Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help with New Camera

Need help with New Camera

Hi, as you all know Camera’s manufactures change models regularly and it makes it very difficult for a person like me, as my skills with a camera is extremely challenged, but I would like a good camera that can do the job, without too many setting, preferably auto LOL.

I would really like some help and your opinion as to which Camera model and make, (lens, wide angle/zoom/ flash?) that would be best suited for taking Koi pictures in a bowl and does well with water glare and is also good for general use.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    Hi, as you all know Camera’s manufactures change models regularly and it makes it very difficult for a person like me, as my skills with a camera is extremely challenged, but I would like a good camera that can do the job, without too many setting, preferably auto LOL.

I would really like some help and your opinion as to which Camera model and make, (lens, wide angle/zoom/ flash?) that would be best suited for taking Koi pictures in a bowl and does well with water glare and is also good for general use.
    I would take a basic course on photography first . That will help you decide . Digital would be the way to go . You did not mention price range ?

I guess what you want to do is go out to a camera store and try one out. What I learned is each camera brand has it's own following, you have Canon, Nikon, Sony and etc...For shoothing koi in a bowl, probably a DSLR would do it.

I would checkout this website:

Recommended Cameras

Talking

I got a new Canon xsi for Christmas. I love the camera and it in not to difficult to use. Set it to portrait for the flash or the green automatic position and shoot away. My last digital took about 1/2 second to shoot once the trigger was depressed and often I missed the fish! Do you like the misssing head shot? This new camera shoots 3 and 1/2 shots per second. Plus the viewfinder is 3 inches. You can actually see what you shot. Having said this, I'm sure there are other excellent cameras to check out.
    Full Time Koi NUT
    SoCal beats NorCal KOI UNIT
    Mark W
    CKHPA

Next camera I get will be suitable for photographing water.

Hey! You switched! Didn't you shoot with Nikon? I think that both cameras are great companies and either would do just fine. I also got a new Canon. I ended up staying with Canon due to having spent money on the lenses. I also love the fact that I can now see the picture from the viewfinder, which I went from 1.8inch to a 3inch viewfinder, and does it make a difference! Maybe people should show some pics of fish and what equipment was used and at what setting to give people a better feel of what's to be expected of how the images will look like. I'm hoping to make it to the All Japan again this year, and will be taking a lot of pictures if I make it there.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by 111whalen View Post
    I got a new Canon xsi for Christmas. I love the camera and it in not to difficult to use. Set it to portrait for the flash or the green automatic position and shoot away. My last digital took about 1/2 second to shoot once the trigger was depressed and often I missed the fish! Do you like the misssing head shot? This new camera shoots 3 and 1/2 shots per second. Plus the viewfinder is 3 inches. You can actually see what you shot. Having said this, I'm sure there are other excellent cameras to check out.

Rob,
    I did not switch-I had an old film Rebel. I bought the new one so I could use the old lenses. Only issue is the old lenses don't have stabilizaton. My last digitial was an Olympus-worked great except for the shutter speed.

Thanks for feedback, did some homework today and came up with the following, bear in mind in South Africa we have wonderful weather for koi, water temp today 25.6, but behind in technical equipment and price.
    Canon Eos 450 with a Canon 17-85 mm 2.8 lens.
    The Camera web sites recommend lesser camera body more lens do you agree, or does the 450 have a known drawback?

For the same price I can get a Canon Eos 50d 17-85mm 3.5-4.5 lens

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    Thanks for feedback, did some homework today and came up with the following, bear in mind in South Africa we have wonderful weather for koi, water temp today 25.6, but behind in technical equipment and price.
    Canon Eos 450 with a Canon 17-85 mm 2.8 lens.
    The Camera web sites recommend lesser camera body more lens do you agree, or does the 450 have a known drawback?

For the same price I can get a Canon Eos 50d 17-85mm 3.5-4.5 lens
    I just bought an old Nikon D70 last month and I like it...It seems to have better action than my D80. I bought the camera body for $200, even thou it doesnt have a high megapixal count it's fun to use.

But if I were to choose from the 2 you mentioned I would go for the Canon 50D, it has solid fast action.

The Camera web sites recommend lesser camera body more lens do you agree?

I would get a good camera body your comfortable with, not to expensive and has enough functions you can learn to use. Most people dont use half the functions that comes with their camera and most use some photo programs for touch up anyways.

Tony...
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast