Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Removing Nitrate? advice pleaassse! :)

Tosai

Removing nitrate

Hi wilson.Most plants such as water lettuce, and water hiacynth will use nitrates directly, but from Kevin's cd book and reading on these forums, most water plants do not use nitrate directly as it suposedly requires too much energy? I think The anoxic filter is suposed to be able to convert nitrates back to nitrite or ammonia so it's easier for plants to use. Haven't re-read the cd book in quite awhile, and would suggest you take a serious look at it first. Paul-I use other filtration, but only for mechanical and pre- filtering purposes. Cleaner is better! jmho Since it will sit in the Anoxic filter for 6 months. I don't want any more wastes and solids in there than the absolute minimum. I keep dying plant material out of it too. I am using 42 biocenosis pots with out plants, and have 7 with marginals, and 5 with water lilies. My pond and anoxic filter ponds are in the cd book linked on koipken forum. I'm not sure how to post photos here, but will try. This is a very easy and inexpensive filter system both to install and maintain. I did it with a very heavy koi fish load and minimal water changes and have been very satisfied with my results. Many of us are always trying new and "better" filtration systems diy or purchased, and for anyone wishing to spend less on water or where there is a shortage, and or doesn't have much time to spend on maintenance, this is a very effective solution. And the best one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkoinut View Post
    Hi wilson.Most plants such as water lettuce, and water hiacynth will use nitrates directly, but from Kevin's cd book and reading on these forums, most water plants do not use nitrate directly as it suposedly requires too much energy? I think The anoxic filter is suposed to be able to convert nitrates back to nitrite or ammonia so it's easier for plants to use. Haven't re-read the cd book in quite awhile, and would suggest you take a serious look at it first. Paul-I use other filtration, but only for mechanical and pre- filtering purposes. Cleaner is better! jmho Since it will sit in the Anoxic filter for 6 months. I don't want any more wastes and solids in there than the absolute minimum. I keep dying plant material out of it too. I am using 42 biocenosis pots with out plants, and have 7 with marginals, and 5 with water lilies. My pond and anoxic filter ponds are in the cd book linked on koipken forum. I'm not sure how to post photos here, but will try. This is a very easy and inexpensive filter system both to install and maintain. I did it with a very heavy koi fish load and minimal water changes and have been very satisfied with my results. Many of us are always trying new and "better" filtration systems diy or purchased, and for anyone wishing to spend less on water or where there is a shortage, and or doesn't have much time to spend on maintenance, this is a very effective solution. And the best one for me.

I like this and I'm interesting, how I can learn or see more about this filter that you're talking about, can you pm with more inf. or give me a link, I have a heavy load ok kois and might help me

Tosai
    Anoxic Filtration. - Koiphen.com There's a link to a older version of the cd book in here too. Good luck and have fun.

Tategoi
    Paul-I use other filtration, but only for mechanical and pre- filtering purposes. Cleaner is better!

This is a very easy and inexpensive filter system both to install and maintain. I did it with a very heavy koi fish load and minimal water changes and have been very satisfied with my results.
    Hi DK,

I guess what I am saying is: your intended purposes for the mechanical filters not-withstanding, you are still likely to have pretty significant bacterial colonization on the beads and brushes. I absolutely agree, however, that the cleaner, the better. I am considering some static K1 in my current design.....

It does not sound to me like you have enough plants to really account for as much nitrate up-take as you are measuring, so this would seem to indicate that the baskets themselves (of which you certainly have quite a few) may indeed be responsible for this (desired) result of nitrate reduction. I am delighted to hear that the system is working out for you; I may yet well be inspired to incorporate some of these baskets in my current design.

(Go ahead, say it! I know what you're thinking! "Yeah, right, like that guy is ever going to dig a pond...")

In the meanwhile, pictures would be worth a thousand words if you can manage it!

Do please keep in touch.

Paul

Meg
    it is my understanding it takes a lot of plants for plants to make a difference......like equal to the coverage of the whole pond with say something like water hiacynth, which opens a world of other issues...
    and a few plants added to the top of a filter or connected pond/bog( like in some in the link provided) wont do much but make the filter difficult to maintane and clean
    ...but the added filter itself is a good idea.

overall it seems to make more sence to have proper filtration and stocking levels

but hey, thats just me

I'm trying to remember the last time I had a nitrate reading above 10ppm. Usually it runs around 5 even with modest water changes and we don't plant the pond. It has been that way with bay filtration and with showers both, so I assume it comes down to the pond wall algae doing the deed along with de-gassing from the waterfalls.
    The idea of incorporating anoxic nitrification does have a lot of appeal if it can be done without compromising the rest of the filtration system. I can't go to KP to look, so if you'd like to post some pix here we'd all be more than happy to take a look see at what you are doing.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Tosai

removing nitrate.

If the photos upload, the first is of the koi pond 9'4" X20' X 5.5'. I hope to cover block walls someday with a stone vineer. The second and thirt are the Anoxic pond which is 5'4" X 9'4" X 2'4" deep. After hearing about this type of filtration system, I doubted it could really work on a "koi pond", and decided to test it for myself and our club. I already had the upper pond, so the only expences were the pots, some cat litter, laterite, and some gravel. All totaled less than $200.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Removing Nitrate? advice pleaassse! :)-000_0054.jpg   Removing Nitrate? advice pleaassse! :)-100_0040.jpg  

Meg
    here you go Larry...
    Anoxic Filtration System

Meg
    If the photos upload, the first is of the koi pond 9'4" X20' X 5.5'. I hope to cover block walls someday with a stone vineer. The second and thirt are the Anoxic pond which is 5'4" X 9'4" X 2'4" deep. After hearing about this type of filtration system, I doubted it could really work on a "koi pond", and decided to test it for myself and our club. I already had the upper pond, so the only expences were the pots, some cat litter, laterite, and some gravel. All totaled less than $200.
    being as your filter pond is at least half the size of your fish pond, running the water through all those baskets linning the filter pond should work with or with out plants.
    is this all the filtration you have?
    and how do you clean out the filter pond? or do you?

Tosai
    Meg- the Anoxic filtration pond is actually only13.6% of the volume of my koi pond. It's drained to waste ( recycled to my gardens) in March and Sepptember as explained in the CD book. I hose it out and clean off the baskets and winterize as most ponders do. Although the cd book you reference has been updated I'd suggest a good read. Not really too long and ask kevin Novak if you have questions or don't understand parts of it. He wrote and developed this system over the past 18 to 20 years.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast