Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Think Spring: Orlando March 13-15

Think Spring: Orlando March 13-15

All this talk of winter should have folks in the right frame of mind. Plan now to attend the Central Florida Koi Show in Orlando, March 13-15, 2009. (This is about a week later than last year to better assure warmth in the Florida sun.)

Plans are coming together for another great show at the Holiday Inn International Drive Resort. Our Co-chairs this year are Joe White and Don Hellard. The Show Director is Henry Culpepper. The volunteer team leaders include the same crew that has made this one of the best shows in the country, plus new faces with fresh ideas.

The Vendor Fair is going to be phenomenal. All but 5 of our 52 prime vendor spaces are taken. Our vendors are coming from all over, including one making the trip from Taiwan especially for this show. Koi dealers coming include Kodama from Hawaii; Eastern, Champion, Genki and Peters & Son from California; Ray Abell from VA. Plus, domestic breeders coming include Nisei Koi Farm, Purdin Koi, Blackwater Creek, Tarheel Koi, Florida Koi, Sandy Acres, SunDan.... and more. So, there will be koi for every taste and price range. ...The line to get numbers for buying from Eastern's tosai tank will open as soon as the bags are floating! [(:] There will be 5 koi food booths, 3 specialty filter booths, 3 pond supply booths, plus specialty vendors, water & bog garden plants, Koi apparel, custom embroidery booths, art and garden decor. Something for everyone.

Of course, there are raffles and auctions. And, we will once again have a day of seminars on Saturday with topics of interest to all hobbyist levels.

We can fill 3 days for any kichi never to be bored! ...and the less obsessed family members can take in all the attractions that make Orlando the #1 tourist destination in the world. (And, if you'd like something different than theme parks, we can suggest lesser known local treats, like the largest collection of Tiffany glass in the world housed at the Morse Museum, or 'how to survive Bike Week without a hog' courses. )

And, in regard to koi being entered into the show, I've already begun to hear about some entries under consideration that are surely among the best in the country.

So, stop thinking 'winter' and start thinking of any early Spring ... while lots of travel discounts are being offered.

BTW, the website is being updated now (cfks.org). Check it out in a few days for more details, entry forms, etc.

Sansai

I'll be there

I miss Russell Peters like crazy: it will be just like being back in Calif with some of the best Calif. dealers there. The fish are looking forward to it: it's been cold too long.

I've been hoping you'd be coming! Your reputation for great koi precedes you.

Sansai
    Mike, any chance you can talk Mat McCann into doing a seminar? I know last year was a bummer without one of his talks.

Meg
    'how to survive Bike Week without a hog' courses. )

please....do tell....it may buy me another day at the koi show

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Mike, any chance you can talk Mat McCann into doing a seminar? I know last year was a bummer without one of his talks.
    Hmmmm.... I'm thinking of all sorts of topics I'd like to hear Mat talk about. Wonder what he'd be willing to 'lecture' on? ...His talks are interesting because he really tries to teach how to understand what you are seeing in a fish. I'll get with the speaker coordinator.

Meg: I'm not a Bike Week kinda guy, but some years ago I got involved with seizing counterfeit H-D stuff. The fun job that had lots of volunteers was wandering around, checking out all the guys selling stuff out of the back of their vans, and then directing marshalls where to make their seizures. The most effective were guys who could talk the talk, and any gal with a southern accent.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Hmmmm.... I'm thinking of all sorts of topics I'd like to hear Mat talk about. Wonder what he'd be willing to 'lecture' on? ...His talks are interesting because he really tries to teach how to understand what you are seeing in a fish. I'll get with the speaker coordinator.

Meg: I'm not a Bike Week kinda guy, but some years ago I got involved with seizing counterfeit H-D stuff. The fun job that had lots of volunteers was wandering around, checking out all the guys selling stuff out of the back of their vans, and then directing marshalls where to make their seizures. The most effective were guys who could talk the talk, and any gal with a southern accent.

OK..I can imagine you dressed as a biker chick..but not with a Southern accent...
    got any video?

Meg
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    see now my DH would have a blast involved with some such thing...lord knows he can "talk bike"!

thats quite the imagination Luke! LOL!!

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    see now my DH would have a blast involved with some such thing...lord knows he can "talk bike"!

thats quite the imagination Luke! LOL!!
    Not really meg. Think about it...which is easier to imagine? MikeM talking "Biker Stuff" with the boys, or him in high-heel boots with a Southern Accent

Jumbo
    Dick and I won't make the show this year!! Last year's drive was really hard on hubby. He is now battling a cancerous tumor in his neck. Will likely be enduring chemo and radiation over the next few months. Surgery (biopsy) scheduled for Tuesday. If all goes well we're hoping for Louisville this year. The drive is a bit easier.Sue

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast