Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pond Peeling

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist
    Did you have a contract with this builder? Second question: Was he licensed? Third question: Was he insured?
    Yes, we have a contract with Mike Perret of Pond Life...now checking if he is insured or licensed, but not looking forward to the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    Most manufactures are more than happy to do analysis on the samples of chips that you can provide
    Yep, just mailed Sani-Tred two samples...will let you know what they find.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrseed
    How long after the gunite was sprayed did the Sani-Tred get applied
    Not exactly sure how long after the gunite was done. Mike Perret said he applied two coats of SaniTred following a Muriatic acid wash and a torch down to dry.

Meg, my pond is roughly 5' deep so i will read through the sanitred site to see if i have to strip the entire pond or if sanitred will bond to itself. That way perhaps i do not need to strip the whole pond though this may be a good idea now that i think of it...just a ton of work.

[QUOTE=Steve Burke;141544]

Not exactly sure how long after the gunite was done. said he applied two coats of SaniTred following a Muriatic acid wash and a torch down to dry.

QUOTE]

When using saniTred do you still need use use thuroseal?

What is a torch down?

What PSI was the gunite shot at and was it allowed to cure correctly?

Tosai
    Hi Nancy M.,
    i am not sure of the PSI for the gunite, but it was applied by one of the companies in the bay area that does quite a bit of work (pools, ponds, buildings)...this was subcontracted by our pond builder. if really important i can call Mike, but i imagine he is getting frustrated with all the other questions...JLMK.

regarding Thuroseal, we do not have it, just two coats of Sani-Tred (per my pond builder). MEG seems to be a resident expert since MEG did it.

As far as "torch down" i probably used the wrong word. Mike told me he used a weeding torch to remove moisture from teh gunite prior to applying Sani Tred.

Steve,

Using heat (a torch) to "cure" or dry out a surface is NOT an approved method. It causes spalling and will only remove surface moisture......then guess what? the surface is dry and pulls moisture from below.

As an example, my gunite shell was water cured for 14 days........if I would have had it coated I would have waited another 14 days mim........

Muriatic acid after applied should be washed off completely.....like with a pressure washer or with a scrub brush. Not to mention rinsed thoroughly.

Sani-Tred will adhere to it's self, if propperly cleaned.............but with the ammount of failure I personally would not want the risk.

I am wondering if Xylene was used to cut the Sani-Tred........you can use it but I do not know what would happen if you used too much.........

But Meganne stating it was easy is an understatement...........she did not have to squeeze into a 1' pump chamber...............well she would have fit much better than me.
    Koi Wrangler
    CKHPA

Meg
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrseed View Post
    Steve,

Using heat (a torch) to "cure" or dry out a surface is NOT an approved method. It causes spalling and will only remove surface moisture......then guess what? the surface is dry and pulls moisture from below.

But Meganne stating it was easy is an understatement...........she did not have to squeeze into a 1' pump chamber...............well she would have fit much better than me.
    yes, I used the heat torch to dry a wet spot of rain water from prior days before sani-tred was applied

did I say easy??
    easy is relative.. it was a tacky sticky mess! LOL! ....but not rocket science.

two coats of sanit-tred went on my pond.
    tan then black, to be sure of what got covered twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    yes, I used the heat torch to dry a wet spot of rain water from prior days before sani-tred was applied

did I say easy??
    easy is relative.. it was a tacky sticky mess! LOL! ....but not rocket science.

two coats of sanit-tred went on my pond.
    tan then black, to be sure of what got covered twice.
    Yes but prior days allows the surface to return to a more normal state...........

I used a vacuum to dry mine then covered with a trap so I could work in the shade & rain........but as you know, I had 1000 sf to do.......and the "bony" one could not be coerce into helping

Mstrseed beat me to the punch, using the torch creates steam under the smooth troweled, less porous surface causing it to lift. This may not be initially apparent but it's bound to fail sooner or later.
    Last edited by MikeS; 08-12-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Spelling

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Burke View Post
    Yes, we have a contract with Mike Perret of Pond Life...now checking if he is insured or licensed, but not looking forward to the conversation.
    That already sounds like a "No" on both counts. If he was a licensed as a contractor in the state of California, his state license number would be printed on virtually every piece of paper you have from him, especially the contract.

Without a license, he would not be able to get insurance......

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist
    Without a license, he would not be able to get insurance......
    Paultergeist, Thanks for the que! I went to the calif state license board and found that Pond Life has an active "DBA" license and has a $12,500 bond. https://www2.cslb.ca.gov/OnlineServi...?LicNum=879617
    Any advice on my next step?

It's gonna be a mess any way you slice it as you'll have to empty your pond and strip the bottom. My suggestion at this point is to document everything as best you can including past and subsequent communications with the builder. Do you have any kind of guarantee from the builder? I am thinking without goodwill coming from the builder you are going to be out of luck after 2.5 years. Even the courts would side with him without a guarantee in place. Almost sounds like a Chemical strip, Pressure wash with baking soda and Polyurea spray.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast