Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: The King's Speech

Oyagoi

The King's Speech

Rarely have I been other than alone on New Year's Eve. My wife usually works and my grown daughters have their own interests and parties to pursue. I fall out on the couch around 10:30 and wake up at midnight to go to bed. Not that I don't have a place or two to go, just don;t like being on the road late on that night.

Last night was different. My wife was home, but the kids were off to Dallas (one lives there, the other went to party with her sister and friends). We had lamb chops on the grill and went off to the movies. I took a hint from one of JR's posts that this might be a good choice.

It has been a very long time since I've seen such a well made and acted film.
    A film that stands on its acting and based in historical facts. Everybody has gone on and on about "Avatar" being the best movie ever. This film blows the cartoon "Avatar" away. I enjoyed "Avatar" and was amazed at the special effects. But the film stood on its effects alone and the political commentary "between the lines" was enough to make me want to puke.

So arising this morning I decided to do a bit of research. Surprisingly (really not so) this film was made WITHOUT involvement of anybody or anything connected to Hollywood. No wonder, I mused to myself, that this was such a great work. It did not have the "impediment" of being controlled by the left wing Hollywood bunch who would have had to "rewrite history" to make it palatable to them. In actuality, this film is not politicized at all by either side or the middle. It is historical in context and remains so, even under the scrutiny of my research after the fact.

Cost $20 for my wife and I, plus another $15 for two sodas and a popcorn, and for the first time in a long time I got my money's worth at the movies.

If you are interested in history, the nuances interpersonal relationships, great film making, actors and acting, a true story of triumph in the face of adversity, or just wish to be entertained for a couple of hours, by all means GO SEE THIS FILM.

Thanks to JR for giving the hint this might be a good investment in time.

Here's to a HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR for everybody.

Brett
    Brett

Cost $20 for my wife and I, plus another $15 for two sodas and a popcorn, and for the first time in a long time I got my money's worth at the movies.

If you are interested in history, the nuances interpersonal relationships, great film making, actors and acting, a true story of triumph in the face of adversity, or just wish to be entertained for a couple of hours, by all means GO SEE THIS FILM.

Thanks Brett ,just checked and we are going to see it next week. Certainly has good reviews. Our cost as Seniours is $20 but no way I am spending money on Soda or popcorn. I will take a water with me purchased 6 cases when on sale and an apple direct from apple orchard.
    I thought it over carefully and going to see it . Usually I get 6 videos from library free of charge, at the same time I will pick up my free meds and may be do some banking. I noticed that when the bank manager sees me he quicly hides his Tim Hortons coffe as the last time I asked him to calculate how much it would cost for a coffe a day for 35 years compounded at 5% quartely. I came to the decision while feeding my fish purchased direct from breeder with fish food imported by me from manufacturer. The greenhouse being heated by wood that I cut myself.
    I do however treat myself purchased a 20ft pontoon boat direct from manufacturer and a 15 and 50hp 4stroke motors at dealers cost as well as 2 downriggers. I have to wait till Feb for my GPS fish finder as that is a show demonstrator at 1/3 the cost. I did have to put up with a nickname at work "One %" but only to the age of 53 and retired allowing me to make more money than working.
    Regards
    Eugene

Daihonmei
    So you're a fiscal conservative, then?

Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    So you're a fiscal conservative, then?
    JR you got me thinking, it is difficult for one to annelise oneself. May be it has been my insecurity through my during and after the war experiences
    as a child. The last nightmare I had a few years ago I was shouting " We will eat today" A dream that seemed very real over a event that happened sixty years years ago.
    Regards
    Eugene

Oyagoi
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugeneg View Post

Thanks Brett ,just checked and we are going to see it next week. Certainly has good reviews. Our cost as Seniours is $20 but no way I am spending money on Soda or popcorn. I will take a water with me purchased 6 cases when on sale and an apple direct from apple orchard.
    I thought it over carefully and going to see it . Usually I get 6 videos from library free of charge, at the same time I will pick up my free meds and may be do some banking. I noticed that when the bank manager sees me he quicly hides his Tim Hortons coffe as the last time I asked him to calculate how much it would cost for a coffe a day for 35 years compounded at 5% quartely. I came to the decision while feeding my fish purchased direct from breeder with fish food imported by me from manufacturer. The greenhouse being heated by wood that I cut myself.
    I do however treat myself purchased a 20ft pontoon boat direct from manufacturer and a 15 and 50hp 4stroke motors at dealers cost as well as 2 downriggers. I have to wait till Feb for my GPS fish finder as that is a show demonstrator at 1/3 the cost. I did have to put up with a nickname at work "One %" but only to the age of 53 and retired allowing me to make more money than working.
    Regards
    Eugene
    Most of the time if we go to the movies, my wife "sneaks in" a couple of boxes of "Hot Tamales" (cinnamon candy) and water bottles.

You and your wife will thoroughly enjoy the flick, which is even more significant historically to Canadians, but that history affected all of us, one of the attractions I had to the movie.

I do love pontoon boats for fishing. Have six of them myself (at my fishing club). Not so big, 15 and 16 footers. My lakes are not big, up to 60 acres, so the boats have electric motors. Also, the electric power is cleaner than gas, especially if 2 stroke. I charge the batteries with solar and/or wind generators. Not so much to "reduce my carbon footprint" but because it is a lot cheaper to make your power where you need it (especially 12 VDC) than to buy phase converters, transformers, and copper wire. Same way I aerate my tilapia greenhouse, with a wind powered, direct drive air compressor (blower).

Buy my fish food from the mill (not from a feed store), and pretty much raise all my bass and bass forage in hatchery ponds rather than buy them. I have a greenhouse to overwinter 1000 pounds of tilapia which I raise myself. The greenhouse cost about $4000 to build and $0 to operate. Spring tilapia cost about $13/pound.

Got no GPS, though and would like to have one for my personal fishing boat. A 16 foot aluminum, shallow runner with an old 4 cyl Merc racing motor (lightweight 2 stroke that is powerful but smoky and swills gas). You could probably go three times as far in your boat, but only half as fast on the same fuel (minus the costly 2 stroke racing oil). Bought the boat halfsies with my buddy, used, for less than $3K. Same boat new (with a regular 4 stroke outboard) is about $18K (and a lot slower) so I can afford to buy some gas.

Got myself in a medical study so my meds are also free.

But I do not see myself retiring unless I get to where I don't like working, which right now I still love.

Would really like to hear your thoughts on the film after you see it.

I've been curious about this one too so no doubt we'll be giving it a look.
    Movies that love history above hype are rare, and that makes them all that much better.

I'll be interested in Eugene's reaction and review as well. With a personal life history that has been so directly impacted by it all it adds unique layers of perspective few would share.