Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OMG what on earth is this....SICK KOI

SICK KOI....dying by the minute.

As soon as I woke up, I headed outside to feed my koi, as i started to feed them i notice that one was just floating, bouncing, just dangling about. I grabbed my net and catched her, this was easy as she was just bouncing everywhere. It was then that i noticed it had flaky skin. maybe the starts of dropsy, not quite sure as this is my first time with any problems. It was then that i looked closely to another one of my babies, and notice hat it too was swimming funny, but this one only has opaque eyes, not clear at all like the y used to be....wHAT should i do?
    MY orange koi, what is it classified as?thank u

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OMG what on earth is this....SICK KOI-photo-0001.jpg   OMG what on earth is this....SICK KOI-photo-0002.jpg   OMG what on earth is this....SICK KOI-photo-0003.jpg  

Start reading the first few posts on this thread and post back the water tests I asked for on your own pond. You've got some serious water problems and infections have started as a result along with some other potential issues we'll need detailed water tests to pin down.
    http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/genera...-urgently.html

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Start reading the first few posts on this thread and post back the water tests I asked for on your own pond. You've got some serious water problems and infections have started as a result along with some other potential issues we'll need detailed water tests to pin down.
    http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/genera...-urgently.html
    Ok. let me get those to you...im new to this and need as much help as possible i would hate to loose my beloved koi.

unfortunately my koi has died, i have separated them i left. i have 4 possible sick ones, how much water should i change?
    The only test i have are the strip kind. It tells me that my water is alkaline, PH at 8.4, My water is hard, and i have high levels of Nitrate. How do i remedy these problems????

The only test i have are the strip kind. It tells me that my water is alkaline, PH at 8.4, My water is hard, and i have high levels of Nitrate. How do i remedy these problems????

Quote Originally Posted by elcosalteco69 View Post
    Other than the pH, the other info is somewhat useless I'm afraid. Your statements are relative. Please don't be insulted, but what is "high levels" of nitrate? 10ppm? 350ppm? 10ppm for me is high. 10ppm for some is business as usual. Low levels of nitrate isn't going to harm your fish, but we'd need to know the hard numbers to help you.

Your "water is hard"... again, numbers please.

I'm sorry for your Koi that died. To help prevent this in the future, please obtain a decent drop kit for at least the pH, Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia, kH and one for measuring salt (unfortunately) will probably come in handy for you in the near future.

We'd also need stat's on your pond. Gallons, turnover rate, filtration, design, depth, aeration etc.

Not trying to be rude, but without this info, you can't be helped properly.

Best wishes,

Grant

We still need all the info asked for but if you have high Nitrates (any measuring on a strip or drop test) you need to start doing water changes. That's the only way to get rid of Nitrates.

Do you keep salt in the pond on a regular basis? Do you have a heated QT?

Do you have a Vet that you work with that may be willing to treat your fish or sell you the injectible antibiotics?

We need numbers for:

pH
    NitrItes
    NitrAtes
    Ammonia
    Hardness
    KH

You're going to need salt from HD or Lowe's in the blue bag by the water softeners.

Quote Originally Posted by gcuss View Post
    Other than the pH, the other info is somewhat useless I'm afraid. Your statements are relative. Please don't be insulted, but what is "high levels" of nitrate? 10ppm? 350ppm? 10ppm for me is high. 10ppm for some is business as usual. Low levels of nitrate isn't going to harm your fish, but we'd need to know the hard numbers to help you.

Your "water is hard"... again, numbers please.

I'm sorry for your Koi that died. To help prevent this in the future, please obtain a decent drop kit for at least the pH, Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia, kH and one for measuring salt (unfortunately) will probably come in handy for you in the near future.

We'd also need stat's on your pond. Gallons, turnover rate, filtration, design, depth, aeration etc.

Not trying to be rude, but without this info, you can't be helped properly.

Best wishes,

Grant
    nitrate- 20ppm
    nitrite- 1.0 ppm
    hardness (kh)- 300ppm
    alkalinity- 180ppm
    ph- 8.4
    square pond, 30 inches deep, bottom fed filter with a diy biological, no skimmers, no bd( i know how important they are but just havent had the chance to add any.

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    We still need all the info asked for but if you have high Nitrates (any measuring on a strip or drop test) you need to start doing water changes. That's the only way to get rid of Nitrates.

Do you keep salt in the pond on a regular basis? Do you have a heated QT?

Do you have a Vet that you work with that may be willing to treat your fish or sell you the injectible antibiotics?

We need numbers for:

pH
    NitrItes
    NitrAtes
    Ammonia
    Hardness
    KH

You're going to need salt from HD or Lowe's in the blue bag by the water softeners.
    i have never added salt to my tank until today, i used " aquarium salt" it states" natural fish tonc, adds essential electrolytes, improves gill action, promotes disease recovery. it a rocky salt.
    i need as much info as i can, more to say...help. that what i need.

Ok, what is the ammonia level? The higher the pH, the more toxic ammonia is.

Do you keep salt in the pond all the time?

You need to start doing a 25-30% water change to dilute the NitrAtes. That is the only way. The NitrItes are too high also. You're going to need to add salt to .3%. This will keep them from getting brown blood disease form the NitrItes and help them deal with stress.

Have you added any new fish or plants lately? Do you have a scope? Do you belong to a club or have KHA nearby?

Sorry for all the questions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast