Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: aboveground pond help

Tosai

Question aboveground pond help

hello my name is nick, i am going to build another pond this weekend and was in the need of some help. i already have a 7x6x3 cinderblock above ground pond. i am wondering what materials are needed and also how to keep the sides from bowing and collapsing. I am planning on using wood and use this pond to grow yearlings into 10 inch koi then transfer them into my neighbors pond which is 15x12x5 or a little wider that is huge and empty with one 15" chagoi i raised from 1". i would like input on different ideas and plans to see what fits my budget and space also i would like the pond to also be about the same size 7x6x4 and completely aboveground i would like to build a monster like my neighbor but the stupid landlord doesnt want me to rip up the backyard. thank you also i understand that this is small but it is all the space i have right now.

Tosai
    If you're renting, you might want to consider a round, plywood and cable pond. Besides being inexpensive and quick to build, it's fairly light and stores flat, hence it would be easy to take with you when you move. If you can build the pond of your dreams at the next house, the cable pond would make a good quarantine or hospital pond.
    Wood-framed Quarantine Tank

Tosai
    i dont have the space for a circle pond. another person told me to us interlocking blocks i was wondering where the best place to buy these and which is the right size block to use.

Tosai
    I've never built one of those, so I can't advise you on the size. Do you mean interlocking foam blocks to make a form to pour concrete into, or pre-cast concrete blocks? The latter can probably be found at the local building supply.

Tosai
    the precast ones, i went ahead and went to home-depot and the interlocking blocks are $4 a block x 90-95 blocks to be safe a little out of my range so i looked at cinderblocks they are 95 cents a little better. a buddy of mine told me to dig a 1'6" hole run a center drain fill it with 6" of sand covering the pipe to the drain. place a peice of rebar every other block then place the first layer of block fill with quickcrete let harden then lay the second layer. i plan on going 7x6x3 and a foot down does anybody see a problem with this design let me know i dont feel like coming home with a busted pond. and of course i am going to use a liner. thank you