Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pond Peeling

Tosai

Pond Peeling

My pond was professionally built by Dan and Mike of Pond Life here in the Bay Area, but the black bottom of the pond continues to peel and show the blotchy white area in the attached picture. I would like to just see my beautiful koi. Can anyone advise how to fix this?
    Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pond Peeling-peeling-pond.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Burke View Post
    My pond was professionally built by Dan and Mike of Pond Life here in the Bay Area, but the black bottom of the pond continues to peel and show the blotchy white area in the attached picture. I would like to just see my beautiful koi. Can anyone advise how to fix this?
    Thanks!
    What product was used for the sealant?

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M. View Post
    What product was used for the sealant?

In addition to what type of product was used, how long ago was it done?

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Hello Steve . . .

I guess you've contacted the pond builders about your problem?

Their response?

Best wishes, Don

Tosai
    Thank you all for the quick responses.

The pond was completed about 2.5 years ago, and was on our local Santa Clara pond tour in 2007...so proud of our little koi . Initially there was some small patches of peeling but Dan/Mike of Pond Life told me that these would disappear when algae grew on it...not so

I can call them to find out what the bottom is made of, but when I call they are too busy to look at it for me. Will let you know when Ifind out. BTW, small sections of this get into the pump filter, so I may be able to have it analyzed to determine the material but this will be expensive.

Thanks! Steve

Honmei
    Thank you all for the quick responses.

The pond was completed about 2.5 years ago, and was on our local Santa Clara pond tour in 2007...so proud of our little koi . Initially there was some small patches of peeling but Dan/Mike of Pond Life told me that these would disappear when algae grew on it...not so

I can call them to find out what the bottom is made of, but when I call they are too busy to look at it for me. Will let you know when Ifind out. BTW, small sections of this get into the pump filter, so I may be able to have it analyzed to determine the material but this will be expensive.

Thanks! Steve
    Kinda hard to tell you how to go about fixing it when we don't know what it is. Different renderings require different methods to fix.

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Tosai
    I just heard from Dan at Pond Life. He said the pond was coated with Sani Tred (url here:Wet Basement Waterproofing, Finishing & Flooring, Swimming Pool, Deck & Concrete Crack Repair, Roof & Industrial Floor Coating). Will appreciate hearing from any of you on how I should pursue getting the pond repaired as it now leaks more and requires daily top-ups. Thanks!

Honmei
    I just heard from Dan at Pond Life. He said the pond was coated with Sani Tred (url here:Wet Basement Waterproofing, Finishing & Flooring, Swimming Pool, Deck & Concrete Crack Repair, Roof & Industrial Floor Coating). Will appreciate hearing from any of you on how I should pursue getting the pond repaired as it now leaks more and requires daily top-ups. Thanks!

I would suggest contacting Sani-Tred and see what their procedures are for repairs. I am surprised that the installer didn't warrentee the work?

Steve
    CKHPA

Tosai
    To your point
    Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi
    I am surprised that the installer didn't warrentee the work?
    we are also surprised and honestly a bit diappointed. When we call Pond Life, Dan/Mike tell us that the coating is not their problem, but a problem with the suppiler they used to coat the pond. I do not understand the logic here, but they are simply unwilling to do anything about the peeling and leak....trying to find someone else to do this work is also proving to be very difficult. I will call SaniTred and see what they have to say...harrumph :-(

Honmei
    To your point
    we are also surprised and honestly a bit diappointed. When we call Pond Life, Dan/Mike tell us that the coating is not their problem, but a problem with the suppiler they used to coat the pond. I do not understand the logic here, but they are simply unwilling to do anything about the peeling and leak....trying to find someone else to do this work is also proving to be very difficult. I will call SaniTred and see what they have to say...harrumph :-(
    Having been in the construction industry, warrentee work is typically the responsibility of the General Contractor who's responsibility it is then to hold any sub contractors/suppliers accountible. Keep us posted on what Sani Tred says please.

Steve
    CKHPA

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast