Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: NI mid-water pick ups...

Daihonmei

NI mid-water pick ups...

JR, are you ok?
    can you explain how the water a foot-and-a-half lower in the water column(the water going in the bottom drains) is gonna NOT have the same floating particulate as that entering the mid-water returns?

Tategoi
    A pond is an effective particle seperator; that's why the heavy waste is gathered from there. One way of improving on a small vortex separator is to draw more water from the mid drain to bypass the BD. The balance is correct when you see the waste moving properly toward the BD for pickup. If there's less water being sucked up(down) you need to consider that dome airation may draw fines away from the BD and move it into the water column.

A skimmer could do it as well but then you will have the floating stuff(rubber duckeys & such) in the settlement chamber. Not a problem as long as the fines filtration is capable of handling it.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich L View Post
    One way of improving on a small vortex separator is to draw more water from the mid drain to bypass the BD. The balance is correct when you see the waste moving properly toward the BD for pickup. If there's less water being sucked up(down) you need to consider that dome airation may draw fines away from the BD and move it into the water column.
    Hi Rich,
    Would you mind elaborating on how using mid drain water to bypass the bottom drain improves a small vortex separator? I am planning on building a diy vortex separator but have no experience with them. I think I must have missed the beginning of the discussion. Would like to learn how to improve my design. Thank you.