Home | About Us | Contact Us


Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: the return of the comeback?

  1. #1
    Nisai mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    139

    the return of the comeback?

    hi guys!

    i am a returning koi hobbyist. unfortunately, i've forgotten many koi-things i need to know. especially on how to pick koi.

    please comment on these koi - what i did right or wrong





    oh, and like before, please don't hold back the criticisms. it's for my own good
    especially the kiwa and sashi mistakes.

  2. #2
    MCA
    MCA is offline
    Honmei MCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,574
    looks like hi on dorsal fin on at least two. could be the photo angle.

  3. #3
    Daihonmei
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,198
    FIRST OFF!
    do not place your fish on your bathroom floor to take pics of them.


    besides that you done good.
    Healthy fairly decent Kohakus, they both have futures and could become much better if they do "good kohaku" things.
    We won't know till you grow em out.

  4. #4
    Daihonmei MikeM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    11,128
    If you were looking to pick winners in Size 1, you messed up. These will need to reach Size 4.

    Beni quality is always difficult from photos, but I see nothing to be concerned about. The glint of lustre suggests good skin quality. They remind me of Hoshino. Should be a pleasure to grow. I wish you all females!

    Who is the breeder?

  5. #5
    Nisai mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    139
    thanks guys, i'll add some more pics to get some more angles.

    there are 3 of them ... (i know they pretty much look alike, but this is an experiment in - will they be better filled out when they grow bigger)
    i kinda don't like seeing big kohakus with sparse hi patches

    kohaku 1 is alone in the pics, 2 and 3 are always together

    will have to check though on who the breeder was - just wanted to refill my pond. (gave my dad 17 of my kois + thinking of giving him 4 more)

    so now i'll have some space.

    edit: it looks like all 3 have HI on their dorsal fins. lol. i did not know that was a no-no anyway, i'm concerned on the HI on the body - what are your predictions?





  6. #6
    Nisai mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    looks like hi on dorsal fin on at least two. could be the photo angle.
    good catch!

    Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    FIRST OFF!
    do not place your fish on your bathroom floor to take pics of them.


    besides that you done good.
    Healthy fairly decent Kohakus, they both have futures and could become much better if they do "good kohaku" things.
    We won't know till you grow em out.
    lol, i don't buy koi often and think that investing on the big tub is a bit inefficient for my meager budget

    what are good kohaku things?

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    If you were looking to pick winners in Size 1, you messed up. These will need to reach Size 4.

    Beni quality is always difficult from photos, but I see nothing to be concerned about. The glint of lustre suggests good skin quality. They remind me of Hoshino. Should be a pleasure to grow. I wish you all females!

    Who is the breeder?
    mr. sakai was the breeder ...

    -0-

    i'm worried about HI that goes byebye - how do you check if a kohaku's HI is going byebye?

    -0-

    oh and one more thing, one of the three kohakus is priced higher than the other two, i'll refrain from pointing which one - and let you guys tell me which one it is and WHY -> that should be a good learning experience for me

  7. #7
    Daihonmei
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,198
    well for one


    A good kohaku thing happens when the hi is drawn out of the dorsal fin. however this is less likely if the hi goes all the way to the dorsal fin's edge

    another is that as a good kohaku finishes growing the edges of the plates tighten up and become sharp

  8. #8
    Meg
    Meg is offline
    Oyagoi Meg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    1,682
    my guess is Kohaku #1 (the one on it's own) is the koi you spent more on.
    judging by the pictures it looks as there is more luster/sheen to it, it has a break of color at the tail and a whiter nose.
    but these are all only gueses
    bowled and pictured together it may be an easier call, but I would enjoy watching any of them develop

  9. #9
    Nisai mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    well for one


    A good kohaku thing happens when the hi is drawn out of the dorsal fin. however this is less likely if the hi goes all the way to the dorsal fin's edge

    another is that as a good kohaku finishes growing the edges of the plates tighten up and become sharp
    i see. thanks, i didn't know HI changed that much (unless it was on it's way out)

    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    my guess is Kohaku #1 (the one on it's own) is the koi you spent more on.
    judging by the pictures it looks as there is more luster/sheen to it, it has a break of color at the tail and a whiter nose.
    but these are all only gueses
    bowled and pictured together it may be an easier call, but I would enjoy watching any of them develop
    i'll let them stay in the pond for awhile before i bowl them all together ... kohaku #1 has gotten some missing scales and perhaps a nose cut because i purchased him alone, he might have gotten those when he was trying to stay away from all the big kois ... it's one of the reasons i bought #2 and #3 so he'd have some same sized friends

Similar Threads

  1. Ideas for a return pipe?
    By Algaemaster in forum Pond Construction
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2012, 10:09 AM
  2. Return to the dark age.
    By dizzyfish in forum Outside
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-29-2010, 09:44 PM
  3. Good Return pumps
    By alien07 in forum Pond Construction
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 01:27 PM
  4. Create return current to the pond
    By Bobby in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-20-2008, 06:35 AM
  5. Return of the Sumi
    By weldec in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 09:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Articles - Sitemap - FAQs and Rules

KB Footer Graphic
Straight from Japan... For the serious hobbyist!
All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com