Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Bio Chamber Set Up - Help with Picture

Fry

Bio Chamber Set Up - Help with Picture

My current setting of bio chamber is that all the bio balls are lose in the chamber i.e. I just dump all the bio balls (approx. 20,000 pcs) in the bio chamber. Therefore, the bio chamber is very dirty and very difficult to clean because the bio balls sit on the chamber floor. Iím planning to redo this chamber by constructing a simple rack inside the bio chamber as attached picture. So, the water will flow in from (1), go up flow from (2), filter by Bio balls and go out flow from (3).

My questions are:
    1. Is this new setting will slow down my flow rate compare to my current setting? The new setting is up-flow and the current setting is horizontal flow.
    2. Is my assumption correct that most of the dirt will be dropped/ collected at the bio chamber floor with my new setting?
    3. My drain for this chamber is position as attached picture. The floor of this chamber is almost level. If I flush the chamber, is it possible that all the dirt will be sucked in to the drain? How do I redo the drain so that it will efficiently suck the dirt? Do I need to put cover just like in the bottom drain?
    Really appreciate any comments and suggestions. Thanks

you shouldn't have dirt in your bio chamber.....it looks like you need a settlement chamber or another form of mechanical filtration such as a sieve ahead of your bio chamber.....bio balls aren't going to do much the way they are just laying on the bottom...up flow like you are thinking would be better but you need a way to get the poop out first.........if this is what you have for filtration , i would use this as a settlement chamber and then pump from here to a bakki shower and then return to pond.....one option anyway....

Meg
    if you already have a settlement chamber, as Powerman suggested to add, and are still having trouble with a dirty bio area consider adding air that you can boil the material clean with while flushing the chamber empty, however it sounds like what you have going on with your bio balls is a static filter.

perhaps contain some of the the media in a slotted container around the exit pipe to be your static filter and use air to continuasly boil the loose stuff....just a thought

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    if you already have a settlement chamber, as Powerman suggested to add, and are still having trouble with a dirty bio area consider adding air that you can boil the material clean with while flushing the chamber empty, however it sounds like what you have going on with your bio balls is a static filter.

perhaps contain some of the the media in a slotted container around the exit pipe to be your static filter and use air to continuasly boil the loose stuff....just a thought
    Thanks. I have two vortexes and a settlement chamber with brushes before this bio chamber. It seems like my settlement chamber donít work very well. Iíll redo it after Iím done with the bio chamber. My objective is to collect the dirt at the bottom of the chamber. If I build a container 4 to 6 inch off the bottom of the chamber to hold my bio balls inside this chamber with air as you suggested, will the dirt be collected at the bottom of the chamber?

Give us a little info on this Settlement Chamber(s) , how many gallons are they , how many GPH is your pump pumping .

Any photos would help , I tweak mine a couple years ago , man what a difference .

Meg
    Quote Originally Posted by hkomaruddin View Post
    Thanks. I have two vortexes and a settlement chamber with brushes before this bio chamber. It seems like my settlement chamber don’t work very well. I’ll redo it after I’m done with the bio chamber. My objective is to collect the dirt at the bottom of the chamber. If I build a container 4 to 6 inch off the bottom of the chamber to hold my bio balls inside this chamber with air as you suggested, will the dirt be collected at the bottom of the chamber?
    no I don't think that will work.
    it sounds like your bio balls are working as a fines filter, adding air will keep the fines from collecting in the balls but it will not keep the fines down below because the air will keep the water in the chamber stirred up.

I would some how divide the chamber and use the first part as a bio filter with air, and the second stage as a static fines filter