Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pond lighting: does the lights heat up the H2O to any significant degree?

Tosai

Pond lighting: does the lights heat up the H2O to any significant degree?

Here's another dumb question (from a newbie) but i was wondering, ... before i dig my ideal 6000 gallon pond, .... if i was to put, say, four pond-designated lights strategically located on the sides, and perhaps one on the bottom, ... would these lights heat up the pond to any significance, ... if one was to leave them on by accident all night long?

Also, ...Does anybody else have pond lighting and wish they would put more than one light, ... or wish they woulda put alternating colors of pond lights (for dramatic effects), ... or things like that...?

Meg
    I can't speak for other but I prefer my lighing of the pond to be done from above.
    when you light from with in the water any thing(and there is always stuff) is illuminated and the water does not appear very clear. but lite from above the koi at night look like they are painted on velvet.
    I love to sit at pondside at night
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pond lighting: does the lights heat up the H2O to any significant degree?-img_3637.jpg  

You nailed it Meg!

Light coming directly from the sides or bottom area does not do the pond or koi any justice in my opinion.

DUDE, you would be surprised how clear you "thought" your water was until you see them in this light.

If you use lights, put them where they shine downward from above onto the pond surface. They will highlight the koi just as Meg shows in her attached photos.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I can't speak for other but I prefer my lighing of the pond to be done from above.
    when you light from with in the water any thing(and there is always stuff) is illuminated and the water does not appear very clear. but lite from above the koi at night look like they are painted on velvet.
    I love to sit at pondside at night
    This picture is gorgeous, what can of lights do you have and you said they're have to be outside mean above the pond, more or less like how far, cause we put two lights in the beginning @ the bottom like one to the right and the other one in the other side, facing each other it was ok, but like your picture no way never was like that, like I said gorgeous picture and koi too

Meg
    we have four generic spot /flood lights, the kind that come in pairs and you can adjust the direction they are pointed in.
    they are hung under the eves of the houseto the west and south of the pond, one light from each pair shines on the the pond and they are on a dimmer switch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pond lighting: does the lights heat up the H2O to any significant degree?-nitedeck.jpg  

AS A NEWBIE myself to the forum I can tell you I agree with the lighting on top. HOWEVER...I have one LED light in the pond pointing downward. I love it..and all lights have a sensor cell this way I dont burn them up! ( did that and I melted my light )

Honmei
    I also agree concerning the use of above lighting. Better affect in my opinion plus with underwater lights you have to constantly clean the algae off of the lense(es). I had a swimming pool light in our pond in Dallas and finally simply quit using it for all of the above reasons.

Steve
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Thumbs up

we have four generic spot /flood lights, the kind that come in pairs and you can adjust the direction they are pointed in.
    they are hung under the eves of the houseto the west and south of the pond, one light from each pair shines on the the pond and they are on a dimmer switch
    Thanks for the inf. about the lights and the picture too, I know where I can hang them also, could be in the corners @ the house and that would face the pond from the right and left and would be really nice I hope, and the picture was beautiful, nice pond

Meg
    thank you, I love my pond and koi
    but I wish the pond was 3 times the size

anyone building and reading this.....MAKE IT BIGGER!!!!!!!!!

thank you, I love my pond and koi
    but I wish the pond was 3 times the size

anyone building and reading this.....MAKE IT BIGGER!!!!!!!!!

You're right and I wish the same thing too, cause ours is kind like yours

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast