Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Test Tank

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post

I'm curious about the wooden docks. What kind of wood do you use and how are they setting on the liner? Or are they cantelevered?
    The posts are pine, sitting on 3/4 inch plywood feet with carpet between them and the liner. The decking is fir, all untreated.

Steve,
    The swimming/resting behavior you describe is precisely what I was anticipating. It very much mirrors the way ours would move about the pond seeking different currents and moving into the stream when they wanted to "fight the rapids" so to speak
    It should be a real treat to see how they develop and grow in this tank and I'm certain we'll all be impressed with the results

Thanks. Guess that won't work for me since I sloped the bottom. Darn.

Jumbo
    Not much to report. Tank and all the fish are just putting along nicely. Fish still play in the currents some, but not all the time. Biggest thing I have noticed is you can't fill them up. Now bear in mind when I feed it's small amounts, so it will get eaten before going down the skimmer, maybe 4 dozen pellets. But There have been times I have fed them small amounts every 5 minutes for a dozen or two feedings and they just keep eating. Until I get tired and go back in the house. And with all this feeding the shower has never got over loaded. Still showing 0 on everything.

OK, next test. In the past I have always buffered my well/pond water to 125 PPM both KH and GH. Keeping my PH at a steady 8.2. My well water is very soft, 70 ppm on my TDS meter. So I am going to discontinue buffering the tank water, and with the flow through just let it go and see where the PH and TDS get down to.

My starting points 11/20 were
    PH 8.2
    TDS 400
    ORP 280
    tonight
    PH 7.88
    TDS 320
    ORP 322

If you have read any of Mike Snaden's articles he is a strong advocate for soft water so lets see what happens and see if I can see any benefit.

Jumbo
    Been a week now and the increased flow through is still lowering my TDS.

This mornings readings.
    ORP 309
    TDS 220
    PH 7.9

By the way, I have 3 other tanks going here that have never been buffered. All three of them are heavily stocked, have well water flow troughs, about 5 gph, and all three are reading 80 ppm TDS. So this is what I am shooting for here.

Jumbo
    My TDS reduction is still coming along nicely. This morning TDS was down to 120 ppm.

Jumbo
    I got a "Seatest" dissolved oxygen test kit. My water is 72 degrees. According to the directions saturation at that temp is 8.7 ppm. When using the test one drop is one ppm. so
    Water right off the shower took 9 drops, slightly super saturated, which I would expect.
    Water off the bottom at the opposite end of the tank took 8 drops, 8 ppm, pretty good considering the fish load.

Vantastic, this is the type of information we need to improve what we already know about the best possible environment to place our koi in.
    Great Job Steve,
    Bob

Jumbo
    TDS now down to 100

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123