Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: vortex chambers

Tosai

vortex chambers

I would like to try and build a vortex filter, the building part is easy i have a lot of the supplies, but knowing the speed of the water is the tuff part. Is there a equation and how to understand what flowrate you should use depending on the size of the filter. I see some filters that are 2000 gph and some 4000gph but the size are about the same. I know if the speed is too quick not much will settle. thanks

MCA
    One thing to consider about a simple vortex....the more negative bouyancy matter has...the greater chance it will fall out in an SC. But neutral or positive bouyancy matter will not settle out in an SC. That is why something like a sieve can do much better. It does not depend on the specific gravity or bouyancy of the matter....it only depends on particle size. If you do go with an SC, consider adding a VMS, static K1 or something more to increase effectiveness.

Tosai
    could you explain the static and k1, is their a diagram anywhere i could look at for those. I am not familiar with them. thanks

MCA
    The notion of static K1 is that they provide an extra amount of physical solids capture...compared to just a simple chamber with an exit port. Also the K1 in the static chamber should develop a good bacteria colony over time and help with bioconversion tasks.

The nice thing about a static chamber is that that when it is time to clean it...send in some air to "boil" the media and then drain the chamber. You should not have to get your hands wet.

When the Nexus first came onto the market years ago, the entry level mechanical stage was a blue foam sleeve. It worked great...clogged in a heartbeat and was impossible to clean. The high dolllar mechancal staage was the Answer that uses a water pump to backwash a stainless screen. The Answer was discontinued...mine still work just fine. The replacement for the Answer was EAzy were you have a column of static K1 as the main mechanical stage. That is followed by the outter fluid K1 bed. And last....the exit port chamber which has around 50L of additional static K1.

The Link below is a great DIY project by a great DIYer.

New Static And Fluid Kaldnes Filter (diy) - KoiShack

You can also look around the EA site to seem more about the EAzy portion of the Nexus filter sytems. You can also read about their Cetus seive product.

http://www.evolutionaqua.com/acatalo...y_200_300.html
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.