Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: sick Koi. Please help urgently

What major cities/areas are you close to? I just checked and there are at least 25 KHAís in CA. Iím sure one would be close enough to come out and help. Iíll email them for you when I find out which ones youíre closest to.

Congrats on having a scope. Thatís impressive for someone new to the hobby.

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    yep, this fish's immune system is shot probably due to one of two things- chronic parasitic infestation and or water quality issues. At this point, bacterial infections ( all the lower fins and flanks of the koi- mostly flexibacter but aeromonas has to be soon to follow) and maybe infestations of secondary fungal species ( only an opportunistic species).

I'm not one to recommend hospital tanks but this fish needs intensive therapy. You need EXCELLENT warm well aerated water ( 76F). This will not increase too rapidly the infestations that warmer water will. You then need to treat this fish thru a series of treatments followed by water changes of EXCELLENT water ( preconditioned for pH/chlorine/metals/lack of oxygen etc) add lots of aeration to the quarantine. Keep the Q-tank spotless. Keep the fish relaxed in low light conditions. I'd give this fish a 50/50 chance for survival as long as you don't do anything to stress the fish more.
    Do some reading on flexibacter treatments for doses and meds. Use only MILD salt. High salt levels will kill this fish. There is going to be a bit of 'art' involved in weaning this fish back from the edge. For this reason, you need the hands on help of an advanced club member or a trusted dealer. This hands on help will increase the chances for survival over any internet advice that I or anyone else can give you. Eyes on the ground are what you need. - JR
    How do I locate a "KHA" in my area? Please show me the direction. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    What major cities/areas are you close to? I just checked and there are at least 25 KHAís in CA. Iím sure one would be close enough to come out and help. Iíll email them for you when I find out which ones youíre closest to.

Thank you. What can I say, I LOVE KOIS. I have to learn a lot about fish selection though.
    I live in Santa Clarita/Valencia which is part of Los Angeles county. I live next to Six Flags Magic Mountain.

Welcome to Bito, and sorry you are having health issues.

I agree with what Steve is saying, your pond is lovely, but it does not appear to be a healthy enviroment for koi.

You have treated the pond with salt, proformC, fizz tabs so far.. This is all shot gun approach treatments, and could cause more harm than good.

If you can not depend on your local koi dealer to help you, and do not know of a koi club or KHA I would consider contacting Dr. Robert Hildreth he is a koi Vet 714-392-5116 or email [email protected] He does house calls.

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post

I think the closest to him would be Alan Stein or Carl Grooms, that I know of.

Daihonmei
    Nancy if you can get him in touch with Alan S or Don K I'm sure they can fix him up?

The pond does look crowded and the foam on the water surface is a dead give away that the organic load in the water is high, which really favors all that is living on that koi. Still the underlying generator of slime coat damage is most often mucous coat generation- exhaustion. It can be from water Q or parasites, so eliminate the question of parasite presence first with a simple slime coat biopsy and microscopic exam. Meanwhile clean up the environment. But as I said, that one fish needs intensive care or it will not live. - JR

Nancy if you can get him in touch with Alan S or Don K I'm sure they can fix him up?

The pond does look crowded and the foam on the water surface is a dead give away that the organic load in the water is high, which really favors all that is living on that koi. Still the underlying generator of slime coat damage is most often mucous coat generation- exhaustion. It can be from water Q or parasites, so eliminate the question of parasite presence first with a simple slime coat biopsy and microscopic exam. Meanwhile clean up the environment. But as I said, that one fish needs intensive care or it will not live. - JR

Please try contacting both of these gentlemen they are both advanced hobbiest, and very knowledgable.

Alan email is [email protected]
    Don email is [email protected]

Daihonmei
    and I think their phone numbers are on the ZNA America website

znaamerica.com

- or-

znaamerica.org

If you can't get in touch with either of these men, let me know and I'll find a KHA for you.

That fish is only one of a few sick Kois I have at hand. The rest of the fishes are OK (in terms of no visible lesions) although they are not feeding and are hiding. I am having a hard time catching the infected fishes from the pond. Let me clarify things a bit: the Fizz tab was used in the treatment tank and I have not put in the pond. Sorry for being not clear, I have not slept much lately. I am very tempted to treat the pond with the Fizz tabs as the fish I put in the treatment tank survived the night. I am also on the verge of taking all the fishes out and empty the pond, start over again with the bio filter and all.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast