Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Omosako Grow-out Challenge what was learned?

Omosako Grow-out Challenge what was learned?

As the judging is getting started and winners anxiously wait, I was wondering if and what salient lessons were learned by each of the participants?
    Let's even share secrets or at least what individuals feel are the crucial husbandry skills they used.
    Some of you have had some very impressive growth. I couldn’t even wager a guess as to how a fish can go from barely 6 or seven inches to 18+ inches.

For myself I think that aside from the given, that water quality needs to be excellent for optimum growth, young fish should be kept in separate quarters with fish that are similar in size. This enables you to closely monitor feeding. I've watched tosai fed in tanks by themselves and boil of water from the frenzy at feeding time is comical and impressive. I've notice in my pond, which is stocked with different size fish, that the small tend to feed off the bottom algae while the fish in the 16 to 18 inch range compete most aggressively for what I'm feeding them. At the same time the largest fish stand by waiting, moving in for their share, when the mid range fish move off to swallow.
    I'll also speculate that controlling your growing season is vital and that younger fish benefit from a full year of growth temps, early in their lives.
    This is another reason for segregating young fish.
    Finally, one year is not enough time for a grow out, but you sure can see some promising fish in that time. I just wonder what they'll look like next yr.
    Jim

One year certainly isn't long enough for a growout, but it is wonderfully educational nonetheless. The next step in the education process will be the comments from Omosako himself as he adds his judgment on the winners. His insight will come through the eyes of the breeder who knows these fish better than anyone and I'm most curious to see who wins both the "now" and the "tategoi" labels.
    I personally plan to keep ours and continue to post progress photo's over the next several years. I hope others will do the same as these fish are not only young, but as Shiro's they have several years worth of serious changes ahead of them we can all learn from.
    After the awards have been passed out I hope new threads will be started to pin down the details on each of the top fish. How they were fed, what specific water parameters and ponds were used to produce the results, what the owner saw in the beginning and their observations throughout the year, and especially what details they believe helped their fish become successful. Much to be gained as we share with each other.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

I learned that having great water quality, low stocking density and a long growing season are just 3 components. I didn’t have time to feed more than twice a day last year and didn’t have time to put up the auto feeder once I moved them. My growth of 6 ¼” is nothing to complain about but not nearly what others got.

I also learned that a yellow Shiro is not a bad thing.

I will continue posting pics and sizes of my fish.

Sansai
    1--Submerged sumi stays submerged. At least so far. Many of us who gambled on promising shadows under the shiroji have nothing much to show.

2--And on the other hand, aggressive sumi can recede very nicely. I wouldn't have selected Bill's or Larry's mostly black tosai, but look at them now. Especially how the white is solidlifying on the face of Bill's--gorgeous.

3--I don't think you can overstate the value of a larger sibling. Usually you're getting a voracious eater and that can be the bonus that carries a fish all the way to the largest sizes.

Congrats to all who participated!

My first two considerations going in to this were skin and bones, literally. High quality skin on a well conformed frame were my first and last considerations with pattern appearance and potential being sandwiched in the middle. You need all threee obviously, but without the best possible skin and bones nothing else will last long enough or grow well enough to really matter.
    We've got a few examples of how great skin and color leave you lacking, but none better than a Nissai Sanke we bred. We kept her to watch how the color would develop and mature because the skin quality was wonderful. The conformation was pathetically weak and skinny, but that isn't what I was planning to learn about from it anyway. I'm 99% sure that fish will NEVER hit 12" long. It will be cute as all get out because of the skin and colors, but forever a runt suitable for nothing but a W.G.