Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Luke: Did you use Xypex?

Tategoi

Question for Luke: Did you use Xypex?

Hello Luke,

I think you are the Luke of "Lake Luke" fame, but if I am incorrect, please accept my apologies.

There is a construction thread brewing over at one of the *other* forums, and a recent post raised the topic of water-proofing a concrete pond. In particular, Xypex was suggested as a possible application for the concrete pond interior, and "Lake Luke in Florida" was cited as a pond build which used Xypex. Assuming that you are the correct Luke, did you indeed use Xypex to render the interior walls of your pond? If so, are you happy with the outcome?

Based on this recent post, I have a feeling that others from KP are likely to wander over here looking to ask the same question.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Paul

Daihonmei
    yep Xypex was and is a fantastic product for waterproofing water containers....
    the thing is it wasn't brought to the koi hobby by one of the dickheaded darlings, and it is inexpensive and easy for ANY STUCCO CREW to apply in a perfect waterproof barrier. Since any stucco crew can apply it there isn't going to be a group of commercially invested "businessmen" promoting it, and since Xypex makes their money in the "Real World" of massive construction.
    here is a site that carries the "Lakeluke" build
    Lake Luke

Look for pics of guys applying stucco-page 5 or so... and read the surrounding comments...if you have any questions I'll be happy to reply ..either here or there...
    Xypex is better than anything out there for waterprooofing a well built concrete shell. It is used in commercial applications far exceeding the use of "koi pond."
    Last edited by luke frisbee; 08-20-2009 at 11:30 AM.

Daihonmei
    Xypex Corporation

the site has been redone since I found it 5 years ago...seems now it is used for swimming pools....
    I can't believe 'the hobby" doesn't have this as the norm.

Tategoi
    Luke,

Thanks very much for the reply and for the link to the construction thread. I am encouraged to learn of your positive experiences using Xypex. I had no idea as to the scope of your undertaking. Amazing. "Lake Luke" indeed.

I can also really appreciate your ambition to foster the develop of more energy efficient pumps. Here in San Diego County, we are on a "tiered" electricity-pricing structure, and the electrical costs of running even a pair of very modest centrifugal pumps can easily bump up the utility charge by an additional $100 bucks a month or more. This makes me take pause. I have been playing around with some airlift tubes as a possible strategy towards a more energy-efficient filtration strategy, but the low vertical lift may prove too problematic for me. That jury is still out.

At any rate, thanks very much for the response.

Daihonmei
    I am considering either an airlift system or a "very low...EXTREMELY LOW propeller pump...by extremely low I mean a couple of inches of lift

Daihonmei
    A week ago i got some of the common wall between the raceway and the lake cut out so i could increase the flow dramatically between the vortex and the raceway. I am going to try and force an 8 inch diameter pipe from the vortex (a hole was cut into the vortex wall too).
    I took this pic with my cell phone.
    It isn't an ideal angle to explain a couple of things, but the first thing I think is clear to see is the thickness of the stucco that xypex was added to to create a waterproof barrier.
    The second thing is that while the concrete saw could get at alot of the wall a sledge hammer had to be sued to detach the cut-out block where the saw couldn't reach..you should be able to see how well the stucco fused with the block to the side where the block was busted out.
    That is not to say that it was 100% fuse but it had attached pretty darn good.... and as the crystals in the xypex grow towards water the wetter you keep the block in the beginning the better the stucco attaches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Question for Luke: Did you use Xypex?-xypex-stucco-thickness.jpg  

Tategoi
    Thanks for the additional feed on this thread, Luke. It is encouraging to hear how well the Xypex-stucco adhered to the block, as well as your overall positive experiences with this material.

I will confess I wasn't quite able to follow the photo.......no, wait.....if I turn my monitor upside-down, I think I can see Elvis.....eating a sandwich.....

I appreciate the update!

Tosai
    Did you buy the xypex yourself or did you have a contractor buy and install it? I went to the manf. website and they don't list any place where to buy it - just an "email me and a distributor will contact you". To me that just screams we only want to deal with contractors. Which means that if there isn't a local contractor that deals with this stuff, we're pretty much SOL.

It does seem like an interesting product, though. I don't know how it would compare in cost to other methods.

Daihonmei
    i had to do exactly what they asked. they gave me the contact information for a supplier in Miami. i bought a big bucket of the "red stuff" it cost about 95 bucks and shipping was another 20 or so.
    I hired a stucco crew and had them put it in the stucco per the guidelines on the bucket

Tosai
    Is that all you needed was 1 bucket to cover your whole pond? (Well you know, that plus the stucco.) It's nice to know that they didn't turn a blind eye to you as an individual. I may have to rethink (again) my idea of how I'm going to build my pond upgrade. It's so nice doing the planning months before I actually start digging.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast