Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shiro Utsuri: Worth Patience or Waste of Space?

I really appreciate everyone's comments. I have not made up my mind. In a couple of months I will have to decide on one fish to move on to make room for one arriving. This one is on the list of 3 possibles.

Those of you who had #2 on your list of picks, well, there is a story to her. The person who selected her rejected her when seen in person. If you look closely, you will see a blush of red close to the caudal fin. When I saw #3 in person, I was concerned that it might well be male. Since #2 seemed fairly clearly to be female, I purchased her, hoping the blush of red would fade. It did not fade. The red deepened and expanded. As nisai, additional areas of reddish blush appeared. She went to a new home last December... a very good new home with a sizable pond and a relatively low population. I am told that she is much appreciated for her friendliness, despite the still increasing areas of blush color. For every koi, there is a home where their best points will be appreciated. I no longer have photos of her. If it had not been for the ruinous red, I would have kept her another year.

Daihonmei
    MikeM
    you are a lucky koikeeper...the sanke and the shiro can go...you have room for TWO more koi not one

But, there are more than two being boarded in New Jersey, Luke. It's a good thing I do not have your 50,000 gallons. My love of raising tosai would truly do me in.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    But, there are more than two being boarded in New Jersey, Luke. It's a good thing I do not have your 50,000 gallons. My love of raising tosai would truly do me in.
    In that regard we are equals

Meg
    Mike do you have up dates on any of the others you are able to share with us?

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Mike do you have up dates on any of the others you are able to share with us?
    No, I don't. This was done just as a group purchase. I know there are SKA members who frequent this board, although seldom posting. Perhaps some will accept the invite to post progress shots. (Shirley??? )

Jumbo
    Mike don't be so quick to dispose of that SU just yet!! Shiros are like Sanke and Showas!!! PATIENCE!! I had one for 6 years before it actually started to come around!!! I tried to talk DH into rehoming her for several years, but he insisted upon hanging on and hoping. He was right....I was wrong!!! Unfortunately we lost her this past spring during our "mishap". The white on your SU is stunning!!! From what I can tell from the photos her body seems good as well. I'd give her another year to mature and see how it goes!!!

Sue
    2010 Upper Midwest Koi Club Show
    AKCA 4th Annual Open Show
    July 31st, Aug 1st & 2nd, Minneapolis, MN
    http://www.umkoiclub.org/

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntiesue View Post
    Mike don't be so quick to dispose of that SU just yet!! Shiros are like Sanke and Showas!!! PATIENCE!! I had one for 6 years before it actually started to come around!!! I tried to talk DH into rehoming her for several years, but he insisted upon hanging on and hoping. He was right....I was wrong!!! Unfortunately we lost her this past spring during our "mishap". The white on your SU is stunning!!! From what I can tell from the photos her body seems good as well. I'd give her another year to mature and see how it goes!!!

Sue
    MikeM,
    remember sue wears glasses...evidently not all the time

For those of you who don't know Auntie Sue Emerick (and her hubby), they have probably had more success with top quality show SU's than any other US hobbyists during the last 5 years.

Glasses be damned.

619 Guy. Member of the Koi Club of San Diego

There he goes again...

Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    MikeM,
    remember sue wears glasses...evidently not all the time

Always stirring the pot.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast