Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Pond Design: Blocks and Liner?

Quote Originally Posted by Mississauga Ponder View Post
    have you considered Xypex Corporation
    Mississauga ponder Have you ever used this product can it be used for koi ponds I'm building a pond now made of 8''blocks and concrete floor then i was going to insulate with foam and see about having sprayed wit polyurea or liner don't really want a liner

MCA
    reconsider polyurea...very expensive and hard to find installers for the iniitial installation or later repairs. You could filberglass over the sheets of foam. If done properly, fiberglassing probably delivers the very best of pond sealants.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Natch...I typoed the depth. The depth is indeed 8 feet deep.

Would never build a shallower koi poind again if I have a choice. Remember these are riverine carp.
    I know Michael.............just poking at ya!!!

Nisai
    where do i find filberglass?? and how to do?

Quote Originally Posted by KoiKisses View Post
    Please clarify something for me....

If I were to build a block pond, say 4-5000 gals, could it be lined with epdm?

For some reason, I seem to recall reading somewhere that if one were to build a block pond, it should not be lined with epdm liner (and preliner) because the weight of the water against liner and block would cause the liner to become weak in places and rip.
    The answer is yes. First you have to decide what you really want. You can do that by visiting koi ponds in your area. How to find them is www.deepsouthkoi.org how did I know that ? KOI USA .
    So start by getting a subscription to Koi Usa and there are some great ponds featured if you can get some back issues .
    Before you make any plans dig down 5ft and see what you have. If it is clay you could put in EPDM but first put in cemment collar so walls could be dug 2ft vertical and linner securely held. If you go to cemment why not parge and bother with linner? a great time and money saver.
    If putting in linner never try and save a few cents on old carpet . Have you seen what it looks like in a few years under ground? Have you tried taking out folds when working with old carpet? Have you tried putting in a bottom drain with carpet around? Have you ever pached a hole made by a staple? Another factor is that old carpet has insolating factor so if you do not plan to heat or cool do not put it in. There is a felt that is designed for this purpose that is quite low cost. If you can not afford it you should not be building a pond.
    Regards
    Eugene

Daihonmei
    right now if I wanted a fiberglass layer on concrete I'd go to the nearest recreational boat manufacturing site and ask for some of the names of the better workers that have been laid off.
    I used liner on concrete for my Quarantine tank, but to save money. It is six ft deep. IT HAS A SAND, YES SAND, BOTTOM.
    I did not use underlayment; I skimcoated over the rough areas. It has been around 6 years(?) since I added water and there has not been a single issue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Pond Design:  Blocks and Liner?-ne-qt-05-24-03.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jumbo
    Another possible option is a custom made drop in liner. They are really nice for rec. ponds. Here's a picture of the one that went into my 28 foot long test tank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Pond Design:  Blocks and Liner?-51.jpg  

Tosai
    I will be building a new pond as well, I am really interested in the fiberglassing option and also the custom made liners. Where would I go to find a custom made liner or could I just do it myself with seams? I would prefer to not use seams.

MCA
    In a cube or rectangular pond with square corners you can do hospital corners (excess liner folds behind the pieces on the wall, not in front). Then you can seal the seam with E6100 (or similar) and/or use seam tape.

Our pond has 45 degree corners. We still used the hospital corners.

One thing that helps...put a foot or so water into the pond to hold the liner firmly on the floor when folding the walls and corners. Once all the corners are in and the adhesive has cured, drain the pond and cut in the BDs, skimmers, and TRPs. Wait a few days for the adhesive to cure...then you are ready to fill the pond (if the filteration is ready).
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by mrfjones View Post
    I Where would I go to find a custom made liner .
    I make and sell them. You can PM me if interested.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast