Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: ooh-what-a -goose-I am

ooh-what-a -goose-I am

I can't believe what I just did....grabbed the hose at the end of a hot day and went out and watered my bonsai. If I didn't kill the first tree I watered, I'll be one lucky guy.

The heat had built up in the hose to almost be scalding. Even in my lessons for beginners, I warn them to run the hose first and don't tart immediately watering. Sheesh!

so just a reminder for all, who know better but are rushed for a tight schedule and not thinking. same warning goes for landscape trees and bushes, flower and vegetable garden.
    Dick Benbow

Well I killed off some pre-bonsai and in-training bonsai this year. I have a spine injury that requires surgery that won't happen for several more weeks. Been laid up and can't prune or manage all my trees. On top of that, my sprinkler controller is flaking out on me and will sometimes work and sometimes not work. So, I lost 10 BP saplings and quite a few yamadori junipers that won't make the transplant. Quince, junipers, maples and cherry blossoms are kickin though.....

So I'm right beside ya Coach....

sure wished we lived closer! One of my stone friends in cali has been struggling with a bad back. Hopefylly yours can be fixed. Bonsai like Koi, as a hobby....it seems you have to kill a few before you think you've learned. all the best!

Tim, What is happening with your back?

Guys, If someone wantwd to start bonsai what would be the first steps?

Like so many other hobbies, it helps to have a mentor to learn from. So many different species, with different learned practices for care. I Imagne some could learn from books, but I've always found I do better with being taught. One of my joys, is helping folks learn. I think if i had to pick one kind of tree to work with as pretty long suffering with beginners, it would be a chinese juniper. They sure do look nice on display along the pond.