Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Sisters

Sisters

I was asked by those in attendance at Sakura-con in Seattle, (where I was giving a bonsai demonstration), why I had opted for the pictured design.
    I could have made the cascade dramatically more downward and eliminated the second branch.
    But I quess the decades of being around japanese culture has finally helped my thinking and explainations.
    I see this semi-cascade as two sisters. The older one and her younger sibling. Naturally the younger one looks up to the oldest and mimics just about everything she does. So the movement of both with undulations, seems to be a natural occurance. So the youngest may be in the back but cannot be denied
    in it's efforts to mirror the image of the eldest.

I styled and repotted this shimpaku Juniper for Dan ( the Powerman) who posts here. It will soon be rightfully returned to it's residence, sitting along side the Koi pond
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sisters-img_2332.jpg  
    Dick Benbow

I love the way you explained it Dick. Bringing a philosophy of expression into the picture adds a great deal of apprciation for what "is" and anticipation for what the future may hold.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by dick benbow View Post
    I was asked by those in attendance at Sakura-con in Seattle, (where I was giving a bonsai demonstration), why I had opted for the pictured design.
    I could have made the cascade dramatically more downward and eliminated the second branch.
    But I quess the decades of being around japanese culture has finally helped my thinking and explainations.
    I see this semi-cascade as two sisters. The older one and her younger sibling. Naturally the younger one looks up to the oldest and mimics just about everything she does. So the movement of both with undulations, seems to be a natural occurance. So the youngest may be in the back but cannot be denied
    in it's efforts to mirror the image of the eldest.

I styled and repotted this shimpaku Juniper for Dan ( the Powerman) who posts here. It will soon be rightfully returned to it's residence, sitting along side the Koi pond

Hi Dick! Cool bonsai! I like it!!! I am not sure I see the "two sisters" in it though, but no matter, it looks fine. Maybe "two snakes", or ""two dragons"? . I kinda like that you kept the long branches and not chopped them off to a stump like most bonsai demo would have done.
    It is nice to wake up on a Sunday morning and see a nice new bonsai to think about.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Si

Very nice. ...Need a rock.

appreciate all your thoughts. Just like with Koi when you purchase a tosai and raise them up to become a beautiful representative of their color variety, it's very satisfying to select a tree with movement that has it 's appeal and then
    diligently work over the years to improve and refine it.

Tosai
    Very beautiful.
    My first thought when I looked at it was 1 girl teaching the other hand posture of traditional dancing. The movement it creates is amazing! Elegant, artistic, flowing and expressive.
    The most satisfying feature is that they are not quite in sync as you would expect. Imperfection tells its own story.

Thank you.

Nice, Dick, always loved this style as it always made me visualize this old gnarly tree clinging to life on the edge of a windswept cliff overlooking the ocean. Much like our own NW pacific coast