Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there such thing as a "perfect pond"?

Is there such thing as a "perfect pond"?

I know, I know, this "perfect pond" concept has been dissected and sliced and tossed and trampled and stir fried and, and, and.....over the years that it's not even funny anymore. But, just like the koi journey in itself, I believe that if we remain focused and persevere then, borrowing MikeM quote, there should be a "best and straight path that leads to the top of the mountain." So, allow me to pose this question, if you guys were to pave a "straight path" to the perfect pond, what would it be and why? And, since there are many perceptions of the perfect pond out there, allow me to narrow it down by saying that this "perfect pond" is a pond that is used to raise jumbo koi.

- How big should it be? What gallonage?
    - How deep should it be and why?
    - Does shape of pond matter?
    - Formal/informal and raised/ground level
    - What about a "river system" or just circular pond circulation?
    - What type of filtration would it have?
    - Single type of filtration vs. multiple types of filtration?

Just wanted to stir the pot up a lil!

Until SteveC posts his essays on the subject, I won't touch this with a 10' net handle!

Jumbo
    I don't know if the pond should be considered perfect or the enviroment. My next pond will be in my next house which will have a center court yard for the pond. The house will wrap around three sides of the patio/court yard/pond. It will have a retractable glass roof that is powered open and close. So I can open it in the summer, and close it in the winter. In the winter with the glass roof closed this space will be like inside living space.
    The pond will be 12 by 36, liner flow, about 20,000 gallons.

My thought is even if one had a prefect pond it still takes skill to select the fish and raise the fish in the prefect pond.

Take the Morales for instance, they have countless GC awards and many others with the same line up of fish. The pond hasn't changed much in the last 8 years and they still manage to condition their fish to take title after title when they show. They have a basic design with a no non-sense filteration and I think their pond is no more than 12K gals. Even Duke Nguyen's pond, same design concept with a no non-sense filteration and he was able to maintain a couple of AJKS fish with countless GC winners here. The list goes on and on, with Joe Co, Dinh Nguyen added and many others.

Tony
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Tony, I cannot agree with you more that it takes more than a nice pond to get show-finished jumbo koi. And while anyone can learn more about water quality management and husbandry skills, I believe that it is of necessity to start out with a properly built "perfect pond." Once you have this pond, then I believe that the husbandry skills are much easier to learn and perfect. Just my opinion.

If you were to build your state of the art pond, Tony, what would the specs be?

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    I don't know if the pond should be considered perfect or the enviroment. My next pond will be in my next house which will have a center court yard for the pond. The house will wrap around three sides of the patio/court yard/pond. It will have a retractable glass roof that is powered open and close. So I can open it in the summer, and close it in the winter. In the winter with the glass roof closed this space will be like inside living space.
    The pond will be 12 by 36, liner flow, about 20,000 gallons.
    This sounds like one heck of a state of the art dream pond, Birdman. You brought up a very good point about whether its the pond or environment that is more essential. By "perfect pond" I am implying a pond structure that will provide the best environment or water quality with the least maintenance. It will be designed to provide the most optimal environment for jumbo growth.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Lam Nguyen View Post
    This sounds like one heck of a state of the art dream pond, Birdman. You brought up a very good point about whether its the pond or environment that is more essential. By "perfect pond" I am implying a pond structure that will provide the best environment or water quality with the least maintenance. It will be designed to provide the most optimal environment for jumbo growth.
    Perfect for the fish? Or perfect for the human?
    This is subject to change of course, but so far what I am thinking is 12 by 36 linear flow, 3feet deep at shallow end, 8 to 10 feet at deep end. Built from ICF's with hot water radiant heat in the concrete floor. I haven't fully decided on filtration or flows yet but will be a combination of two banks of 4 tray showers and several sand/gravel filters.

Quote Originally Posted by Lam Nguyen View Post
    Tony, I cannot agree with you more that it takes more than a nice pond to get show-finished jumbo koi. And while anyone can learn more about water quality management and husbandry skills, I believe that it is of necessity to start out with a properly built "perfect pond." Once you have this pond, then I believe that the husbandry skills are much easier to learn and perfect. Just my opinion.

If you were to build your state of the art pond, Tony, what would the specs be?
    If I had started out right in the beginning, I dont think as a sixteen year kid would have gotten much help from his parents to build the prefect pond. I sure wish my parents last name was Gates...

Prefect pond would be 30ft long x 12ft wide x 7ft deep. With unidirectional returns, 4 chamber gravity filteration and shower system. That would be my ideal pond.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori View Post
    If I had started out right in the beginning, I dont think as a sixteen year kid would have gotten much help from his parents to build the prefect pond. I sure wish my parents last name was Gates...

Prefect pond would be 30ft long x 12ft wide x 7ft deep. With unidirectional returns, 4 chamber gravity filteration and shower system. That would be my ideal pond.
    you left off "flow through water supply"?

There was a similar question over at the Shack a while back, so here's my "dream pond" from that thread.

This little idea necessitates that money be no object...

I have a fondness for the River system. My own design would incorporate that basic design into an elongated neck in the shallower section rather like an 8' wide X 3-4' deep X 20-30' long (maybe longer) channel feeding the deeper pool. In my own vision the 8' deep X 12-15' oval pool area would have several aerated bottom drains feeding a raceway settlement circuit that would run around one side of the pond toward the pump/filter house. The grated top of the raceway could be utilized for hydroponic plantings allowing the roots to act as physical fines traps along the muti-weir, multi drain equipped chambers running the entire length of the pond/stream. This circuit would feed static kaldness-moving bed kaldness, feeding low head-high volume axial flow pumps returning water to the pond via waterfall at the head of the stream, possibly including a 2 tray bakki-esque shower.
    The skimmer circuit would gravity feed a similar raceway along the opposite side of the pond/stream, likewise grated and weired to feed similar static and moving beds, with the pumps on this circuit returning water via a series of tprs and gprs along the length of the stream, which would have a slightly trough shaped bottom.
    The entire affair would be covered by a Japanese style pergola with a clear panel roof topped with Solar Panels for electrical supplementation. The sides would be equipped with retractable curtains to mimic a tea-house style appearance when closed during winter months for climate control.
    For me it would be the best of all worlds. A private personal paradise for all seasons with an environment for Koi that would promote maximum development of their potential.
    I'll be doing that right after I win the lottery big time
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast