Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Gedrose Pond

Jumbo

Gedrose Pond

I have started a new small pond for a customer in a Power Chair. He wants to enlarge his small goldfish pond and do away with the goldfish and get 2 or 3 Koi. Everything has to be accessible from the deck. This will be a liner pond, about 10 by 12 and as deep as we can go. Basic simple filtration as money is an issue.

Yesterday we pumped out the water and pulled the liner. Then enlarged the pond to the finish size. I bedded the skimmer, not the best location flow wise but once again accessible from the deck.
    Set the Sand/Gravel filter in place and ran the outlet under the deck to the new waterfall spillway. When finished we will add additional decking to hide the spill way.

Today we will continue to dig deeper, move the elec. outlet, and maybe get the BD piped.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gedrose Pond-2.jpg   Gedrose Pond-3.jpg   Gedrose Pond-5.jpg   Gedrose Pond-6.jpg   Gedrose Pond-7.jpg  

Gedrose Pond-8.jpg   Gedrose Pond-9.jpg  

Jumbo
    I moved the electrical outlet today, 1st trip under the deck.
    Installed the line that will feed the pump from the BD, 2nd trip under the deck.
    Finished the rest of the piping and set the pump in place. It's setting on a concrete paver. I made a cedar box to go around it with a cedar lid. Tomorrow when I fill the sand/gravel filter I'll also put pea gravel in the bottom of the pump box. I hid the BD and Skimmer valves under the steps, ought of sight. Once the flow is adjusted they should not have to be messed with again. But are easy to reach if needed.
    Digging is getting really hard. Just dense hard soil. We only got down another foot. Tomorrow we bring out the jack hammer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gedrose Pond-11.jpg   Gedrose Pond-12.jpg   Gedrose Pond-14.jpg  

Jumbo
    It was a very hard day yesterday. 10 hours of pick, shovel, and jack hammer and we just bairley got to 4 feet at the sides and 4 1/2 feet at the BD. I didn't post last night because I was just to tired.
    Plywood forms are installed, BD bedded. But I forgot my camera.
    Today I have to finish bottom contour and smoothing. Then liner.
    Also have to pour concrete collar

Jumbo
    It's done, well almost. I had to order the matching Trex decking that will extend the deck and cover the waterfall. But outside of that, here's the finishes pond. 4 1/2 feet deep, just shy of 3,000 gallons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gedrose Pond-21.jpg   Gedrose Pond-22.jpg   Gedrose Pond-23.jpg   Gedrose Pond-25.jpg  

Tosai
    Looks great. How does your customer like it?

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Otter View Post
    Looks great. How does your customer like it?
    They love it.

Jumbo
    I installed the finish decking yesterday. I'm not happy with it. I wished it matched better. It's the same as what was 1st used but as you can see the old decking has really weathered.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gedrose Pond-27.jpg