Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are you doing to undo white privilege?

What are you doing to undo white privilege?

[URL="http://www.stltoday.com/news/opinion/columns/george-will/article_dbeeed9d-d206-55ca-a7b5-edcff2b1d636.html"]

George Will: Propaganda as pedagogy

The real vocation of some people entrusted with delivering primary and secondary education is to validate this proposition: The three R’s — formerly reading, ’riting and’rithmetic — now are racism, reproduction and recycling. Especially racism. Consider Wisconsin’s Department of Public Instruction. It evidently considers “instruction” synonymous with “propaganda,” which in the patois of progressivism is called “consciousness-raising.”
    Wisconsin’s DPI, in collaboration with the Orwellian-named federal program VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America; the “volunteers” are paid), urged white students to wear white wristbands “as a reminder about your privilege, and as a personal commitment to explain why you wear the wristband.” A flyer that was on the DPI website and distributed at a DPI-VISTA training class urged whites to “put a note on your mirror or computer screen as a reminder to think about privilege,” to “make a daily list of the ways privilege played out” and to conduct an “internal dialogue” asking questions such as “How do I make myself comfortable with privilege?” and “What am I doing today to undo my privilege?”
    After criticism erupted, the DPI removed the flyer from its website and posted a dishonest statement claiming that the wristbands were a hoax perpetrated by conservatives. But, again, the flyer DPI posted explicitly advocated the wristbands. And Wisconsin’s taxpayer-funded indoctrination continues, funded by more than Wisconsin taxpayers.
    In Delavan-Darien High School’s “American Diversity” curriculum, students were urged to verify white privilege by visiting a Wal-Mart toy section and counting the white and black dolls. After objections, the school district is reconsidering this curriculum.
    Such distractions from the study of calculus and literature are encouraged by CREATE Wisconsin (the acronym stands for Culturally Responsive Education for All: Training and Enhancement), which is funded with federal tax dollars from IDEA, the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. The disability being rectified here is, presumably, the handicap of insufficient guilt — arising from false consciousness — about white privilege.
    Today the school systems in 20 states employ more non-teachers than teachers. The Friedman Foundation for Educational Choice reports that between 1950 and 2009, while the number of K-12 students increased 96 percent, full-time equivalent school employees increased 386 percent. The number of teachers increased 252 percent, but the number of bureaucrats — including consciousness-raising sensitivity enforcers and other non-teachers — increased 702 percent. The report says states could have saved more than $24 billion annually if non-teaching staff had grown only as fast as student enrollment. And Americans wonder why their generous K-12 financing (higher per pupil than all but three of the 34 Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development nations) has done so little to improve reading, math and science scores.
    Higher education, from which much of such diversity and sensitivity nonsense trickles down, cries poverty while spending lavishly on administrative overhead irrelevant to its teaching and research missions. The Manhattan Institute’s Heather Mac Donald notes that in 2011, while the University of California at San Diego was pruning academic offerings, it created a “vice chancellor for equity, diversity and inclusion” to augment a diversity apparatus that included an assistant vice chancellor for diversity; faculty advisers, staff, graduate and undergraduate diversity coordinators and liaisons; a director of development for diversity initiatives; the Committee on Gender Identity and Sexual Orientation Issues; the Diversity Council; the Campus Council on Climate, Culture and Inclusion; and much more. Perhaps tens of millions could be diverted from progressive gestures to academic purposes by abolishing on every American campus every administrative position whose title contains the words “diversity,” “equity,” “race,” “ethnicity,” “sustainability,” “green,” “gender,” “inclusion,” “identity,” “interconnectivity,” “globalization,” “climate,” “campus climate,” “cross-cultural” or “multiculturalism.”
    No corner of the country is immune to propaganda pretending to be pedagogy. Lincoln Brown of KVEL Radio in Vernal, Utah, says one student from the University of Utah showed him required reading that told students to “list ways your family may have colluded with or benefited from the exploitation of African-Americans.” Another reading was titled “White Privilege — Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack.”
    Twenty-five years ago, President Reagan, paraphrasing Education Secretary William Bennett, said: “If you serve a child a rotten hamburger in America, federal, state and local agencies will investigate you, summon you, close you down, whatever. But if you provide a child with a rotten education, nothing happens, except that you’re liable to be given more money to do it with.” But only until the soaring tuitions and taxes that fund this featherbedding for administrators of political correctness create a critical mass of parental and taxpayer disgust.
    Copyright the Washington Post

Tategoi
    I don't see what the big deal is -- it's Wisconsin -- everybody there is already white.

Plus, haven't they already suffered enough? I mean....they have to live in.......Wisconsin.....

Reminds me of South Park's "Sarcastiball" episode.

Can someone please tell me where to go to sign up for my white privilege benefits. I somehow ended up missing out on mine and had to work hard for everything I have as an unfortunate consequence.

This actually made me think, and it is a tough thing to fix. I work in a minority area. Bridgeport, Ct actually has the highest taxes in the entire nation...and the services are terrible. Literally, the highest taxes, according to CNN. But, the schools are awful. They cannot even clear the snow in a timely manner!! The dropout rate is very high...and not many go to college. So, it is a lousy situation...They pay lots...and get very little in return. I leave work, go to my mostly white neighborhood...and I know I am priveleged. My area is safer, has better schools and superior services. So, I see the difference on a daily basis and it is quite dramatic.
    On the other hand...I have also lost two jobs to racial bias. One case I was told quite bluntly, by a doctor who I respect and admire...do not even bother applying for the job, it is going to a black or hispanic female. He was honest...and it was exactly what happened. I another case, I was competing for a position. I was told by another doctor..the people in charge are pieces of garbage, and you are not really competing. It is going to a female, and a black male. He said that was what was needed that year..and it was a quota. I did not believe him...thought he was making it up. Guess who it went too? Sure was not the white male!!
    So, I know for a fact, there is the case of white privelege...as I see it regularly. But, how do you fix it? I think trying to improve education is the only way. People will complain about the cost...but, a level playing field is the ultimate goal in all cases. Irrespective of race and gender.

I will give you one other example I found shocking. My two college roomates were black, and hispanic. We would go to the mall, or any store. They would be followed by security all the time. They used to joke about it...and I never thought it was real. After years of living with my friends...it was VERY real. I was actually embarassed to see it. It must have been humiliating for them...even though they joked about it. Right now, One of them is a respected doctor and head of his dept at a hospital in NY. The other is a pharmacist....both professionals. Really a crazy thing to see...never would have believed it had I not seen it with my own eyes. What was funny was...I had a white roomate who would shoplift all the damn time. I never wanted to go to a store with him. These two guys are minorities...and honest, great, hardworking people...and they are the ones followed by security. Don't tell me there is no white privelege...there certainly is. It is just a tough issue to fix.

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutuscz View Post
    Don't tell me there is no white privelege...there certainly is. It is just a tough issue to fix.
    The only white kids that are going to believe that BS are the children of the wealthy elite with their heads full of mush. Wealth buys you privilege not skin color. Do you honestly think some white kid from a poor family has some sort of advantage over the children of wealthy black people? You're still living in the 50's and early 60's. Things are much different today.

Now read how crazy things are getting: City of Phoenix Recruiting Minority Lifeguards Even if They Can’t Swim - By Andrew Johnson - The Corner - National Review Online

City of Phoenix Recruiting Minority Lifeguards Even if They Can’t Swim
    By Andrew Johnson

In an effort to increase diversity among its lifeguards, Phoenix, Ariz., is launchingan effort to hire more African Americans and Latinos for the positions — even if the candidates aren’t strong swimmers. “We will work with you in your swimming abilities,” said a department official at a recruiting event at a local high school.
    “The kids in the pool are all either Hispanic or black or whatever, and every lifeguard is white, and we don’t like that,” said another official, who cited a language barrier as one of the city’s concerns. The city’s aquatics department also hopes that hiring minority lifeguards will encourage more kids to learn how to swim.
    Over the past two years, Phoenix has raised $15,000 in scholarships for lifeguard-certification courses for minority candidates.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyfish View Post
    The only white kids that are going to believe that BS are the children of the wealthy elite with their heads full of mush. Wealth buys you privilege not skin color. Do you honestly think some white kid from a poor family has some sort of advantage over the children of wealthy black people? You're still living in the 50's and early 60's. Things are much different today.

Now read how crazy things are getting: City of Phoenix Recruiting Minority Lifeguards Even if They Can’t Swim - By Andrew Johnson - The Corner - National Review Online

City of Phoenix Recruiting Minority Lifeguards Even if They Can’t Swim
    By Andrew Johnson

In an effort to increase diversity among its lifeguards, Phoenix, Ariz., is launchingan effort to hire more African Americans and Latinos for the positions — even if the candidates aren’t strong swimmers. “We will work with you in your swimming abilities,” said a department official at a recruiting event at a local high school.
    “The kids in the pool are all either Hispanic or black or whatever, and every lifeguard is white, and we don’t like that,” said another official, who cited a language barrier as one of the city’s concerns. The city’s aquatics department also hopes that hiring minority lifeguards will encourage more kids to learn how to swim.
    Over the past two years, Phoenix has raised $15,000 in scholarships for lifeguard-certification courses for minority candidates.
    Dude...really?? Are you trying to compare the kids from Will Smith to a poor white kid from a trailer park?? I think you are missing the discussion by a mile!! Again...clueless!!

Dude...really?? Are you trying to compare the kids from Will Smith to a poor white kid from a trailer park?? I think you are missing the discussion by a mile!! Again...clueless!!
    You're the one who is clueless as usual. There are more white children living in poverty than any other group. Try explaining white privilege to them.

Poverty by the Numbers
    By Race, White Children Make Up the Biggest Percentage of America’s Poor

DOWNLOAD PDF | READ FACT SHEET | PRINT | EMAIL
    New York City — A fact sheet released today by the National Center for Children in Poverty (NCCP) shows that, contrary to some common stereotypes about America’s poor, at least one-third of the 13 million children living in poverty are white.
    “Poverty affects children of all colors, contrary to stereotypes. The notion held by many Americans that poverty is not a white problem is simply false,” says Jane Knitzer, EdD, director of NCCP, a research center at Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health. “The sooner all Americans realize these facts about poverty, the better chance we have of eradicating it.”
    The NCCP fact sheet shows that among America’s poor children, 4.2 million are white, 4 million are Latino, 3.6 million are African American, 400,000 are Asian, and 200,000 are American Indian.

This actually made me think, and it is a tough thing to fix.
    Yes, getting you to think is tough to fix...

Quote Originally Posted by Appliance Guy View Post
    Yes, getting you to think is tough to fix...
    I am one of the few here who actually does think. These guys support parties that make no policy in this country...nothing but a cowardly stance. I am sure you are in the same boat of geniuses!!! Let me guess, a tea-bagger, liburtard or conservatard?? Makes no difference...useless bunch of people!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast