again, then possibly you’ll understand. Maybe the others here will help you. I wish you and your fish the best, I really do. Terri
    I understand. I was as frustrated as you are. Your help was invaluable and I appreciate it. Please don't take it in any other way than that. Through this whole process, I have learned tremendously through you and others who have contributed here. Just a few months ago, I knew nothing about Koi but then I have learned to appreciate it. It is my new hobby. There is a steep learning curve that I have to go through and it is people like you that make the process much easier. I was so depressed when that Koi died this AM but I don't know that or this news from Terri is worse for me. Oh well, may you all have a good Holidays season.

Nisai
    This fish got to this stage in 2 days
    with all these troubles did you buy more fish thursday when you were shopping for meds?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    with all these troubles did you buy more fish thursday when you were shopping for meds?
    No, I am trying to reduce the number in my pond as I way-overstocked from the beginning. That, I learned immediately once the problem occured. The dealer I know saved a few nice ones in case I need them in the future. I want to give some of them away but they are sick now so I don't want to contaminate people's pond. The next step is to release some into the river somewhere when they are OK.

I got additional filtering equipment and water testing equipment today. It may take 2 days for me to institute all the pond modification to help the Kois out. I may get a "real" QT tank if I can find one tomorrow and it fits the space.

Nisai
    was wondering cause you posted that pic saying it got to that stage in 2 days and the post has been going for over a week

That particular Koi got that just past few days. I noticed it has a small fuzzy thing on the side 2 days ago and then now it blows up like that. Many others appear unaffected through the whole process though. I had too many fish in there which I thought had died off way before until I removed rocks and seeing them.

619 Guy. Member of the Koi Club of San Diego

A VERY bad idea....

I want to give some of them away but they are sick now so I don't want to contaminate people's pond. The next step is to release some into the river somewhere when they are OK.

Introducing a non-native species into an environment comes to mind....

Bad PR for the koi hobby; don't do it please

Isolate the infected koi

Drain and clean that pond.

retro-fit better circulation and filtering into your set-up.

Contact and join your local koi club.

Thank you for the advise. I am thinking the same. I was puzzled at the infection rate and kept investigating. I found out that all 3 bottom drains were in series with 1 being the furthest from the pump, 2 in the middle of that long tube, then 3 being the closest to the pump which pumps to the waterfall. Then I dropped color to the water which goes to the bottom without being sucked to drains 1 and 2. That explains a lot of things. The water does not drain from the main areas of the pond thus create major stagnation, adding to the issues. Well, I am pulling my hair out trying to find a holding place for the Kois while I retrofit the pond, may be with a Nexus which I should have done in the first place.

It is against the law to release koi into waterways.

You can set up a large swimming pool as a QT.

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    It is against the law to release koi into waterways.

You can set up a large swimming pool as a QT.
    I don't have a large swimming pool but I will work something out. OK, so I won't release the fish. The discovery of the drains not working gave me a lot of hope. I couldn't sleep last night thinking about it. The pond was originally made of liner. The landscaper put 2 truck load of stone in as everyone knew nothing about Koi and thought that they needed caves to hide like most fishes do to avoid the birds, direct sun light,... There was too much rocks that it punctured the liner. He made it reinforced concrete which is 10-12 inches. There is no way I can redo the tubing. I am thinking of blocking drain #3 (the drain closest to the pump) may be 75%, drain #2 may be 50% then test all three drains. Blocking some of the closest drains will hopefully force the pump to pull from further drains. I can adjust the blockage until I get some drainage from the 2 furthest drain.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast