Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: filter system query

Tosai

filter system query

Am hoping to get an answer on this as I retro my existing pond.

Pond is on a gentle slope of about 15 degrees. I know I have to put my external pump at the lower side of the pond below water level to get it to push up. I can easily accomplish this by digging a pump pit.

My question is, should i put the rest of the equipment (pressurized filter and settlement chamber) at the top of the slope (would be fully above ground under my deck that is approx 6 feet away from the pond and around 15 feet away from the pump)? Or should I put the rest of the equipment at the lower end of the pond, basically right next to the pump?

Does it matter if I put the equip up a the top of the slope or down at the bottom of the slope? I guess I'm wondering what's best for the external pump.

Advice please!

looking at your other thread you recently started ...

First thing, I suggest you do some more reading on the construction threads to understand a bit more about filtration.

Your SC that you're planning will need to gravity flow to be effective ... so it needs to largely be below pond level with the top of your basin just above your water level. I see your manifold taking both BD's and your skimmer into a single SC. You have BD's at different levels since you have an upper and lower pond, SC placement [edit: and flow regulation] is going to be challenging for you, even with your ball valve manifold

From there you intend to pump through a pressurized unit ... the pressurized unit could go wherever you want it to, as it's pressurized and post pump. The thing to think through and study is the head that will be created by the pressurized unit ... the flow you need through it, etc.

However, your current plan is a little bit funky and I suggest before you go forward you try and learn some more, you'll be happier.

One way you could start thinking about your setup: if I understand, your upper pond flows into your lower pond ... you might be better off using TPR's or educators / venturis, etc. in the upper pond to sweep debris over your falls into the lower pond and have a single bottom drain and skimmer on the lower pond. Take your BD into your SC, then to your bio barrel you intend to build, then into your upper pond. A second circuit would be your skimmer, then perhaps to your pressurized filter, then to the "sweepers" in your upper pond to help you push debris down below.

Other alternative is two separate circuits for upper and lower, but again, a bigger challenge than I think you're ready for just yet. BUT, with some more research, I'm sure you can learn a ton and get it all right!!!!!!

Get reading!!

Quote Originally Posted by lfreem View Post
    Am hoping to get an answer on this as I retro my existing pond.

Pond is on a gentle slope of about 15 degrees. I know I have to put my external pump at the lower side of the pond below water level to get it to push up. I can easily accomplish this by digging a pump pit.

My question is, should i put the rest of the equipment (pressurized filter and settlement chamber) at the top of the slope (would be fully above ground under my deck that is approx 6 feet away from the pond and around 15 feet away from the pump)? Or should I put the rest of the equipment at the lower end of the pond, basically right next to the pump?

Does it matter if I put the equip up a the top of the slope or down at the bottom of the slope? I guess I'm wondering what's best for the external pump.

Advice please!

Tosai
    berkokid, thank you for your response. I can assure you that I have been scouring the threads on numerous forum sites (read all the stickies) and the web for over 6 months on trying to figure out what to do. In fact, the schematic is a rip from one of the other forums. The only thing I removed is the inline UV light, since I already have one within my pressurized filter.

You are looking at the pond correctly in that the upper pond waterfalls into the lower pond. I have good water flow and no trouble moving water from up there down to the bottom pond. The water up there is crystal clear and there is nothing floating about as it falls right down. However, I do get the normal amount of debris on the bottom which I have no way of getting out at the moment other than by vacuuming it. Your idea to introduce more airflow in there there is a good one, as it would certainly kick/lift the debris at the bottom and push it into the lower pond where the bottom drain could take care of it. Your suggestion of an eductor seems to make the most sense in this case, as it will give me the most flow given that one pump is driving everything. I can put it at the end of the line after the pressurized filter where the cleaned water returns into the upper pond again. (I'm trying to avoid two separate circuits since the upper pond is so small). Given this fact, I also think a venturi in this upper pond would be sheer overkill and turn it into a jacuzzi and give the fish something to bump into.

The idea of an eductor is a fine one I can certainly take advantage of, and it will mean I no longer need a manifold and can perhaps use a 3-way valve instead. Plus no need for a 2nd retro bottom drain. Thanks for that. You've saved me money and upped the efficiency.

I understand clearly what you are saying about the gravity requirements of the settlement chamber and the need for it to be below water level. Based on the fact that it would be at the bottom of the slope, I can achieve that. Of course, the trick would be that I would want a drain under it to release the waste--and that's where I would run into the snag should I have to dig part of it beneath the ground to achieve the water line requirement. Even if I placed it on a pair of cinderblocks, I would have a hard time with getting even a short pipe back to ground level to get the waste out without angling up a bit. Could I get away with no settlement chamber? I realize that is not ideal and makes life easier for the pump....

Again, I'm trying to retro an existing pond I did not build. Had I put this in, I certainly would have done things much differently than the previous owner with the knowledge I have gotten from sites such as this one. Appreciate your comments/suggestions.

Meg
    the only place to put the SC is at pond water level because it works on gravity flow. it should flush clean even with a little slope upward with the drain pipe. not the best situation but water does equalize it's levels so a couple flushes and the drain to the SC should be clean.
    I fell you will regret not putting in a SC

read some more or better yet visit a few proper koi ponds and pick the owner's brains, most will readily tell you what works for them and what they wish they'd done