Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY bioball/milk crate Bakki

Banned

DIY bioball/milk crate Bakki

Hi, I have been lurking and making foil hats.

I need help please. I have to remove the top two rows from the bottom two rows on the second chamber of my pond. The blocks are cemented together. Do I drill in between the blocks to weaken the mortar? Chisel? I don't want to take a sledge hammer to it. The bottom two blocks will need hold my DIY bio ball bakki shower. Long story this pond is 18 years old and I build it.

Also What issues will I have using untreated pine in contact with the water? I have read it is ok. It will be the same pine that I used for the frame to cover my pond past winter. It stayed moist from the humidity and still looks great. I am aware that it will rot and I will have to keep an eye on it.
    I checked into aluminum L channel. I don't feel like messing with cutting and welding $$. I need to have a new pond build but now I will have to get by with the one I have.
    If does not make sense let me know I am enclosing pictures to help describe. Thanks, Lori

That is almost the same set up I have during the winter, except I use 24"x48" hay bails along the side to insulate the ground and outer walls.

I would could go down to Home Depot or Lowes and get a 7 1/8" concrete abrasive wheel to go onto your circular saw. They cut concrete dry, you'll only get one or two uses out of the abrasive wheel for your $3 investment. It will cut either the joint of block whatever is convenient for you.

DeWalt DW3521 7" x 1/8" Abrasive Circular Saw Blade for Cutting Concrete and Masonry.

By the way, you need to paint your garage!

Banned

Put it on the list.

Storage shed. I have been nagging him for years. Looks like I will get stuck doing that too.

Thanks, I will be busy tomorrow. Lori

Banned

Thanks, Motown

That is almost the same set up I have during the winter, except I use 24"x48" hay bails along the side to insulate the ground and outer walls.

It worked real well. I was at 60* most of the winter with a couple dips to 52* I had to slap it together the best I could wearing a couple of broken ribs.
    Did you build a frame? I used two layers of plastic one under the frame and the other on top of the frame to help insulate.

The photo is last years "07" model. Had to use a space heater. $$. I grew orchids over winter. Lori

Banned

Exclamation Cutting through rebar?

YouTube - Sawcutting concrete wall

Oh crap!! Cutting through re-bar?

Banned

Lightbulb Never mind.

Sorry. I can use my sawzall and a long metal cutting blade. I will cut through the block with the cutting disc's and slide the sawzall blade in the cut to cut the re-bar. Wish me luck! Off to Lowe's.

UAN (Up all Night),

I use straw bails around the outside, and two layer of 6mil plastic very similar to what you have. I could never dream of keeping the pond as warm as you keep it during the winter. I add supplemental heat until Dec 15th, then I turn back the heat over then end of the month of December. January and February are no heat months, then i supplement with heat again in March. It's not the best solution, but it saves plenty of money.

Due to the high cost of heat, most of the ponders around here have 3ft deep ponds, and lose their fish every other year. I rarely lose a fish this way, but you need to keep a keen eye on them until the filters cycle back up again.

Motown

Banned

Plan B, Motown, anyone?

This sucks.
    I am 17 years older, weaker and slower than when I built the stupid thing.

First photo- is what I am trying to do.
    Second photo- This took an hour. The saw kept kicking and stopping. My saw is only 2.5HP. Is it not powerful enough.
    Third photo- Why is the mortar blue?

UAL,

How are you making out? Everything moves a little slower as we get older, at least I don't get hurt as much as I did when I rushing around. I can't rush, I'm too busy resting!

I'm not sure about the blue mortar, I'll ask my concrete expert first thing in the morning.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by UP ALL NIGHT!! View Post
    This sucks.
    I am 17 years older, weaker and slower than when I built the stupid thing.

First photo- is what I am trying to do.
    Second photo- This took an hour. The saw kept kicking and stopping. My saw is only 2.5HP. Is it not powerful enough.
    Third photo- Why is the mortar blue?

I believe that blue color in concrete is caused when the concrete cures in a permanently wet environment, and is supposed to be stronger than standard cured concrete. I may be wrong though. This is just what I was told once.

Zac

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast