Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sucks to be me today...

Sucks to be me today...

Well, the morning started out well enough. I got a decent nights sleep, woke up feeling rested and started my coffee. Drank a few cups, checked the mail, posted a few comments of the forum while waiting for my DW to awake. We sat and chatted about the day over her first cup o' the mornin' until she got up to get dressed for work.

And then we heard a "POP". I thought she may have dropped something in the B.R. She hollered "What was that?" Not knowing I went to the back door to take a look outside to be greeted by the vision of black smoke billowing from the eves of my workshop right next door...

Hollering "Oh SH!T" as I pulled my boots on to run out for a hose with a son on my heels I began to hose down the front of the building (all I could approach) and she called the Fire Dept while her son and I sprayed water in vain while cursing vile things under my breath.

The building is a 90% loss, all the tools (about $20K) are toast, and I am for the time being out of the cabinetry business...

Is Seriously SUCKS to be me today.

Nobody injured (except for a few blisters on my forehead), house untouched, and no damage beyond the building. The reason for sharing this here has simply to do with our fish.

The big guys are all fine as they were distant from the building and all the heat and ash. The fry tank on the other hand was at the front of the shop and needless to say, ash, blistered paint, radiant heat, etc... warmed their autumn cool (50 deg) water to a comfortably warm 80ish. I scooped out all the paint flecks and stuff I could and flushed a bunch of fresh water though to minimize the shock, but they've been on a roller coaster ride to say the least. I'm moving them tomorrow to a tank I already have running elsewhere (after their water has stabilized to a more modest temperature), but since I'm not exactly thinking as clearly as I normally would be any further suggestions to improve their survivability would be appreciated.

It might suck to be me, but it doesn't have to suck to be my fry...
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Oh gosh that does suck...glad no one was hurt though....
    Lawanna

Jumbo
    Larry I am so very sorry about your workshop. I am very glad that you and your family are safe and unharmed. I think you are doing the main thing with the fry by keeping the water changes and watching them closely. Again, I am so very sorry.

so sorry Larry! It does suck to be you today for sure!

let me know if there's anything I can do...

Ethan

Larry, sorry about the shop. I hope you had insurance.

Get some salt in the tank to .3% to help them with stress and plenty of O2. Other than that, they should be fine.

Did you look at their gills? (If they're big enough)

Jumbo
    Very sorry to hear this. I hope you can recover from it OK.

Shop insurance is plenty fine, but the commercial tools inside, not so much... Depreciation on them is gonna kick my a$$ big time.

I ran an extension cord from the house to get the filtration running as soon as I could, so it was only offline for a few hours, and never was dry. They appear fine and active, but as quickly as the water warmed up "normal" is pretty hard to define activity wise. None appear to have any outward signs of stress (fading beni, pinking shiroji, etc...) and the gills look good so far. I'm just gonna have to cross my fingers for them to make it through the night.

One thing is certain. If they can survive this kind of a stressful day without going completely to pot they are definitely some hardy little buggers. Personally, I'm sippin' bourbon and trying to wind back down.
    (Didn't give them any...)

Meg
    Larry! what a day!
    all you can do in these times is be glad it wasn't worse.....and have another sip.

Larry,

Your KO and so is the misses and the strapping young lad that assisted you.............
    so it really vacuumed to be your shed and tools today.........

So did you figure out what happened???

They'll be ok with the temp change. Just throw some salt in, keep the water good and watch them. Don't do any meds.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast