Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Pond Design: Blocks and Liner?

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    In a cube or rectangular pond with square corners you can do hospital corners (excess liner folds behind the pieces on the wall, not in front). Then you can seal the seam with E6100 (or similar) and/or use seam tape.

Our pond has 45 degree corners. We still used the hospital corners.

One thing that helps...put a foot or so water into the pond to hold the liner firmly on the floor when folding the walls and corners. Once all the corners are in and the adhesive has cured, drain the pond and cut in the BDs, skimmers, and TRPs. Wait a few days for the adhesive to cure...then you are ready to fill the pond (if the filteration is ready).
    Is there simply a hole cut in the bottom for a bottom drain? I would greatly appreciate pictures if you have any. A little off topic, but how many gallons would be sufficient to house 15 or so fish into adulthood?

MCA
    Putting in a bottom drain is very similar to putting in a skimmer or bulkhead fitting. You cut the hole in the liner to match the needed diamter. Typically you use an adhesive sealant, such as E6000 or no sag version E6100 on top and bottom of liner. Then you put stainless screws through a ring/flange/gasket and through the liner into the bottom part of the bottom drain.

Here are some examples:

Bottom Drain Installation: Installing a Bottom Drain

Bottom Drain Installation

Bottom Drains - Koi Pond aerated bottom drains - Koitoilet 1, Rhino II, Dream Pond

For 15 adult koi I would want at least 5000 gallons with excellent filtration and aeration.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Putting in a bottom drain is very similar to putting in a skimmer or bulkhead fitting. You cut the hole in the liner to match the needed diamter. Typically you use an adhesive sealant, such as E6000 or no sag version E6100 on top and bottom of liner. Then you put stainless screws through a ring/flange/gasket and through the liner into the bottom part of the bottom drain.

Here are some examples:

Bottom Drain Installation: Installing a Bottom Drain

Bottom Drain Installation

Bottom Drains - Koi Pond aerated bottom drains - Koitoilet 1, Rhino II, Dream Pond

For 15 adult koi I would want at least 5000 gallons with excellent filtration and aeration.
    MCA, thank you so much for all of your help, and patience with my many amateur questions. Those articles are very helpful. For my prospective 5000 gallon pond would you recommend more than one bottom drain accompanied with an air pump for each? And for the filtration system, I'm considering a building a bakki shower, and ordering the media. Ideally I would like to include a UV system, but as of now I haven't really researched it much. I'm just trying to set up the best living conditions I can for my current fish, and hopefully have room for about ten more!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123