Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Did you go to the San diego koi Show and not attend the AKCA Seminar?

Daihonmei

Did you go to the San diego koi Show and not attend the AKCA Seminar?

Will you step up and tell us?

Take a bow.

...or will you stay in the shadows and relish the fact that you got everything but the same tired Seminar rehashes that you can get at just about any decent koi show and the Cattle feedings of the "Elite" in the Banquet TENT....and were $250 richer...BTW I ate fish tacos four times in four days in San Diego and each of those fish taco dinners were more pleasurable than any of the AKCA meals..if it weren't for the fact that i was sitting next to someone that paid just as much as i paid to sit next to them as they paid to sit next to me I doubt i would have bothered to eat the "Hotel Food." Give me some More "WAHOO'S," Sans Butt-ugly, nasty-tasting, Candy koi that are discussed for several minutes over the Public address system...But as I understand it the Seminar CoOrdinator had a handle on the Banquet and knew how valuable time was during the event and kept a rigid speaking schedule so everyone would be done before Midnight...to wit they were successful!

Standing between the vendor tents and the show tanks was the only real valued time at the "Seminar." That is where the real conversations occurred... I can imagine there is a group of the elite and their invited plebes sitting in the hotel lounges sucking down scotches they can barely tolerated as they are not single blends and discussing the subtleties of orange, black, and white.... but i ain't a plebe.
    thing is I am told those sessions where they masculinely whine about the scotch not being a single blend occur at tall the Koi shows...you just have to know who to kiss and where.

I was there for the show as I flew from VA to CA to help out when needed for the koi show so no I did not go to the seminar but many people did and most that I talked to had a good time.
    Koi-Unit
    My personal koi page Updated 7/8/07
    ZNA Potomac Koi Club

I was there, we did not attend any of the seminars, we helped out with the show.

But we still would not have attended any of them as, there was none that had any interest to us. The seminars and speakers are more for the beginner, there are a few that I would like to attend but we are not aloud to attend. such as the judges seminar would love to go to that, the wet lab would love to be apart of that but you need to be a kha. So that leaves us out of the couple we would want to attend.

It had nothing to do with money, it had to do with the actual lectures and speakers, we have heard half of them already, and the other half is way below our current knowledge level.

So what is it that offends you more Luke?
    Boring Seminars you attended to give you something to complain about or Single Malt Scotch drinkers?

FYI, There is no such thing as a "Single Blend".
    It can be a Single Malt or Blended, but it can't be both at the same time
    Blended Malts are a lot like pond grade Koi. Some may win a ribbon, but none have a shot at GC. Single Malts MAY have a shot at GC, but many resemble a $50K Kohaku with a big ol' shimmie...or two

I wasn't there so I can't comment on the seminar content. I do know I'd rather hang around with people who I can compare notes with on fish, water, etc... Nothing wrong with soaking up some good conversation among friends, so long as the Scotch isn't so bad that it becomes a distraction
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    So what is it that offends you more Luke?
    Boring Seminars you attended to give you something to complain about or Single Malt Scotch drinkers?

FYI, There is no such thing as a "Single Blend".
    It can be a Single Malt or Blended, but it can't be both at the same time
    Blended Malts are a lot like pond grade Koi. Some may win a ribbon, but none have a shot at GC. Single Malts MAY have a shot at GC, but many resemble a $50K Kohaku with a big ol' shimmie...or two

I wasn't there so I can't comment on the seminar content. I do know I'd rather hang around with people who I can compare notes with on fish, water, etc... Nothing wrong with soaking up some good conversation among friends, so long as the Scotch isn't so bad that it becomes a distraction

"FYI, There is no such thing as a "Single Blend".
    yep your right that would be an oxymoron, I guess..except you are wrong
    Scotch Whisky Types

PB and you're wrong as to me being "offended" as well, I am frustrated by the lack of the AKCA to have and hold to a mission statement which increases the pleasure of Koi keeping for all, and treats all hobbyists in such a manner that they enjoy the hobby more...not less.
    I am attempting to force the Elite "Single Blend" drinkers to think a little further outside the (match)box and get them to actually use some of the vast intellect they claim to have ( I agree with about 75% of their assessment..yes I am being generous but I am trying to curry favor).
    The Koi Hobby's Organization is NOT "all about the fish." It is all about the People...and the AKCA has not even recognised that blaring fact. They treat the hobbyists as fish.
    Will the AKCA ever treat people different than fish? Will they ever judge people differently than they judge fish? If so when?

I suppose if one distiller decides to coin an oxymoron as a marketing tool unique to their distillery it becomes universal truth Kinda like most of your torturous logic

However, in this particular case I'll tip my hat to your desire for "more bang for the buck" seminar-wise. If'n your gonna ask a stiff fee produce a stout product. Kinda like pricey Scotch all over again come to think of it

Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    "FYI, There is no such thing as a "Single Blend".
    yep your right that would be an oxymoron, I guess..except you are wrong
    Scotch Whisky Types

PB and you're wrong as to me being "offended" as well, I am frustrated by the lack of the AKCA to have and hold to a mission statement which increases the pleasure of Koi keeping for all, and treats all hobbyists in such a manner that they enjoy the hobby more...not less.
    I am attempting to force the Elite "Single Blend" drinkers to think a little further outside the (match)box and get them to actually use some of the vast intellect they claim to have ( I agree with about 75% of their assessment..yes I am being generous but I am trying to curry favor).
    The Koi Hobby's Organization is NOT "all about the fish." It is all about the People...and the AKCA has not even recognised that blaring fact. They treat the hobbyists as fish.
    Will the AKCA ever treat people different than fish? Will they ever judge people differently than they judge fish? If so when?

Daihonmei
    Luke, how about you apply to teach one of those lectures- I'd go to that one! JR

Daihonmei
    JR
    I'd go to it to.