Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shiro Utsuri: Worth Patience or Waste of Space?

Shiro Utsuri: Worth Patience or Waste of Space?

In early 2007 the ZNA Southern Koi Association arranged a group buy of Shiro Utsuri tosai bred by Torazo out of Omosako oyagoi. Here are the ones we had to choose from...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shiro Utsuri: Worth Patience or Waste of Space?-znaska_shiro_tosai.jpg   Shiro Utsuri: Worth Patience or Waste of Space?-znaska_shiro1.jpg  

The above photos were put together by HenryC for the event. It turned out that every participant got their first choice. Pick one before you proceed through this thread. I'd be interested if anyone selects the same one I chose.

I selected number 3, which is at 2pm in the tub shot above. I liked the look of the body. Sumi was relatively evenly distributed and not too heavy. The Shiro appeared good, but it did on several others as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shiro Utsuri: Worth Patience or Waste of Space?-znaska_shiro_tosai_edited.jpg  

In December 2007 the sex was confirmed as female. She had grown from approx. 10 inches to 18 inches. There was not much change in overall appearance otherwise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shiro Utsuri: Worth Patience or Waste of Space?-december-07-torazo-shiro-050.jpg   Shiro Utsuri: Worth Patience or Waste of Space?-december-07-torazoshiro-044.jpg   Shiro Utsuri: Worth Patience or Waste of Space?-december-07-torazoshiro-049.jpg   Shiro Utsuri: Worth Patience or Waste of Space?-december-07-torazo-shiro-042.jpg   Shiro Utsuri: Worth Patience or Waste of Space?-december-07-torazo-shiro-048.jpg  

I can see why you picked #3, but there are several that look interesting.
    I think #17 would have made a fun one to watch grow, but as with all of them the real potential is so tough to judge from a picture.

I measured her a couple of days ago at 24.5 inches. The Sumi is slightly more consolidated, but still very like what it was when she was tosai. Note the shoulder area.

I am conflicted about this fish. Some days, she tops my list to move on. Other days, I'm too curious about what will happen to think of getting rid of her.

Thoughts, guesses, comments welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shiro Utsuri: Worth Patience or Waste of Space?-torazoi-nov-08-24.5in-001.jpg   Shiro Utsuri: Worth Patience or Waste of Space?-torazoi-nov-08-24.5in-003.jpg   Shiro Utsuri: Worth Patience or Waste of Space?-torazoi-nov-08-24.5in-016.jpg   Shiro Utsuri: Worth Patience or Waste of Space?-torazoi-nov-08-24.5in-017.jpg  

I can certainly understand your conflict.
    On one hand, the pattern has done nothing but improve as the stray sumi has disappeared while retaining the major blocks into a pattern with a lot of potential. The shoulder pattern could contract just a bit, and there appears to be some potential for a nice slash of sumi to emerge down the right side of the forehead. Growth has been quite good, conformation seems to have plenty of long term potential, the shiroji doesn't appear hard, and the motoguro has sumi above the base to draw strength from.

On the other hand, how do you play the guessing game with how or when the sumi will finish??? Will it remain a smokey style or eventually rise to form a thick black laquer? I don't understand the way this look develops well enough to form an educated guess, but it does make me want to see it in another year or two.

I don't envy you your decision, but if you do move her on make sure she goes to a close friend who will allow you visitation rights Stay or go, I would have to see her down the road just to satisfy my curiosity
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

I think she would look great if the sumi ever finished up. Especially if the sumi on her nose from the tosai picture ever appears. If you feel like moving her to VA let me know...I have room for her .
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Morning Mike,

I followed the advice on the second post and selected before I moved on. Didn't pick yours... I like the one at about 11:00 in the tub pic. Not a lot of sumi yet, but the skin looks great and I like her body.

I'd hang onto your fish. She looks like she's of great quality, and if that's the case, the sumi will come... I had the priviledge of speaking to Hiro Omosako at our show in September, and listened in as he spoke to someone about their SU. Basically, if the quality is good, the sumi will come back. The owner of the SU actually brought a photo of her fish when she was tosai and purchased, and now, 3 years later at 26" she's still all white except for one spot of sumi near the head. The photo as tosai showed a lot of beautiful sumi but apparently the fish has been white for a long time. The SU in question also won the tategoi award at the show... so time will tell.

Grant

Sansai
    I also like #10 and #16, but in the tub picture it's #3 all the way. I like the choice.

The skin is coming along very nicely IMO. The black needs more time is all. Only reason to give it up would be if you don't like the body. Is it proportional or is it leaning toward short and bellied? Hard to tell from the pics.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast