Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pond Peeling

I used Sani-Tred on my filtration area, the only pealing I have is where somebody scuffed it.......

What is the Sani-Tred applied to???

Sansai
    Do you have enough quarantine space to house your fish. They are going to have to come out. Then you can drain it and get a good look at it. Post some pics and go from there.

Meg
    I have sani-tred on my pond with no troubles, nearly 5 years now.
    Like Bill, I did it myself, not a difficult job.
    off the top of my head I would guess that it was somehow applied wrong.
    what ever the fix you need to plan on draining the pond and housing the koi else where for the duration.

contact sanitred folks, I'll pm you the link

Tosai
    thank you all...looks like I will need to find a home for 12 little friends. BTW, i have contacted Sani-Tred (meg, thanks for the link)...attached are a couple pictures i am sending to them today to figure out who owns the problem. Note that over the weekend the pond lost about 9" of water. The black sani-tred material looks very thin; perhaps the pond contractor did not apply thick enough?

Quote Originally Posted by mstrseed
    What is the Sani-Tred applied to???
    The pond is gunite with what appears to be a white material over the gunite and before the sanitred..you can see the white at the bottom of the pond where the Sani-Tred peeled off.

Quote Originally Posted by kent wallace
    Do you have enough quarantine space to house your fish.
    how much space do you recommend for 12 koi ~16"long?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pond Peeling-shards-1.jpg   Pond Peeling-pond-peeling.jpg   Pond Peeling-shards-4.jpg  

Sansai
    That's a case of delamination. It's not that it is too thin but was either not applied properly according to the manufacturers specs or was applied over a contaminant. It is remotely possible that the product itself had an issue in manufacture but that's hard to tell.

Tosai
    Arghhh...this is getting a little frustrating. My pond lost so much water this weekend, we found the pump cavitating when we returned on early this morning.

I now have exchanged a number of emails with Sani-Tred, and confirmed this afternoon with Mike Perret of Pond Life in Boulder Creek (my pond builder) that the Sani-Tred was adhered to gunite. Neither party is taking ownership of the problem and I am faced with draining and recoating the pond...BTW the builder originally told me that the spot was small and moss would soon cover it. As the customer, do I have any recourse with either the builder or SaniTred, or do I have suck it up and redo this myself (yikes!)?

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Burke View Post
    As the customer, do I have any recourse with either the builder or SaniTred, or do I have suck it up and redo this myself (yikes!)?
    Depends on a lot of things. Typically, manufacturers limit their liability to the replacement cost of the product which they manufactured. A lot of people have successfully used Sani-tred, so this peeling was probably due to an error in the application process. Still, you may be able to get the Sani-tred folks to either give you a little benefit of the doubt / show mercy and cut you a break on the cost of some more material -- maybe see if they'll sell to you at their cost the second time around?

As for the installer: Contractors are typically much more liable for these kinds of issues, since you are hiring them based on their abilities and expertise. First question: Did you have a contract with this builder? Second question: Was he licensed? Third question: Was he insured? I will forewarn you that -- even if you do take him to court and *win* a judgement -- collecting the actual settlement can be a trick unto itself. Best case scenario is that the contractor carried insurance, which gives you a *target* for renumeration. Figuring that out would be my next step.....

Meg
    if you read through the santitred site they list the materials can to be used on and how to apply it. now that you know what is under it do some reading and see if it was applied right. I don't recall the list but it is supossed to coat and even breach several different materials....like if you had a fiberglass pond and added a ring of cinder blocks to get more depth, you could coat the whole thing with sanitred.
    my pond is two old block walls and two new(new ones smoothed with skimcoat) and the thing I remember I had to take care with was the cement had to be DRY, I even had a heat gun on some areas to be sure.

How long after the gunite was sprayed did the Sani-Tred get applied?
    I, like Meganne did two coats (as recommended) and the first coat was tan followed by black.
    Mine was applied to concrete..................

Steve, probably hard to tell once it's been through the filters but if you pealed off a fresh piece and there is cement on it, then it's the rendering that is failing. If the chip is black both sides then it is a failure of the coating to bond due to improper surface preparation. I was in the Coatings industry for 30 years and inspected many such failures, extremely seldom is the actual coating at fault. That contractor should work with you, the sub-contractor and Sani-tred's chemical engineers to sort out the problem. Most manufactures are more than happy to do analysis on the samples of chips that you can provide

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast