Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Water Change Question

Fry

Water Change Question

Hi guys!

My dad has always been a koi enthusiast. He built an outdoor pond 4 years ago with approximately 16,000 gallons. However, my dad was out of the country most of the time and the pond remained empty for the first 3 years. I recently took up an interest, bought my first 5 kois a year ago, and slowly adding more over the year.

Anyway, I'm learning as I go, mostly learning and gathering information from online sources and koi retailers. I was told by someone that I had to do water changes for better water quality. Well I tried to do that 2 weeks ago, drained out about 2000 gallons and refilled with tap water, adding dechlorinator of course, all with the kois in the pond. They seemed fine during the water change, but over the next 2 days, 6 of my smaller kois (5-9") died, while all my medium kois (12-19") were fine.

What am I doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by scawacs View Post
    Hi guys!

My dad has always been a koi enthusiast. He built an outdoor pond 4 years ago with approximately 16,000 gallons. However, my dad was out of the country most of the time and the pond remained empty for the first 3 years. I recently took up an interest, bought my first 5 kois a year ago, and slowly adding more over the year.

Anyway, I'm learning as I go, mostly learning and gathering information from online sources and koi retailers. I was told by someone that I had to do water changes for better water quality. Well I tried to do that 2 weeks ago, drained out about 2000 gallons and refilled with tap water, adding dechlorinator of course, all with the kois in the pond. They seemed fine during the water change, but over the next 2 days, 6 of my smaller kois (5-9") died, while all my medium kois (12-19") were fine.

What am I doing wrong?
    I'd check your tap water source, first off. Then, I'd ask myself what dechlorinator you used. If you just used a dechlorinator that doesn't take care of chloramine, and you have chloramine in your source water, then that could be the culprit.

That is odd, though.

MCA
    What am I doing wrong?
    You question implies that there was only one thing wrong....and that there may be a linkage from the water change to the death of fish. We cam not jump to either conclusion at this stage....far too little data.

Join at least one nearby koi club. Second, start up a koi keeping library. There are many good books about koi you can find at Amazon or other source. Subscribe to KOIUSA, KoiNations, and other magazines about the hobby. Put the books and magazine on your Christmas list!!!!! What type of water quality test equipment do you have? If you do not have a good test drop kit (there are many brands such as Tetra, Hach, LaMott,) then that also goes on your Christmas list!!!!! If you have a water quality test kit, run the tests and tell us the current parameters: temp, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, KH, GH, DO....etc. If you do not have microscope, a good one can be had for around $150 would also make a great item for the Christmas list.

What declor product did you use...and how much of it?

When in a stressful environment...it is usually the weakest (youngest and oldest) that go first. Did any of the deak koi have ulcers? Did their gills look damaged?

Based on what you have reported so far, I am afraid most of us would only be guessing as to what happened. We need objective data (test results) to go to the next level.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Fry
    I used Tetrapond Aquasafe, which does remove chloramines too. I used the amount as directed on the bottle.

I also have water test kit by PondCare. Ammonia, Nitrite and phosphate levels have always been close to zero. Water pH has been constant at 8.2.

There are soo many books out there on kois that I'm not sure which are the reliable ones. Could you please recommend me one or two good ones?

MCA
    At the bottom is a reference list I started long ago. It is defintely not exhastive.

These 3 books are a good start for a basic library. The first one is more about telling folks that a watergarden is not a koi pond is not a watergarden. You would not believe how many folks still do not grasp that.

Koi for Dummies
    Koi Kichi
    Koi Living Jewels of the Orient

Books
    Koi Kichi
    Koi 2 Kichi
    Koi Living Jewels of the Orient
    Tetra Encyclopedia of Koi
    The Completely Illustrated Guide to Koi
    Koi Appreciation: The First Step
    Kokugyo Volume 1
    Kokugyo Volume 2
    Manual of Koi Health
    Koi Health and Disease 2006 Reload
    Step by Step Advanced Koi Diagnosis & Treatments
    Advanced Koi Care
    The Koi Doctor
    Koi A Handbook on Keeping Nishikigoi
    The Cult of the Koi
    Koi for Dummies
    Textbook of Nishikigoi
    Manual of Nishikigoi
    Modern Nishikigoi
    Nishikigoi, Fancy Koi
    Koi for Home and Garden

Magazines
    KOIUSA (magazine of AKCA)
    Koi Nation
    Koi (former Koi Ponds and Gardens)
    Koi Carp (magazine of BKKS)
    Nichirin (magazine of ZNA)
    Nishikigoi International

DVD magazines
    KoiFixx (excellent series by Brady)

On-line koi magazines
    Koi-Bito
    Rinko

DVDs and Tapes
    Living Jewels series (10 plust a "Best of")
    Koi Keepers series (5 released)
    Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Koi
    Pond Construction
    Koi Carp Master Class: Starting Out
    Advanced Koi Keeping (oldie but goodie by Brady)
    Project: Koi Pond

Note on the DVDs and tapes: Many of the above titles are in PAL format from Europe. So your computer should be able to play them. But for you to see them on your DVD player and TV, the DVD player may need to be both "region free" and be able to convert PAL to NTSC (North American video standard).

Fry
    thank you!

its also nice to have other friends locally whom you can trade books with...that way your library of koi books can be expanded without alot of $$ out of the pocket....(just make sure they are friends that you can trust to return them-but, of course you'll have their books so if they want them back--they'll have to)
    Lawanna