Home | About Us | Contact Us


Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Trap-door snails

  1. #1
    Oyagoi gcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Maple Falls, WA
    Posts
    1,620

    Trap-door snails

    Any idea how to get rid of them?

    My wife put 2 big ones in our pond originally, and they're now removed to her water garden. However, the stubborn things have managed to migrate through all pond upgrades by clinging to media/pumps skimmers... what-have-you.

    Anyway, now they're numbering in the hundreds inside my Easy that's filtering the inside tank. They're all very tiny (biggest about the size of a rice krispie) and I wipe them out with a paper towel during back washing but I can't get rid of the things.

    If it really isn't a big deal, I could be convinced to leave them. But is there something out there that will eradicate them, and leave the fish alone?

    Thanks,

    Grant

  2. #2
    Daihonmei MikeM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    11,128
    They aren't a problem. When you have water temps above 74F, get a clown loach or two from a tropical fish shop. They prefer snails to most other foods. All that will be left is empty shells. ...You'll not see it happen. They are nocturnal predators of snails.

    Do not use chemical concoctions sold to get rid of snails. They contain too much copper to use with koi.

  3. #3
    Oyagoi gcuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Maple Falls, WA
    Posts
    1,620
    Thanks Mike, I wasn't too keen on throwing anything other than food and dechlor into my water anyway.

    I'll continue with the "manual" method for now. It is a heated indoor pond and I could drive the temp up for that fish you're talking about, but I don't know how happy he'd be swirling in the easy....

    Grant

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    169

    Smile

    but I don't know how happy he'd be swirling in the easy....

    Grant[/quote]

    LOL........very funny!

    I do have the same problem too. I find lots of snails in my outdoor pond about 2 months ago. They are mainly in my filters walls and lots of them are floating on the water surface. I remove hundreds of them by net every few days. Never have this problem for the last 20 years. Wonder how I got them into my pond? Maybe from the birds? Hope they are NOT harmful to my koi? Do I need to be concern if they cannot be removed
    permanently?

    Thanks!
    Derrick

  5. #5
    Daihonmei MikeM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    11,128
    The snails do no harm, except for the possibility of clogging a pump. I've only seen that happen with small aquarium pumps.

    It is a curiosity how snails can appear from nowhere. I had no snails for years. About 4 months after my current pond was built, common pond snails appeared. They accumulated in the EAzy. The ones in the pond got eaten. When I cleaned the EAzy, after emptying the chamber I used the garden hose with spray nozzle attached to wash them down the drain. Eventually, I just stopped seeing them.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    169

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The snails do no harm, except for the possibility of clogging a pump. I've only seen that happen with small aquarium pumps.

    It is a curiosity how snails can appear from nowhere. I had no snails for years. About 4 months after my current pond was built, common pond snails appeared. They accumulated in the EAzy. The ones in the pond got eaten. When I cleaned the EAzy, after emptying the chamber I used the garden hose with spray nozzle attached to wash them down the drain. Eventually, I just stopped seeing them.
    Hi Mike,

    Thanks for the information!

    Should I feed the snails to my koi since I net hundreds of them from my filters every few days?

    Regards,
    Derrick

  7. #7
    Daihonmei MikeM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    11,128
    Why not? ... I'd not recommend bringing in snails from another source for feeding. Any live food can carry parasites, etc. Snails in the filter system pose no such risk. Whatever they may have carried in originally is already there. BTW, on NI, JR has posted info on the natural components of the carp diet according to a study done on carp in one geographic region. Snails were a significant percentage of the carp diet.

  8. #8
    Meg
    Meg is offline
    Oyagoi Meg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    1,682
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    on NI, JR has posted info on the natural components of the carp diet according to a study done on carp in one geographic region. Snails were a significant percentage of the carp diet.
    guess that is why you all are finding them in the filter systems and not in the pond

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, B.C. Canada
    Posts
    169

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Why not? ... I'd not recommend bringing in snails from another source for feeding. Any live food can carry parasites, etc. Snails in the filter system pose no such risk. Whatever they may have carried in originally is already there. BTW, on NI, JR has posted info on the natural components of the carp diet according to a study done on carp in one geographic region. Snails were a significant percentage of the carp diet.

    Thanks Mike!
    Glad to know that I have live koi food for free. Anything free is hard to come by these days.

    Derrick

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-10-2009, 05:19 PM
  2. snails
    By aughysgirl in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-08-2008, 11:26 AM
  3. Snails in Ponds
    By davidk in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-04-2007, 01:51 PM
  4. snails and algaecides....
    By denver koi in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-30-2006, 09:32 AM
  5. Snails?.......
    By adreamer2 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-11-2006, 02:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Articles - Sitemap - FAQs and Rules

KB Footer Graphic
Straight from Japan... For the serious hobbyist!
All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com