Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solar Pond Heat

Jumbo

Solar Pond Heat

Anyone heating their pond with solar water collectors?
    I might have found a good deal on some 2 by 10 foot collectors and want to use one to heat my pond. I am thinking of just pumping pond water through the collector during the day, then it would drain back and empty at night for freeze protection.
    Has anyone done this?

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    Anyone heating their pond with solar water collectors?
    I might have found a good deal on some 2 by 10 foot collectors and want to use one to heat my pond. I am thinking of just pumping pond water through the collector during the day, then it would drain back and empty at night for freeze protection.
    Has anyone done this?
    One problem that can arise from using solar heating for the pond (especially in the application you described) is that there can be way too much water temperature flustuation from day to night since it would only be heating during the day and cooling at night. This "can" be every unstable and detrimental. That being said, if there was an insulated) solar collector resevouir (perhaps in a basement), this warm water heated through the day could also be utilized at night to maintain a temperature. This would require a "double loop" system. One loop would be from the panels to the resevoiur and the second loop would be resevoiur to pond.

The panel loop should run throughout the day only and heat the resevoiur as high as possible ("may" not even need a temperature controller depending on maximum heating possible for an area but a simple timer for day light hours instead) while the Pond loop would be run based upon a temperature controller. and suck the heat from the resevoiur as needed.

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    One problem that can arise from using solar heating for the pond (especially in the application you described) is that there can be way too much water temperature flustuation from day to night since it would only be heating during the day and cooling at night. This "can" be every unstable and detrimental.
    Steve
    I have thought about that Steve. I have no idea how much my pond would swing but here in the desert at 3000 feet the air temp swings about 30 degrees from night to day. I have no basement, but do have a 5.5 KW heater on the pond. Right now my heater runs 24/7, so hopefully I can go solar during the day and elec. at night. I'm hoping to be able to keep the pond warmer than my current 55 with less elec. cost.

Jumbo
    Here's what I would like to do. Circulate the pond water from a pump into the bottom of the solar collector and out the top of it back to the pond. The roof on my filter house is a flat shed roof with a 12-2 slope. If I mount the solar collector the same angle as the roof then at night when the pump shuts down I'm hoping the collector outlet will vent it and all the water will drain out of it at the low point through the pump, for freeze prevention.
    What do you think? Will it work?

Honmei
    Here's what I would like to do. Circulate the pond water from a pump into the bottom of the solar collector and out the top of it back to the pond. The roof on my filter house is a flat shed roof with a 12-2 slope. If I mount the solar collector the same angle as the roof then at night when the pump shuts down I'm hoping the collector outlet will vent it and all the water will drain out of it at the low point through the pump, for freeze prevention.
    What do you think? Will it work?
    Steve,
    I guess the draining of the panels would depending on the panels and how they are installed. In addition, all water within the lines to and from the panel would have to drain or they too would be subject to freezing. Any low points within a panel will hold water and thus be subject to freeze. The circulation line would also need a vent inorder to drain. Also keep in mind that solar panels are low volume, low pressure flow through and thus the pressure and flow would be critical.

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    Steve,
    I guess the draining of the panels would depending on the panels and how they are installed. In addition, all water within the lines to and from the panel would have to drain or they too would be subject to freezing. Any low points within a panel will hold water and thus be subject to freeze. The circulation line would also need a vent inorder to drain. Also keep in mind that solar panels are low volume, low pressure flow through and thus the pressure and flow would be critical.

Steve
    Yep, i have thought about that. If I'm able to get these panels I will find out how much flow it or they need. I drew a picture but for some reason I can't up load it. But i was hoping the open outlet line would act as a vent. The panel will be mounted with the east end a foot below the west end so I'm hoping it will drain.
    Keep the thoughts coming. All things I need to consider before doing this.

Yep, i have thought about that. If I'm able to get these panels I will find out how much flow it or they need. I drew a picture but for some reason I can't up load it. But i was hoping the open outlet line would act as a vent. The panel will be mounted with the east end a foot below the west end so I'm hoping it will drain.
    Keep the thoughts coming. All things I need to consider before doing this.
    Again Steve has some good points. It sounds as though you have a lot of sun , so why not get several rolls of low cost black pipe put it on the roof then use a small pump in pond the pump being small enough to have as slow flow as possible you could also use this for prewarming water during water changes.
    Regards
    Eugene

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugeneg View Post
    Again Steve has some good points. It sounds as though you have a lot of sun , so why not get several rolls of low cost black pipe put it on the roof then use a small pump in pond the pump being small enough to have as slow flow as possible you could also use this for prewarming water during water changes.
    Regards
    Eugene
    they make passive solar panels that are flat and gather ALOT of heat from the sun...they are not expensive but there is a risk they will burst if it becomes too cold

Tosai
    Something that will work is get 2 used electric water tanks as large as possable and burry them . The ground will help keep temp hot . They sell small recirc pumps for home hot water recirc systems. They only use 33 watts and made for hot water. Two pumps 1 for recirc on pannels one for pond recirc . You can build a heat exchanger from 1/2 inch pex tubing . It is used for raidiant floor heat systems in houses .

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by miller View Post
    Something that will work is get 2 used electric water tanks as large as possable and burry them . The ground will help keep temp hot . They sell small recirc pumps for home hot water recirc systems. They only use 33 watts and made for hot water. Two pumps 1 for recirc on pannels one for pond recirc . You can build a heat exchanger from 1/2 inch pex tubing . It is used for raidiant floor heat systems in houses .
    No that won't work...more hrs of cold than warmth

deep treching alot of that small pipe and running the pond through it might do some good..if it is deep enough

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast