Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pls comment on this Tosai Showa

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleakpond View Post
    We willl be in Guangzhou for about two weeks starting on Sunday.

Is it possible to visit this farm? Could I get an address or directions? I think if would be a very interesting visit.
    when you go take lots of pics of stuff (besides koi)...especially filtration details

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    when you go take lots of pics of stuff (besides koi)...especially filtration details

Was planning on it - if I can get an address. Hopefully, not too far from Guangzhou as we have a lot of appointments scheduled practically every day. Will have to work around them. Only breeder I've been to is Brett's, so it would be interesting to see the comparison.

I am impressed, very nice filtration and pond. I assum it is a flow through system fed by a well? What is your source water chemistry?
    Bob

Nisai
    Was planning on it - if I can get an address. Hopefully, not too far from Guangzhou as we have a lot of appointments scheduled practically every day. Will have to work around them. Only breeder I've been to is Brett's, so it would be interesting to see the comparison.

Sorry for the delayed reply. As a matter of fact the owner spent the weekend in my place attending a function organised by our local koi club. He was just back to Guangzhou tonight. His farm is situated in the Flower Expo Garden in Fangcun. But if you do not speak Chinese, it would be kind of difficult for you to communicate over there as I believe no one speaks a foreign language in the farm. I will send you a private message with the contact details.

Oyagoi
    My guess.....

You will see something much more impressive and a lot more costly than my Third World operation.

Remember, my farm is financed 100% out of my hip pocket, and MY government gives me regulations, fees, fines, and income tax. Very unlike government subsidized fish farms you will see in many other countries, especially China.

Wish I could come with you. Always nice to see how things are in other places. I've yet to go to a fish farm anywhere that I didn;t learn something useful. I get to a place like that, I might not want to come home!

A lot of my customers spend a lot of time in China, especially if they are in manufacturing or sales. One in particular comes to mind, "The Chair Guy" he makes chairs. He told me for years he resisted sourcing in China, bought all he needed in the USA, but finally had to give in as he could no longer compete.

My cousin spends a lot of time there, he makes valves. He brings back some really nice "Rolex" watches for $10.

So far all the Chinese koi I see being sold in the pet shops around Houston are really poor quality. I get the idea this new farm will be producing a much higher grade of fish.

The 4" koi that wholesaled for $2.75 ten years ago now sells for about $0.35. Meanwhile my cost of production is up over 400%. Too much squeeze for this Texas boy. My other guess is that the only fish I'll be producing in the future are varieties (species) not available in China. That does not include koi.

Do this one thing when you go out to eat or go to the supermarket. Look at the "COOL" (Country of Origin Label), if it says "China" or anywhere in SE Asia, don;t buy it, surely don;t put it in your mouth. Especialy seafood, if tainted or unable to pass purity testing, the EU won;t buy it, so it ends up in the US where all that matters is price, not consumer safety. Worse yet, Arkansas won;t allow seafood from outside the US to enter the state unless it can be documented and tested as "clean". Most of it isn't, guess where it ends up? In Texas.

Brett, who is very happy we don;t eat koi, so they will be safe to the consumer if imported from China or elsewhere.
    Brett

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by 西湖上 View Post
    Sorry for the delayed reply. As a matter of fact the owner spent the weekend in my place attending a function organised by our local koi club. He was just back to Guangzhou tonight. His farm is situated in the Flower Expo Garden in Fangcun. But if you do not speak Chinese, it would be kind of difficult for you to communicate over there as I believe no one speaks a foreign language in the farm. I will send you a private message with the contact details.

Thanks - got your pm, but unfortunately it was after we got back. For some reason - could not access this site while there. Language wouldn't have been a problem as we had a person with us that spoke Mandarin/Cantonese/English. I will keep the contact info though - never know when I will be back in that neck of the woods. I think it would have been a very interesting visit.

For some reason - could not access this site while there.
    Censorship of the Internet is common in certain parts of the world.

I expect this was technical problems. Yi has no problem with access.
    Last edited by MikeM; 01-29-2009 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Typo

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    I expect this was technical problems. Yi has no problem with access.

I suspect you're right. The hotel internet was quite squirrely at times.

I can't think of too many things I've read on this site that would be considered dangerous or offensive.

Maybe the FIR wars.

I am often frustrated by hotel internet connections. Last Fall I took my laptop with me to NJ for the Nisei Koi Farm harvest and had nothing but problems. I understand they worked out the problems before I left, but I didn't even bother after the frustration of the first night.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12