Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: QT clean out from "maybe" khv exposure (graphic)

Daihonmei

QT clean out from "maybe" khv exposure (graphic)

well... got er done
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails QT clean out from "maybe" khv exposure (graphic)-khv-qt-before.jpg   QT clean out from "maybe" khv exposure (graphic)-khv-drained-qt.jpg   QT clean out from "maybe" khv exposure (graphic)-khv-1-tub.jpg   QT clean out from "maybe" khv exposure (graphic)-khv-second-tub-qt.jpg   QT clean out from "maybe" khv exposure (graphic)-khv-3-third-tub-qt.jpg  

Daihonmei
    27 koi in the 12 to 28 inch range... a dozen around 6 inches

Meg
    Luke, is that the "zebra" shiro you got from Kiefer? chit

was thinking of you today, it cooled off up here this afternoon, hope it did for you.

Daihonmei
    Damn meg!
    you've got a good memory..yep it developed some secondary hi on the top side of the tail tube and was a male to boot... seems as though it lost its secondary hi when it was starved in the QT.
    the fish that caught my eye were the Sundan Chagois, and the tancho showa that keifer sent at the same time as the Zebra SU.

Question

are you going to have thm tested for the khv? My dad's pond got wiped out after introducing 1 new koi. Oddly his goldfish never came ill. I'm sorry for ur loss..those are like children, I cried when my dads babies left us

Daihonmei
    angel..there is a thread on here titled Dang ol Mango

this QT Pond was flushed using water from the main pond which did test positive for KHV.

Quote Originally Posted by angelkoimd View Post
    are you going to have thm tested for the khv? My dad's pond got wiped out after introducing 1 new koi. Oddly his goldfish never came ill. I'm sorry for ur loss..those are like children, I cried when my dads babies left us
    KHV is very specific and does not make goldfish ill.
    All indications are that goldfish can be carriers, but never suffer any ill effects themselves.

Daihonmei
    The goldfish connection have NEVER been proven and is a suspicion at best and a 'the sky is falling' theory at the very worst. The reason is it has not separated out the presence of a koi carrier from coincidental exposure to goldfish.

More research needs to be done to really understand this cruel disease. And this will require time. We knew nothing about this disease 15 years ago, Today we know some basic facts and have some basic tools. The KHV program and it's current research will being reporting it's results over the next 12 months so look forward to articles in KOI USA as the research moves forward. JR

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    The goldfish connection have NEVER been proven and is a suspicion at best and a 'the sky is falling' theory at the very worst. The reason is it has not separated out the presence of a koi carrier from coincidental exposure to goldfish.

More research needs to be done to really understand this cruel disease. And this will require time. We knew nothing about this disease 15 years ago, Today we know some basic facts and have some basic tools. The KHV program and it's current research will being reporting it's results over the next 12 months so look forward to articles in KOI USA as the research moves forward. JR

Amen Brother Jasper...so much of the facts in the hobby are pure BS.