Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Put up or shut up.....

Oyagoi

Put up or shut up.....

OK, warmers and others....so the world is coming to a heated end, what are you doing other than proselytizing your belief?

Now I'm no warmer, but I am a conservationist and a steward of resources entrusted me. So I do many things.....

Gather and process used vegetable oil for use as diesel fuel. Unfortunately, new government regulations prevent me from purchasing the type diesel engines that easily convert to vegetable oil for fuel. I will go for as long as I can with my current pumps and generators using used cooking oil as fuel. It is "carbon neutral, renewable, and a recycled waste product."

Instead of the usual suburban tanks, my wife and I drive fuel efficient vehicles. I use the smallest truck I can for work, instead of the usual full sized trucks most contract workers drive. Same for both kids, which both walk to school and use the available public transportation in their respective university towns.

To my home I added insulation and a high efficiency A/C system along with a roof ridge vent and attic fan (for those nice winter days here when everybody else is freezing). I've also switched to the "Al Gore" light bulbs for the most part. I will not put them in places where they might get easily broken due to them being so toxic (mercury).

At the farm I use solar water heaters instead of electric ones for my fish holding facility.

Funny thing here.....all those things also save me money.
    Brett

Yup, we've been brainwashed into believing that new and improved things are better, yet many are not, and many are more damaging to the enviroment than their previous versions.

My truck is a gas guzzler, 10.5mpg in the city.......... But it's pretty new Hell 1970's truck got that kind of mileage I don't drive it that often as I'd reather drive my Japanesse Import car, that's more comfortable.

I use CFL lighting throughout where I can, but do I recycle them? Nope. The mercury all goes into the landfill.

We switched our HVAC out to a high efficient unit in 2009, BIG difference on the energy bill. We've had a attic fan for many years, big help as well.

Looked into making the pond 100% solar, but it's not very cost effective right now. Costs just as much as making the whole house solar.

I do what I can when it comes to costs, not the enviroment. But sadly, many of the things I do are very bad for the enviroment, it's a part of my job and there's no way around it.
    “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

My husband still drives his 1985 Honda CRX which gets about 40 mph on the highway, only a bit less in the city. He was going to get a new car a few years ago, but that was about the time the gas prices went nuts (again!) so kept it.

Doesn't have the most power but that little thing goes! (and goes and goes...) It's got about 160,000 miles on it now, all original engine. Every once in a while someone leaves a note on it and asks if he'll sell it, he won't.

I don't know why they don't bring this great little model back. It get better gas mileage than the new hybrids and I think because it uses so little gas, it probably has a smaller "carbon footprint", plus no big expensive batteries to dispose of sometime down the road.

Yep, newer isn't always better.
    Barb

Santa Clara Valley Koi & Water Garden Club

http://www.sckoi.com

Zen Nippon Airinkai Nor-Cal Chapter

http://www.znanorcal.org

Yup Barb........... When I first saw this (smart USA - pure coupe technical specs) little car on the road I was curious, but for the size, and life expectancy if you were to get into a crash........... What's the savings? Sad. Similar MPG to your hubby's car that's 25yrs old...............

Oyagoi
    Newer, more regulated by the "green government" and much less efficient and even less effective.

An '85 Honda car still going strong. Must be well cared for. Takes me about four years to get 150,000+ miles. About 10% or so of those way off road.

My no longer possible to buy diesel motors from India are indestructible hunks of cast iron efficiency copied from over 100 year old technology. While they do not meet the EPA "Tier 3" emissions ratings (too noisy, not too smoky) they are much better at using alternative fuels and about 20% more efficient than the Tier 3 motors approved for stationary use in the US.

Let me see now.....how big of a carbon footprint do Nancy Pelosi, Al Gore and say George Soros have altogether? I bet dollars to donuts they spew more carbon and other pollutants than 1000 average folks. How much less carbon going to the atmosphere now that Pelosi no longer able to fly a huge jet cross country at taxpayer expense? Boehner (sp?) promises to fly commercial.

I leave the president out for now, I want my president, like him or not, traveling in safety, comfort and style.

Yes, I'd like to add up the carbon footprints of all the liberal elite that want us to sacrifice our way of life but will not give up an iota of indulgent hedonistic pleasure their own selves in the name of reduced carbon footprints.

Can we all say together now....."Hypocrits!"

When Al Gore's carbon footprint is smaller than mine, I'll do what it takes to bring mine down even further.

For now my next project is to buy and old pickup and convert it to run on gas derived from waste wood chips. I plan to use this for short commutes and local trips.

I also plan when it is time, to replace my electric water heater at home with either an on demand gas one or a solar one.

Maybe if I up my life insurance my dw will let me have a motorcycle......

My carbon footprint keeps getting smaller and smaller while the liberal elite's get bigger and bigger.

What are others doing?

Well...this is what we are talking about. First...I never stated anything was coming to an end. But...human suffering will result from these issues. I have already mentioned increases in respiratory illnesses and cancers. But...I am ultimately a science guy...through and through. I expect research and development to improve many of these issues. The power compact bulbs are a start, and I use them. LED's are becoming more common and are more energy efficient. I have read 80 lumens per watt. Now...down the pipeline is the electrodeless plasma bulbs. Still being researched...but, 120 lumens per watt. This is the kind of thing that comes from these issues. Yes, they save money...and improve the warming issue.
    I try to always buy the most energy efficient pumps I can for my hobbies...the koi and reef tank stuff. My power heads in my reef run at 500+GPH and use less than 5watts each!!! I would like to see more energy efficiency from tank heaters...but, it is not there yet. For my house...I am looking into solar paneling on the roof. There are many good rebate programs for this, if it is affordable...I will do it.
    My house is 14yrs old and has 4 separate heating zones for gas heat. So...we can shut down the ones we are not in. So, that is good efficiency.
    As far as my car...You will not get my Dodge Charger from my cold dead hands!!! It is actually good for gas milege. Has a feature where during hwy driving it shuts off fuel to uneeded cylinders. The milege is better than expected...but, I really do not drive it that much.
    As more R&D is done...I will gladly use what is available.

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

Oyagoi
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyaht View Post
    Yup Barb........... When I first saw this (smart USA - pure coupe technical specs) little car on the road I was curious, but for the size, and life expectancy if you were to get into a crash........... What's the savings? Sad. Similar MPG to your hubby's car that's 25yrs old...............
    "Smart" car? Not in my book. Less than 40 mpg, two seater with no trunk or storage, and you get hit by a Suburban your a gonner.

The 1956 Nash Metropolitan got 45 mpg off the showroom floor, it had four doors.

When I was a kid I had a BMW Isetta 300 50's something model, one door, opens in front. About the same size as the smart car, it got over 60 mpg. Top speed of 55 mph (speed limit then) one banger 300 cc motorcycle engine, 4 speed manual transmission with the gear shift on your left. Me and a buddy bought it for $25 fixed it up and sold it for $150. Saw one on Mecums the other day, restored it sold for over $40K.

The Messerschmitt KR200 made from 1955 until 1964 had a top speed of 56 mph and got 87 mpg.

The Citroen 2-CV (Deux chevaux) with a 42 year production run (up to 1990) got 78 mpg and more of those made than any other car on Earth (Other than Little Tykes).

VW Beetle, VW diesel pickup-over 50 mpg from 25 years ago, among others. Liberal driven "improvements" have made vehicles much less efficient than their older counterparts. Good job guys, you managed to more than double greenhouse gas output in this manner.

So, many old cars got very good fuel efficiency and nobody has come up with anything comparable today.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbreeder View Post
    So, many old cars got very good fuel efficiency and nobody has come up with anything comparable today.
    Exactly my point Brett! People like poor ol' Bob believe in what they read, yet it's nothing better than what we had years ago.

CFL's are a prime example. In 2014 all incandecent lamps are to be banned, and as of today less than 2% of people recycle CFL's. There was zero mercury in the old bulbs and all CFL's contain mercury, which goes into our landfills, and sooner or later ends up in someones drinking water, and or leaches into our river contaminating our fish.

I live on a very large inland waterway, and I love to fish, especially for Stripers. Will I bring one home to eat? Only if it's skinney showing me it's migrated from the ocean up here to spawn. Other than that, nope, it's full of mercury. I caught one a few years back after being in this hobby, and the striper was full of ulcers. Haven't fished for them since

Oyagoi
    Quote Originally Posted by Brutuscz View Post
    Well...this is what we are talking about. First...I never stated anything was coming to an end. But...human suffering will result from these issues. I have already mentioned increases in respiratory illnesses and cancers. But...I am ultimately a science guy...through and through. I expect research and development to improve many of these issues. The power compact bulbs are a start, and I use them. LED's are becoming more common and are more energy efficient. I have read 80 lumens per watt. Now...down the pipeline is the electrodeless plasma bulbs. Still being researched...but, 120 lumens per watt. This is the kind of thing that comes from these issues. Yes, they save money...and improve the warming issue.
    I try to always buy the most energy efficient pumps I can for my hobbies...the koi and reef tank stuff. My power heads in my reef run at 500+GPH and use less than 5watts each!!! I would like to see more energy efficiency from tank heaters...but, it is not there yet. For my house...I am looking into solar paneling on the roof. There are many good rebate programs for this, if it is affordable...I will do it.
    My house is 14yrs old and has 4 separate heating zones for gas heat. So...we can shut down the ones we are not in. So, that is good efficiency.
    As far as my car...You will not get my Dodge Charger from my cold dead hands!!! It is actually good for gas milege. Has a feature where during hwy driving it shuts off fuel to uneeded cylinders. The milege is better than expected...but, I really do not drive it that much.
    As more R&D is done...I will gladly use what is available.
    A good start, better than none. But, you won't get anymore efficiency out of an electric heater! They are darn near 100% efficient, its easy to be efficient with heaters, converting energy to heat is very efficient. It is usually the waste heat that makes electric devices like light bulbs and electric motors inefficient.

I got almost no heat in my home, really don't need it most of the time. You will find a thick blanket on every chair and on the couch to wrap up in as we keep the house around 60 degrees in winter. If it gets really cold you can tuck the weenie dog in under the blanket for a space heater.

In summer I only A/C the bedroom at night. We've a window unit in the bedroom and leave the central unit off at night, and keep the house around 80 in summer.

And yet, even yourself makes it clear you do not want to give up much in the name of global warming.

Sorry, short correction. It got 51 mph on the highway.

Why does that "smart car" have no storage? The crx can hold two bikes in the back, and have room for a cooler too.

Banning incandescent bulbs? For mercury laden ones? Wow, the mind boggles.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast