Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shiro Utsuri: Worth Patience or Waste of Space?

Daihonmei
    Why are you fixated on pattern and color?
    the red book saids that your koi sucks as pattern is no longer how it will be judged, and it obviously has a big gut and a little tail

My top five choices would be, in order of 1st choice to last, 2> 3 > 16 > 7 > 17. I went with #2 as my first choice because, while she may not have the best shiroji, she has the ichimatsu pattern that I feel is important in SUs. She is around 7 o'clock in the tub photo that you posted. Motoguro extends all the way out to pec ray edge but has a chance to receed because motoguro not too dark and leading rays are white.....just my opinion!

I can see why you would choose #3 as your top choice. Good body line, shiroji and sumi quality, nice motoguro, and a female to boot! My only concern is whether sumi will develop on the head. I do see hints of underlying sumi on the nose and head that, if and when it shows, will show nice menware and complete this SU. In looking at the development photos in posts #4 and #6 I can't see the underlying head sumi.

Mike, I have a few questions for you:

1. Do you physically see any hint of underlying sumi on her head? In my opinion, this would be my decision on whether to keep or pass. Again, she has very nice quality and her growth is on track (24.5" at sansai - born in spring 2006). But, for me, a nice SU has to have balance and a completely white head detracts from her other excellent qualities.

2. What is your water parameter? From looking at the development photos of your SU, my guess would be very soft water (TDS < 140??? pH in the lower range???). Reason for this question is because I want to know why the sumi got lighter. This is usually due to water quality and/or rapid growth (which could be applicable in your case).

Thank you for sharing Mike. Please keep all of us updated on your decision and her development.

Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    Why are you fixated on pattern and color?
    the red book saids that your koi sucks as pattern is no longer how it will be judged, and it obviously has a big gut and a little tail
    Got a bug up you derriere again Luke???

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Got a bug up you derriere again Luke???
    am I wrong.

Lam: There is a vague shadow of sumi coming down from the shoulder onto the face which was better seen when she was tosai. The sumi on the nose which Jim noted is not noticeable any more. Maybe in the future?? My pH is fairly stable, running from 8.0 to 8.2 year-round per my test kit. (A month or so ago a visitor used a meter and measured the pH at 8.3. A few hours later I tested it at 8.2 per my kit.) The hardness ranges from 160ppm to 180ppm depending on the season, and is mostly around 165ppm. So, it's not soft!)

Luke: I don't think I'm fixated on pattern and pigment. I find the pattern acceptable, but not exciting. Whether the sumi will finish is an issue, I think. A sansai with such subdued sumi is a new experience for me. Conformation is always first. As nisai there was a 'tummy issue', but not a thin tail. The tail portion is strong. In a couple of the photos the water refraction makes the tail look very thin, but this is a distortion. She is not a ball with a tail. However, I think there is an issue to be watched. Shiros are notorious for turning out poor bodies. You have a good eye to catch the issue. I don't think the photos show the concern very well, and they are the best of her.

Daihonmei
    MikeM
    EVERY one of the pics is distorted in the same area of #3's body?
    I believe this is a shiro Mickey bought several (and I mean like 7) years ago...
    Scares ya doesn't it...I still have it and it looks exactly the same...but a little bigger

Tosai
    I would have chosen number 2....... for all the reasons as Lam stated - this is MY typical SU.

I do not see any underlying sumi on the head (menware)- and without this I would not keep the fish. Having said that I read somewhere that Omosako Shiros develop after the age of 4............ and that they become very large! So it would be worth it to keep the fish for another 2 years and see what becomes of it....

Also, who sexed the fish for you and how? I have an Omosako Shiro which looks like a girl........... in terms of Body Shape, Rounded Pec Fins etc...... but HE is actually a Male.......... he is only 2 (Nisai) and he is going to be massive................. he has lots of developing to do and his sumi is similar to yours, which I read will develop and finish.......

Nice fishy! Pity about the lack of underlying sumi on the head!

Tosai
    Actually I stand corrected - if you look very carefully there is a feint hint of underlying sumi on the head.....

Daihonmei
    AND
    was there a discussion about how the selctions didn't have much variation in sumi...it all looks pretty dark and heavy.

619 Guy. Member of the Koi Club of San Diego

As if my opinion matters

#3 would of been my second choice.

Mine goes #2 , 3, 16, & 7

Pattern, balance, and "perceived" potential.

Though #16 concerns me with the narrow head.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast